More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Actually, Numbnuts, l  would love to have go on that digger.  Maybe DBC could book it out as an experience day, just like driving a tram!  I can't imagine doing too much damage to Douglas Beach :)

I’ve drove one a few years ago on a site. The front bucket is pretty straight forward but the backhoe is a different kettle of fish. All hydraulic with different controls doing different things. But fun for sure. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lilly said:

Actually it's 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.l, part of the beach is fully accessible to dogs and their owners at all times. 

I have never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas Beach.

You're right, there's a small area in front of the Old Summerland that's open at all times. The rest's closed to dogs between 10am to 6pm according to DBC's website

Fortunately you've never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas beach, but unfortunately it does happen. Bylaws say that dogs should be on a lead at all times, and any dog eggs removed, which seems sensible. You never know what a dog's going to eat/shag/bite/poop on.

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

You're right, there's a small area in front of the Old Summerland that's open at all times. The rest's closed to dogs between 10am to 6pm according to DBC's website

Fortunately you've never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas beach, but unfortunately it does happen. Bylaws say that dogs should be on a lead at all times, and any dog eggs removed, which seems sensible. You never know what a dog's going to eat/shag/bite/poop on.

16 hours ago, Lilly said:

Actually it's 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.l, part of the beach is fully accessible to dogs and their owners at all times. 

I have never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas Beach.

You clearly do not use Douglas Beach often; if you did, you would know that the Bylaws state you cannot use the Douglas Beach outside the Designated permitted dog area between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.  Maybe you prefer using your keyboard as opposed to walking in this area.  You have repeatedly stated this incorrect information, which is quite clearly displayed in several prominent locations along Douglas Promenade.

Would you like photographic evidence?

You also mention dogs biting people;  it's not clear if you are referring to episodes on Douglas Beach or elsewhere? 

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

You clearly do not use Douglas Beach often; if you did, you would know that the Bylaws state you cannot use the Douglas Beach outside the Designated permitted dog area between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.  Maybe you prefer using your keyboard as opposed to walking in this area.  You have repeatedly stated this incorrect information, which is quite clearly displayed in several prominent locations along Douglas Promenade.

Would you like photographic evidence?

You also mention dogs biting people;  it's not clear if you are referring to episodes on Douglas Beach or elsewhere? 

Dogs biting people - yes, Douglas beach, somewhere I spend a lot of time in the summer. I've been bitten there by off-the-lead dogs over the years, even this summer after I specifically picked a time when dogs were not supposed to be there to avoid them ! I was pretty pissed-off - the beach is a multi-use space, and out-of-control dogs interfere with that. 

Have a trawl through local Facebook groups, and you'll see occasional posts from people whose dogs and children have been nibbled. Unsurprisingly, letting a dog be illegally at large on the beach causes problems, hence the by-laws.  I know they are people's fur babies, but to some of us they're a just a pain in the arse that shits everywhere, barks, fights and bites. I've no problem with them if they're under control and on a lead, as the law says, but dog owners tend to be irresponsible - maybe Toxocara at work ? 

I agree, times are confusing ! DBC's website specifically says 10 to 6pm, whilst the 2018 by-laws say another thing. It should be clearer, and say one thing.

image.thumb.png.0f40722f92a0b9fba2352b2d40318a13.png

You're right, I haven't read the notices at the beach recently (I don't go with a dog so I have no need to study them in detail) - but then neither have most of the dog owners apparently. I don't think the dogs can read them.

Edited by The Bastard
spelling

14 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I know they are people's fur babies, but to some of us they're a just a pain in the arse that shits everywhere, barks, fights and bites. (…) dog owners tend to be irresponsible - maybe Toxicara at work ? 

No, but seriously: tell us what you really think…🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pouring rain  today , yellow weather warning   sailings cancelled , but that bloody tractor os still running up and down Douglas beach piling up seaweed only for it to be washed right back up again , 

Summer is over , lets let the beach revert back to nature  and stop wasting money  and polluting the atmosphere with diesel fumes  ,time someone was looking at this contract ,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omobono said:

pouring rain  today , yellow weather warning   sailings cancelled , but that bloody tractor os still running up and down Douglas beach piling up seaweed only for it to be washed right back up again , 

Summer is over , lets let the beach revert back to nature  and stop wasting money  and polluting the atmosphere with diesel fumes  ,time someone was looking at this contract ,

And if we don’t do it people will be like “the seaweed stinks the council is doing nothing”. Can’t win unless you do a large scale project to address the tidal flows. 

12 minutes ago, Omobono said:

People complain endlessly when it's "left to nature".  The seaweed rots, and angry people start ranting about sewage when it starts unsurprisingly to smell.

Reverting to nature doesn't work with an urban beach - too much public usage, too much interference with the hydrography over the years, too much commercial ship traffic. It's a balancing act for DBC, complicated by the fact that there's absolutely no use for seaweed off the beach. The days of washing it and spreading it on the fields are long gone, thanks to oil and plastic waste.  

Edited by The Bastard

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

And if we don’t do it people will be like “the seaweed stinks the council is doing nothing”. Can’t win unless you do a large scale project to address the tidal flows. 

Yes they  used to be called Groynes and the corporation let them deteriorate to such an extend  that they fell into disrepair ,while you are in the UK go and look at some of the beaches in the south or England , not many without groynes  and nobody hauling seaweed down the beach only to be washed up again on the next tide , 

I hope you will be back for Mayors Sunday , the councils biggest event