More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, Reportage said:

Correct interpretation the only person who showed public support at the meeting and who then made a point of making supportive comments to the BBC on camera afterwards is related to the CEO of Douglas Corporation. A complete ringer dropped into the audience. He also kicked off massively at one person in the audience who dared to express dissatisfaction with the council leader and told them to pipe down. He was visibly furious that DBC was not getting its own way. 

Did you take your meds before going? Sounds like you've had a totally different experience based on what other folk are saying here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

99.9% of people in Douglas really don't care about this issue. I couldn't even tell you what day my bin gets emptied

I would be interested to see the evidence for your allegation .

Edwin Chadwick's report resulted in the 1845 Public Health Act leading on to the 1875 PH Act ( and the 1936 Act)which amongst other requirements dealt with the provision of dustbins and the cleansing and scavenging of land etc , the reason for weekly collections of dustbins was based on the lifecycle of the house fly.  LA's also had powers to deal with accumulations  of refuse (either offensive or providing harbourage for 'pests'  eg rodents ) . 

I would venture to suggest that if refuse is allowed to accumulate then the rodent problem will get even worse.

I do not dispute your claim that you have no idea when your dustbin is emptied .

just saying:flowers: 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Did you take your meds before going? Sounds like you've had a totally different experience based on what other folk are saying here. 

Not at all the feedback was very consistent from everyone there. Except the relative of the DBC CEO who thought the whole initiative was ‘wonderful’. It’s so sad when you have to send your family in as ringers to try to fool the media into thinking almost 100% of everyone was against the proposals and make sure that they get interviewed by the BBC. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-isle-of-man-63959955

7 hours ago, Reportage said:

You mean you basically invented something (ie, told a lie). Does anyone not get in on Douglas Council? Most of them are uncontested seats. I bet you don’t even have to turn up on election night. Just turn up for ‘work’ on Monday morning. 

Well I think you've at least proved that you haven't stood for Council in the past and been rejected.  As you obviously know sod all about the process.  Of Douglas's four three-seater wards, three were contested in 2021 (Central 4 candidates, East 5, North 4) and there would have been a contest in South Ward, except that one of the candidates withdrew her nomination at the last minute, so the others would have prepared, written manifestos, maybe started canvassing.

And at that stage they would have then been declared elected by the Returning Officer, not on election night.  No need to turn up unless they were helping a friend or fellow Party member.  And it's not a full time job and not really paid much, just attendance allowance for a maximum of four hours a meeting - for most that will probably be two meeting a month.

• Like 1

I have to say my appeal to keep a second bin was dealt with promptly and sympathetically. Didn’t keep two bins, but I was allocated a larger 360litre bin. It’s been emptied twice and I’m not filling it.

The one thing not quite right, and I’ll contact DBC, is that I was told that it would be collected from, and returned to, the door, as I can’t manoeuvre it to the end of the drive. They’ve collected but not returned.

Im willing to make changes, I’ve made changes, DBC have accommodated me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, paswt said:

I would be interested to see the evidence for your allegation .

Edwin Chadwick's report resulted in the 1845 Public Health Act leading on to the 1875 PH Act ( and the 1936 Act)which amongst other requirements dealt with the provision of dustbins and the cleansing and scavenging of land etc , the reason for weekly collections of dustbins was based on the lifecycle of the house fly.  LA's also had powers to deal with accumulations  of refuse (either offensive or providing harbourage for 'pests'  eg rodents ) . 

I would venture to suggest that if refuse is allowed to accumulate then the rodent problem will get even worse.

I do not dispute your claim that you have no idea when your dustbin is emptied .

just saying:flowers: 

Did they have wheelie bins back then, and bin bags to put rubbish in to keep flies out?

Just saying

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It looked fairly clear to me. The bloke supporting the changes in the BBC interview and the CEO of the council have the same surname. Are they married or otherwise closely related? That would be quite embarrassing if so surely? 

What did they say when you challenged them?

Oh sorry I forgot you didn’t turn up despite mouthing off about what you would do😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It looked fairly clear to me. The bloke supporting the changes in the BBC interview and the CEO of the council have the same surname. Are they married or otherwise closely related? That would be quite embarrassing if so surely? 

Is he the CEO's son..? 

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes it's a well-known fact that all people with the same surname are closely related.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t know other than what reportage said about them having the same surname. Likely some close relative surely? 

He is. It was so sad to see how they pitched a complete ringer in to say nice things to the BBC and Manx Radio. Honestly how the Town Hall have tried to choreograph the PR here is astounding. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thing is the boat sails from the island whether full or empty so the more we get going from the island the more it reduces the carbon consumption of each item.

As far as the boat is concerned, I agree with you. However, to me, the CO2 issue is not only about the segment of the recyclable journey that’s is by boat, it is also the segments which are by road and also what happens to the recycled materials after they reach some designated destination. E.g., all processes used to transform recyclable materials into ‘new products’ must consume energy and therefore additionally generate CO2. This pollution should be taken into account. I have read that England’s recycling rates were around 50% but have recently fallen to 43%. There does not seem to be much of an audit of what actually happens in the UK and whether some of our (DBC) recyclable material ends up in landfills either in the UK or somewhere around the planet. Controversially, and (from a green point of view at least) inconsistently, the UK Government has recently given the go ahead to a new coal mine. I think almost everyone agrees that this decision was a huge mistake.

I don’t approve dissing people who want to do the right thing by environment, but some so called environmentalists seem to be ‘picking and choosing’ their ‘green’ objective on a whim. It is reasonably easy for a well-off person to adjust their lifestyle to consume more fresh fruits/ vegetables than for poorer families who can only afford to buy cheaper high calorie, highly processed food. Highly processed food often comes with lots of unrecyclable packaging. Choosing ‘healthy and environmentally friendly options’ might make a prosperous person feel comparatively virtuous, but chances are these same people also spend a lot more money ordering stuff online and don’t care very much about how much CO2 is emitted when individual home deliveries are made to them.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sir David Attenborough who said that protecting the environment for all species and all generations is a global task of paramount importance and that this is crucial for the survival of humankind. However, any action taken to protect the environment must deliver tangible results, and not just be something that middle class people do to make themselves feel good. If the things we humans chose to do to protect the planet are not done properly, then we may well all end up doing more harm than good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Reportage said:

Residents lambast council 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/residents-lambast-council-at-bins-meeting-582564

Last night's public meeting discussing Douglas Council’s move to fortnightly bin collections probably didn’t go as councillors planned, as residents spoke out against the change.

Shock - Horror -  News!

WTAF did you think the people that went to that meeting would be in favor of? Free cannabis? Three weekly bin collections?

Get a grip man, reduce your bin contents by compression, recycling and buying stuff with a view to it's packaging.

If that all fails, take the rest to the local recycling center.

If you don't have a vehicle to go to the local recycling centre then I doubt you have the money to fill a bin that won't wait for bi-weekly collection.

This is by far the biggest first world problem I have seen on here and it has got very personal against DBC councillors which is just bang out of order.

There are people in Ukraine at the very moment you read this, people just like us, who are sheltering from missiles.

Think about that for a moment before you get all arsey about your bin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

This is by far the biggest first world problem I have seen on here and it has got very personal against DBC councillors which is just bang out of order.

There are people in Ukraine at the very moment you read this, people just like us, who are sheltering from missiles

Ah yes. The politicians favourite new excuse, Ukraine, now they can't blame shit on Covid. 

Yes, Ukraine is being torn apart by the Russian military machine. There's massive collateral damage and we should all empathise with the Ukrainian people... that doesn't mean we should use it as an excuse to accept dropping living standards both here and in the UK.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1