More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Usually the biggest cost is headcount.

I would say £30k isn't even 1 person... Eh?

Bit surprised the trials DBC would have run failed to turn up these issues prior to the changeover...

There is no saving on headcount

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of this purported £30k saving.

I think just gate fees at the EFWP

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of this purported £30k saving.

You and I both know there'll be no savings.... because the less volume that goes into the incinerator = increased charges from the EfW plant to pay for fuel to keep the damned thing going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

increased charges from the EfW plant to pay for fuel to keep the damned thing going

If there isn't enough waste then Suez simply turn the EFW furnace off. It's what they did in spring 2020 during Covid. They don't routinely burn oil to keep it running. They do burn oil briefly when they turn it on again.

I'd be very surprised if the contracts with the EFW didn't stipulate an overall minimum tonnage that Suez charge regardless, though. But then that would be a central Government problem and not a DBC problem.

Suez don't want glass and metal in their furnace, it doesn't burn, so there is some benefit in recycling this. I still think plastic is better to be burned for electricity than shipped across Europe for "recycling".

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

You and I both know there'll be no savings.... because the less volume that goes into the incinerator = increased charges from the EfW plant to pay for fuel to keep the damned thing going.

The EFW fees will just go up for everyone else so it’s a pointless exercise. Douglas pays less for a shirt while (potentially) then the EFW put the rates up even higher on the smaller volume they get from DBC and everyone else as they need to same level of fees to be viable. The whole thing is a totally pointless exercise in moving deck chairs round on the Titanic whilst reducing services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe that no Douglas rate payer on here has told Dr Haywood to stick her swimming pool where the sun don't shine. I have had years of abuse over Douglas rates compared to where i live, it shock me that she seems to have got away with trying to make douglas rate payers pay towards the NSC.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/local-authority-involvement-key-for-regional-pools-says-mhk/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

I can't believe that no Douglas rate payer on here has told Dr Haywood to stick her swimming pool where the sun don't shine. I have had years of abuse over Douglas rates compared to where i live, it shock me that she seems to have got away with trying to make douglas rate payers pay towards the NSC.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/local-authority-involvement-key-for-regional-pools-says-mhk/

With the swimming pool strategy its an embarrassment that the taxpayer spent the money in the first place (which was in response to the demands of the local authorities) on such a pointless document with such an obvious conclusion. If local pools don’t make money then shut them down or pay for them on your rates. If you were in the UK having a pool 20 minutes away from where you live would be absolutely fine. The NSC is on a bus route. But central funding for a load of decrepit loss making pools that local authorities haven’t adequately maintained on the rates over the last 20 years isn’t the answer. 

• Like 2

Nice to see that Wales has now introduced reverse vending machine to encourage recycling, this is something I saw working very effectively when visiting Scandinavian countries more than 25 years ago. (Permafrost slightly inhibits burying waste in the ground!)

You take your empty bottles with you when you go shopping, post them in the vending machine and get a shopping voucher in return - perhaps DBC should introduce this or even, heaven forbid, it could be implemented island-wide as a Climate Change Initiative.

My bill for that suggested action plan is in the post.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64336199

just as an extra thought, the vouchers could be donated to the Food Banks to assist those in need … 

Edited by 360 View
Extra line
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, 360 View said:

Nice to see that Wales has now introduced reverse vending machine to encourage recycling, this is something I saw working very effectively when visiting Scandinavian countries more than 25 years ago. (Permafrost slightly inhibits burying waste in the ground!)

Yes but you’re confusing the issue here. Nothing DBC has actually done is about recycling. If it had have been they’d have done it properly rather than give everyone a tiny crappy bucket with a plastic sheet on top as their recycling solution. It’s simply about saving money on EFW gate fees. That’s what is pissing people off it’s not about recycling at all and if it had of been they’d have done it all properly. As you say that would be a good idea to encourage recycling but it would cost money therefore DBC wouid never do it in a million years despite how green they pretend to be. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

Yes but you’re confusing the issue here. Nothing DBC has actually done is about recycling. If it had have been they’d have done it properly rather than give everyone a tiny crappy bucket with a plastic sheet on top as their recycling solution. It’s simply about saving money on EFW gate fees. That’s what is pissing people off it’s not about recycling at all and if it had of been they’d have done it all properly. As you say that would be a good idea to encourage recycling but it would cost money therefore DBC wouid never do it in a million years despite how green they pretend to be. 

May be true but it’s how LAs in the uk started off years ago. No doors Qatar stream either, same as here. Then central uk gov injected a load of cash for each LA, set recycling targets and then created a food waste stream. IOM gov have done none of this - I mean they don’t even have a policy for this piece of 37mile land! So we’re left with all our LAs doing what they think is the right think to do. 

1 minute ago, Satan666 said:

May be true but it’s how LAs in the uk started off years ago. No doors Qatar stream either, same as here. Then central uk gov injected a load of cash for each LA, set recycling targets and then created a food waste stream. IOM gov have done none of this - I mean they don’t even have a policy for this piece of 37mile land! So we’re left with all our LAs doing what they think is the right think to do. 

DBC has done nothing as the right thing to do. It’s literally done nothing but take away the ability to get rid of waste. It’s upgraded or replaced exactly no recycling bins, or improved any domestic infrastructure to help people recycle more. It’s simply removed the ability to get rid of more than a certain amount of waste. It’s so cynically lazy and pointless it’s laughable.

On 1/14/2023 at 10:44 AM, WTF said:

no, cos DBC never look at facebook do they ............................................

Wells likely doesn’t. I understand that they can’t have people reporting into her in her actual paid job with an insurance company as she’s such an obnoxious line manager. By extension that would seem to roll out into her illustrated leadership skills at DBC. Maybe it’s worth re watching the video of that meeting at the Legion. The whole thing seems to have been fairly hideous as echoed on Facebook and elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

DBC has done nothing as the right thing to do. It’s literally done nothing but take away the ability to get rid of waste. It’s upgraded or replaced exactly no recycling bins, or improved any domestic infrastructure to help people recycle more. It’s simply removed the ability to get rid of more than a certain amount of waste. It’s so cynically lazy and pointless it’s laughable.

Neither has iom recycle but no one moans about them. Was exactly the same in the UK. Now the UK are looking at this island thinking what a bunch of scruffy moaning guys we are. 3 of my UK mates have joined FB Residents against fortnightly just for the crack and say it’s embarrassing. Overall impression we’re giving, rightly or wrongly is pretty shocking. Yes of course DBC could have done things better but we all took no notice until it was brought into play. Plus it’s worth pointing out that the previously elected Councillors. Looking at the amount of research some in these minutes - I wouldn’t class them as being lazy.