More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Whilst many on here argue that DCC borrowing money to spend on the Promenade, is very much a good news story, I will certainly concede that. It will also be good news next April when DCC ratepayers have to find extra money to pay for all these schemes. I hope that these new projects are both on time, on budget and are properly managed.

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Whilst many on here argue that DCC borrowing money to spend on the Promenade, is very much a good news story, I will certainly concede that. It will also be good news next April when DCC ratepayers have to find extra money to pay for all these schemes. I hope that these new projects are both on time, on budget and are properly managed.

It’s nice to see them borrowing the money now too at the highest interest rates that have existed for the last 20 years when they could have done the project and borrowed the money 18 months ago at historic lows. Another great strategy move. Let’s wait for rates to go up then borrow £700K to build a playground that’s been unused for years. The rates will certainly be going up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The biggest concern Douglas Ratepayers should have is whether the garden walls are up to getting another pounding from the next big easterly hitting the prom. 

What happened to the supposed work that DOI were going to do on strengthening/adding a seawall to mitigate serious overtopping down by the gardens??

Seems a bit premature to me if the seawall issue hasn't been done yet.   

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

The biggest concern Douglas Ratepayers should have is whether the garden walls are up to getting another pounding form the next big easterly hitting the prom. 

What happened to the supposed work that DOI were going to do on strengthening/adding a seawall to mitigate serious overtopping down by the gardens??

There are a few on here who if you point these things out, call you for criticism. Until @Cueey Lewis And The News pointed out about the additional costs particularly in borrowing. Granted the borrowing will be lower due to Treasury, I never have it a thought. Yes it’s a good news story, let’s raise the bunting and switch on the lights, and have a party. At the end of the day, it’s got to be paid back - and how long is the sunken gardens/playground expected to last? I doubt it will last 5 years, then someone will want it replaced. Maybe someone will argue it’s not environmentally friendly or green enough, or use sustainable materials. 

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s nice to see them borrowing the money now too at the highest interest rates that have existed for the last 20 years when they could have done the project and borrowed the money 18 months ago at historic lows. Another great strategy move. Let’s wait for rates to go up then borrow £700K to build a playground that’s been unused for years. The rates will certainly be going up. 

Are you a DBC ratepayer? If not it’s not your concern, if so assume you’ve already contacted your councilor to object?

Whilst on complaining ask them about the £100k+ subsidy for the golf course so many from outside Douglas can play cheap golf 

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Are you a DBC ratepayer? If not it’s not your concern, if so assume you’ve already contacted your councilor to object?

Whilst on complaining ask them about the £100k+ subsidy for the golf course so many from outside Douglas can play cheap golf 

Similar to your beloved Braddan Commissioners burdening the tax payer to finish the Strang Mahal.......

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The biggest concern Douglas Ratepayers should have is whether the garden walls are up to getting another pounding from the next big easterly hitting the prom. 

The seawall is actually fine. It is the build up of sand along the entire length, and lack of groins / chines that has focused the power of the easterly to that area. If they spent a few grand shifting the sand back down the beach, and allow the currently sunken seawall to do its job, the problem would go away virtually overnight! 

ETA, I was on Douglas Head the other day and the rise in the level of sand causing the problem is clearly visible. Take a look next time you are up there. You can see how it focuses the waves. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Bit of a fallacy this - Douglas are not making a one off purchase and obviously have no control over interest rates.  They will have a capital programme where they are spending millions on average across all their schemes (housing/parks/etc). It's not feasible to build everything once every 10 years when interest rates are lower and then sit on your hands for the other 9 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Similar to your beloved Braddan Commissioners burdening the tax payer to finish the Strang Mahal.......

Correct but I registered my concerns directly to them & my MHK not whined about it , relevant question to 2112 what have you done about your complaint!