More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Managing the message is how it’s phrased.

I just find it interesting. Stuff disappearing here, then disappearing on other sites too. Little of it appears to be especially defamatory either. Just openly critical. Now the papers seem to want to collect complainers name, address, email, and phone number before they will publish their views. It all has a fairly totalitarian feel to it at first glance. 

23 hours ago, Gladys said:

Have these issues been raised with DBC? 

Can I suggest you re-read my post and then put yourself in those shoes and then ask yourself whether your pride would allow you to appeal to the council for mercy?

I'd rather my back-lane entered the Guinness Book of Records for the highest mountain of uncollected side waste before I'd ask those unelected amateurs at DBC for a lecture on the correct way to think about green issues.

I wasn't asked. I'm being forced. I don't like it.

14 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

Can I suggest you re-read my post and then put yourself in those shoes and then ask yourself whether your pride would allow you to appeal to the council for mercy?

I'd rather my back-lane entered the Guinness Book of Records for the highest mountain of uncollected side waste before I'd ask those unelected amateurs at DBC for a lecture on the correct way to think about green issues.

I wasn't asked. I'm being forced. I don't like it.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a solution not standing on my pride.  By engaging with DBC they will see the issue it causes and you may be provided with a solution which helps you. .

I don't think you get a visit from any of the Councillors, but someone from the waste department who, you rightly say, are indeed unelected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

I just find it interesting. Stuff disappearing here, then disappearing on other sites too. Little of it appears to be especially defamatory either. Just openly critical. Now the papers seem to want to collect complainers name, address, email, and phone number before they will publish their views. It all has a fairly totalitarian feel to it at first glance. 

Oh, please!   From just finding it interesting to totalitarianism in one paragraph?

It’s like listening to Rik in The Young Ones!

Edited by Jarndyce
Addition
  • Haha 2

On 12/28/2022 at 12:12 AM, Gladys said:

Have these issues been raised with DBC? 

Did DBC consult with residents such as these before the change? We know that the issue of fortnightly collection was in the 'news' but I suspect that a lot of folk have different priorities and pressures in their lives than to worry about when their rubbish is collected.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Oh, please!   From just finding it interesting to totalitarianism in one paragraph?

It’s a perfectly reasonable stance. As I said something really does not look right and I see even an ex forum moderator above states that the head of the council has tried to get stuff removed on here by falsely claiming it’s defamatory so totalitarianism would seem to be appropriate for someone who acts like that to try to manage media messaging.

12 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

It’s a perfectly reasonable stance. As I said something really does not look right and I see even an ex forum moderator above states that the head of the council has tried to get stuff removed on here by falsely claiming it’s defamatory so totalitarianism would seem to be appropriate for someone who acts like that to try to manage media messaging.

That’s not what I said!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

It’s always been the case that the press will only publish anonymous “ name & address withheld” readers letters if they have the name and address. Nothing new. As for e-mail or phone it’s just a reflection of modern methods of stampless communication 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s not what I said!

Ok apologies. You said “We've had it on here before when your CEO has tried to stifle freedom of expression under the guise of “protecting employees” I must have misinterpreted. I just find this stuff all very odd.

I also find it odd that Councillor thinks it’s ok to kick off publicly as he doesn’t get his bag on time at the airport. But admits to reporting comments made on a newspaper site which seem to have been made by people equally annoyed about perceived poor service provision by his own council.

CD85B10D-B29E-4A1F-B2F6-68CFCF0A41F6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Ok apologies. You said “We've had it on here before when your CEO has tried to stifle freedom of expression under the guise of “protecting employees” I must have misinterpreted. I just find this stuff all very odd.

I also find it odd that Councillor thinks it’s ok to kick off publicly as he doesn’t get his bag on time at the airport. But admits to reporting comments made on a newspaper site which seem to have been made by people equally annoyed about perceived poor service provision by his own council.

CD85B10D-B29E-4A1F-B2F6-68CFCF0A41F6.jpeg

@Steady Eddie your post seems to indicate, at best, poor comprehension/fact processing, or,  at worst, deliberate misrepresentation.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest the material was, or wasn't, defamatory. I said the CEO complained because she claimed a right to do so to protect employees. 

As for Frank, how do you conclude they were his bags? That photo is in the main ground floor hall looking towards the doors through which passengers emerge from the baggage collection hall after collecting their bags.

The reasonable deduction/conclusion is that he was waiting to collect someone.

Plus, if the comments he complained about were defamatory, then he’s entitled to. Complaining about, or drawing  attention to, delays in deplaning and getting luggage onto the belt isn’t defamatory. Unless he makes a baseless accusation that the baggage handlers are, for instance, rifling through the bags and that is causing the delay. Huge distinction. You’re conflating two very different things.

Thats the issue about DBC and bins. The language, personalisation, vituperation used by tose dissatisfied has gone beyond. There are posters here, and on FB with no filter, no self awareness.

There is no right/obligation to bin collection weekly. There’s a statutory obligation to remove refuse. How it’s acheived, what vehicles, how frequently, is totally down to the Corpy. Ratepayers aren’t entitled, and shouldn’t expect, to micromanage. Neither, for that matter, should councillors. They rely on the officials and the advice they give.

I get that tempers are frayed. But honestly it’s worth giving it a go. If it causes problems talk to the council. I did. I think it’s resolved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1