More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Using a machine to clean the beach because doing it manually would take staff away from weeding and grass-cutting at a critical time".

They must have other matters on at this critical time too because there's precious little of either getting done now let alone whilst cleaning the beach.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

“Using a machine to clean the beach because doing it manually would take staff away from weeding and grass-cutting at a critical time".

They must have other matters on at this critical time too because there's precious little of either getting done now let alone whilst cleaning the beach

You’re in the wrong thread, mate - this one is exclusively for kicking DBC!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Using a machine to clean the beach because doing it manually would take staff away from weeding and grass-cutting at a critical time".

They must have other matters on at this critical time too because there's precious little of either getting done now let alone whilst cleaning the beach.

On Island a couple of weeks ago and Ramsey looks like they totally gave up on weed killing.

There must be a big budget Zombie Apocalypse film being made and Ramsey are trying to be a location?

Edited by Blade Runner

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Looks like DBC must have had a big rates windfall. Advertising for 8 new staff over a range of skills 

Is one of them to rotate the stock of rusty old bikes from the tip and chain them to the new bike rack?  There's so many now they have had to chain them to the railings.  Deary me.

Some of them haven't spun a wheel in ten years.

Screenshot_2023-08-29-07-40-14-97_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.thumb.jpg.c51b5efd4ab3d4a6a6c6a7a117b0938b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

There must be a big budget Zombie Apocalypse film being made and Ramsey are trying to be a location?

Townspeople with knowledge of what goes on know the reasons behind this state of affairs and some of it is legacy from those  now departed the Town Hall. It may take a good few years to turn this around depending on the degree of willingness to address it.

58 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Is one of them to rotate the stock of rusty old bikes from the tip and chain them to the new bike rack?  There's so many now they have had to chain them to the railings.  Deary me.

Screenshot_2023-08-29-07-40-14-97_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.thumb.jpg.c51b5efd4ab3d4a6a6c6a7a117b0938b.jpg

Is that the rack on the Prom over towards Queens Prom? If so that’s just wrong . That bike isn’t going anywhere anytime soon ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Looks like DBC must have had a big rates windfall. Advertising for 8 new staff over a range of skills 

Or maybe, and hear me out here because it’s a wild idea, we are looking for replacements because people left. I know, shocker. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Internet user in “stuff rusts when parked by the sea” shocker. I pass by there most mornings on my bike, which also has a well rusty chain thanks to being parked next to that saltwater body, and most bikes along the prom appear to be used all the time. I don’t get why people have to find something bad in everything. The DOI saw there’s a need for a bike rack and they installed one which is now being used a lot. It’s good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Internet user in “stuff rusts when parked by the sea” shocker. I pass by there most mornings on my bike, which also has a well rusty chain thanks to being parked next to that saltwater body, and most bikes along the prom appear to be used all the time. I don’t get why people have to find something bad in everything. The DOI saw there’s a need for a bike rack and they installed one which is now being used a lot. It’s good. 

More money lavished on the pampered cyclists.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

More money lavished on the pampered cyclists.

Oh, please…a bike rack?   I know kicking the cyclists is your hobby, but a bike rack?   Lavish?   Pampering?

I’m not a cyclist myself, but I can see the utility of it and I’m guessing the outlay was less than “lavish”…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Any weed killerers in that list?

Well according to DBC's own list:

Vehicle Technician

An exciting opportunity has arisen for a dedicated and enthusiastic plant technician to join as a member of our Fleet Services Team to ensure an efficient and effective maintenance service is provided to the Council. As part of this role you will carry out vehicle and equipment repairs to a safe, reliable and legal standard.

Craftsman's Labourer

We are looking for 2 permanent Craftsman’s Labourers to join our existing Housing Maintenance team. You will assist qualified tradesmen with their day to day duties undertaking a broad range of maintenance tasks. You must have proven experience working within a construction or building services industry, along with good educational standard to GCSE Level or equivalent. If you are physically fit and able to carry out manual handling operations, and have a full clean valid driving licence, then we would welcome an application from you

Multiskilled Tradesperson (Masonry & Plastering)

Douglas Borough Council is seeking a keen individual who is interested in working as a Multi skilled tradesperson within the Housing Maintenance Section. The successful applicant will carry out plastering/masonry and all associated building work to a high standard ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction, including repairs and maintenance of Council properties. It is essential that candidates have City and Guilds/NVQ Level 2 or equivalent qualification in Plastering or Masonry, along with relevant post qualification experience as a Plasterer or Mason. A full clean valid driving licence is also essential.

Finance Manager LTC

An excellent opportunity has arisen for an ambitious, positive and innovative professional to join our Finance Team. We are building on our solid financial management to ensure that we meet the financial and non-financial challenges currently affecting local government. You should be able to provide excellent support, information and advice to officers and Committees to ensure the highest level of service provision.

You will be able to report financial information clearly. You should have sufficient previous experience in an accountancy environment with accountancy skills up to the level of the production of final accounts. If you are driven, motivated and have the ability to work with colleagues at all levels as well as being a strong team player who uses initiative and diplomacy when liaising with both internal and external customers, then we would welcome an application from you.

Gardener Labourer
Douglas Borough Council is seeking to recruit to the role of Gardener/Labourer. If you are enthusiastic, green fingered and hands on with a desire to keep all gardens, grounds and parks beautifully presented and maintained then we would like to receive an application from you. You should have practical experience and be hardworking, flexible and self-motivated. Applicants must be physically able to undertake the demands of the job.

Groundworker - Civils Team
You will carry out instructions to deliver civils works to the agreed quality/standard within timescales specified whilst adhering to the Council’s safety requirements. You must have proven experience of civil engineering ground working excavations and reinstatement on the highway particularly in the vicinity of live cables and utility services. A driving licence is also essential.

Head of Parks
Douglas Borough Council owns and manages a portfolio of award winning parks and open spaces. The Council received its first Green Flag award in 2019, and since then its tally of flags has grown to an impressive nine.

We are looking for someone to continue to build on these achievements, someone who is passionate about their work and who has excellent leadership, communication and organisational skills in order to drive the Council’s Parks Service to reflect the needs and aspirations of the local community.

Leading the Parks Service, the successful candidate will demonstrate a proven ability to work within a complex and varied environment, will be experienced in leading and motivating front line services, delivering projects and working collaboratively across Council services with a range of stakeholders.

Digital Applications Technician
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic individual to join the Council’s Digital & Information Team. The position offers a unique opportunity to work with different technologies and varied business requirements. The main duties of the role will be to provide support and implement new systems and applications across the Council. You will provide analysis, problem solving and testing services for Council wide projects.

You should have experience working within a similar role, and should possess strong problem solving, critical thinking, and communication and analysis skills. Candidates should also possess a degree in IT, computer studies or a related field. If you have experience in user acceptance testing, process analysis, software development and implementations we would welcome an application from you.

the jobs include Head of Parks, who would presumably be the Head Weedkillerer as well as a Gardening Labourer.  So hopefully all your herbicidal desires will be catered for.

As you can see most of these are lowly manual jobs and/or replacing people who have left.  The only odd ones are the Finance one which looks like description for a head of finance and the one to join the "Digital & Information Team".  Anyone who has ever tried to find things on their website will have assumed that this hasn't existed since about 2004.