More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

All exterior walls , inner and outerleaf have a percentage of damp in them. Modern dwellings and clients require double glazing and heating of some type. Heat inside will pull in the damp to the inside walls regardless of most thats done to prevent it. Older properties of course with those same upgrades multiply the problem .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

I’ve wrote about damp in houses as a result off  people not being able to afford to turn on the gas boilers the corporation have put in houses. Are you expecting people to have windows open this winter and no heating on because Douglas Council dictated to the less fortunate who they should pay, 
A councillor has agreed with you,  so just goes to show what an asset they are.

Are you saying gas CH should not have been installed?  If not gas, was there another viable alternative at the time, or should tenants in social housing have no CH? 

Anyway, thought you had left the island because it was so crap. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

The houses were already able to be heated. If they were to be changed, surely it should of been solar or environmentally  and well as cost effective. Or is it in your view money should be wasted three or four times until they get it right?

ps it is none of your business where I live, I’m Manx and if I live on the island or not makes no difference. I still have many family members still there.

So  you think solar panels should have been installed,  at what cost?  When were the gas boilers installed and at the time was there a viable alternative? 

Solar panels should definitely be standard on all new builds, but the costs of retro-fitting across the whole housing stock would be enormous. 

PS its none of my business where you live but you volunteered the information.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Don’t act daft . Boilers are breaking and new ones are being put in all the time. Why not find out how much it costs a year to have the boilers serviced as well. 

Ps maybe stop making it your business and have look around at what is happening instead.

I am still struggling to see your point re gas. You haven't answered when they were installed and what alternatives were available at the time. 

So, when a boiler packs in, what should they be replaced with?  You tell me. 

PS I already said its not my business where you are, I can just detect a slight aroma of bullshit, that's all.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am still struggling to see your point re gas. You haven't answered when they were installed and what alternatives were available at the time. 

So, when a boiler packs in, what should they be replaced with?  You tell me. 

PS I already said its not my business where you are, I can just detect a slight aroma of bullshit, that's all.  

lots of public sector housing that was converted to gas already had solid fuel fires that were perfectly serviceable ,   gas went in, not a problem, but why remove the alternate heating option at the same time ??  chimneys were removed and the roofs slated/tiled over so no reinstatement was possible.  at the same time those with a few quid bought log burners for their front rooms and a chainsaw..   the pondy was happily using oil boilers that got swapped out for gas ,  oil has always been cheaper than gas since i started paying bills 40 years ago.  

a cynic might say the state pushed everybody with no ability to chose onto gas because some people had a vested interest in making them use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

If you are hell bent being happy with how it is now on the island it’s a waste of time answering.. like I said the houses had heating before changing to gas. 
If solar was a problem they would have not used it in some of the housing stock when rebuilding Pulrose. 

the problem with solar is you only pay for it once , you don't have to keep paying a company to make it work for you.

2 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

If you are hell bent being happy with how it is now on the island it’s a waste of time answering.. like I said the houses had heating before changing to gas. 
If solar was a problem they would have not used it in some of the housing stock when rebuilding Pulrose. 

I am not hell bent on anything,  I see the issues, but do not see the issue with gas in corpie houses.  Yes, the houses were heated by electricity, coal fires or paraffin heaters (I remember that is how my friend's Mum heated their house in Willaston).  Would you rather that wasn't changed?

Yes, solar panels may have been installed in Pulrose, but you did read my comment about new builds?

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

lots of public sector housing that was converted to gas already had solid fuel fires that were perfectly serviceable ,   gas went in, not a problem, but why remove the alternate heating option at the same time ??  chimneys were removed and the roofs slated/tiled over so no reinstatement was possible.  at the same time those with a few quid bought log burners for their front rooms and a chainsaw..   the pondy was happily using oil boilers that got swapped out for gas ,  oil has always been cheaper than gas since i started paying bills 40 years ago.  

a cynic might say the state pushed everybody with no ability to chose onto gas because some people had a vested interest in making them use it.

I can see your argument about oil, but not open fires.  There used to be a pall of smoke over Pulrose years ago (the inversion layer, I think it was called). 

But, from the authorities' point of view converting everyone to gas would be cheaper than giving some the option of oil (dearer boilers, tanks, piping and risk of pollution) and I can see the attraction.  

Time has moved on and it is no longer the optimum, doesn't mean the original decision was wrong.  That is my point.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Douglas Corporation and other local board housing are there for the more less off in society, they are not there  to feed rich companies. It is well known Manx gas has been a rip off for years. Putting gas into housing stocks should of been a big no in the first place. The people in corporations or local boards are there either employed or voted in to look after the housing stock , not just public toilets flower baskets and a carnival. Every time a boiler broke they should of put in solar instead. In the long run it will save money and better for the environment. If they think the tenants of houses can pay Manx gas prices then they should ask if they would rather put that money into helping them change to solar, so in the long run it saves them in bills. It is very rare that they evict people for having to much money to need social housing , mostly they just put the rent up to the same amount if were in a private rental. So there is no excuse or reason they can’t ask if they want to put what they pay to Manx gas into improving the house instead., I’m sure most see it as their home They have known about Manx gas and have done nothing. Switched the focus and made it about recycling without actually doing that properly. So most people are in uproar about the bins and forgetting gas prices for the moment .

I'm no fan of gas but can you expand on how solar would be of any use in the dark depths of winter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

I'm no fan of gas but can you expand on how solar would be of any use in the dark depths of winter?

Finlo, not sure how you have not noticed, but the sun is still in the sky during the winter. Solar still provides energy in the winter for this reason.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Douglas Corporation and other local board housing are there for the more less off in society, they are not there  to feed rich companies. It is well known Manx gas has been a rip off for years. Putting gas into housing stocks should of been a big no in the first place. The people in corporations or local boards are there either employed or voted in to look after the housing stock , not just public toilets flower baskets and a carnival. Every time a boiler broke they should of put in solar instead. In the long run it will save money and better for the environment. If they think the tenants of houses can pay Manx gas prices then they should ask if they would rather put that money into helping them change to solar, so in the long run it saves them in bills. It is very rare that they evict people for having to much money to need social housing , mostly they just put the rent up to the same amount if were in a private rental. So there is no excuse or reason they can’t ask if they want to put what they pay to Manx gas into improving the house instead., I’m sure most see it as their home They have known about Manx gas and have done nothing. Switched the focus and made it about recycling without actually doing that properly. So most people are in uproar about the bins and forgetting gas prices for the moment .

You still haven't answered the question about how you came to your conclusions about my financial position. 

Will solar completely replace a boiler?