More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Just want to make it clear. I didn’t report. Didn’t complain. Reportage is a reincarnation. In one guise or another he’s hung around for a long time.

Most recent one was Newsdesk. He sent me some unpleasant personal messages. All the crap about moderators screwing over posters, conspiring, treating some posters more favourably than him.

He was given several opportunities to back down. But he carried on. The ban was inevitable.

Im glad I’m no longer moderating.

How do you know what opportunities he was given if you are no longer a mod?

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It was my action...and I am on the opposite side to Amadeus on this debate...even turning up at the meeting.

So you say but I have no basis on which to judge that to be true or not. Just like all the other accusations made about mystery people (who is TJ or newsnight?) who nobody but you know about. It just sounds farcical. At the end of the day it looks like censorship whether you explain it isn’t or not. I note Newsnight started this thread. Was that their downfall too? 

Edited by BriT

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

So you say but I have no basis in which to judge that to be true or not. Just like all the other accusations made about mystery people (who is TJ?) who nobody but you know about. It just sounds farcical. At the end of the day it looks like censorship whether you explain it isn’t or not. 

It looks like that to you. Invest one minute of your forum life to ask others or use the search function and you will quickly see what we mean. That’s if you want to see and haven’t already made up your mind despite the facts painting a different picture. Either way, I don’t have the time to care about what you think. Maybe others have more patience. 

Just now, Amadeus said:

It looks like that to you. Invest one minute of your forum life to ask others or use the search function and you will quickly see what we mean. That’s if you want to see and haven’t already made up your mind despite the facts painting a different picture. Either way, I don’t have the time to care about what you think. Maybe others have more patience. 

It just sounds farcical. What have these mystery people done? I’ve never heard of any of them apart from the one who started this thread. Why are you concerned about what they post enough to deleted it? Most of it looked fairly harmless to me. 

52 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Are you referring to the mouse thing? That's DEFA, not DBC and I have no idea who they use or what they do for media stuff. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/rodent-requests-in-capital-down-50-per-cent/ 

It's fake news anyway. The warmer than usual November has meant fewer vermin trying to get into people's homes. Those numbers will shoot up now. 

Besides people don't use the DEFA service as the response times are too long. They call private companies like Rentokil

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Ironic then that I agree with him...but not the abusive way he went about it.

This decision was solely based on abusive postings. These are against the T&Cs.

I miss his/her contribution. Some of his/her points were valid, or would have been if articulated properly. For certain types of less able people, it's necessary to be patient and carefully disentangle the message from the noise.

There's an intellectual laziness in the ban and the forum is poorer for it. It doesn't cost anybody anything to place a person on ignore. Conspiracy nutters at Hyde Park Corner aren't banned, they're simply ignored.

I'm afraid. Albert, all you have done is reinforce his/her speculation that MF mods are partisan in this particular issue and, to be frank, I think you have been used albeit to the fairly inconsequential detriment of your avatar.

I do however regard that as a bit of a shame. Previously you were a pithy and entertaining contributor, rare to comment but amusing when you did. Now, you're one of a number of respected posters who have become unforgivably uneven-handed in this issue. 

The core of this debate is not recycling or climate change, it's about the undemocratic actions of a petty, village-pump junta stubbornly determined to save face despite mounting evidence that it has launched what is in effect a harmful experiment, albeit with a commitment to help the casualties (on a waiting list) where the experiment is causing distress.

Minorities deserve our protection specifically because they are minorities and have little or no voice. The prevailing narrative on this forum is that the objectors are but a minority that is affected and so they should be casually dismissed. 

I'm struck by the often vehement defense of the rights of other minorities on the pages of this forum, so it's odd that those principles are abandoned by the contented majority, despite the obvious plight of the minority for whom this change is most definitely not working.

So examine your values. And if you decide to given me a ban for being on the wrong side, then I'd consider it a badge of honour.

Edited by Viddy well

47 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Funnily enough, yes. He pressed Flag as Spammer instead of Warn User, which is what we normally use to apply bans, etc. Clearly I need to revise the mod training manual, and by that I mean actually create one. 

Don’t know about the others but I’m happy with the way Albert is getting rid of the dross including their abusive posts…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, BriT said:

So you say but I have no basis on which to judge that to be true or not. Just like all the other accusations made about mystery people (who is TJ or newsnight?) who nobody but you know about. It just sounds farcical. At the end of the day it looks like censorship whether you explain it isn’t or not. I note Newsnight started this thread. Was that their downfall too? 

No matter what I say...seems like you've already made your mind up and it won't be changed.

I suggest you use the search function and look at what I've had to say about DBC and IOM Govt tomfoolery over the years.

I think you'll find at least 2 posts covering that subject.

3 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

I miss his/her contribution. Some of his points were valid, or would have been if articulated properly. For certain types of less able people, it's necessary to be patient and carefully disentangle the message from the noise.

There's an intellectual laziness in the ban and the forum is poorer for it. It doesn't cost anybody anything to place a person on ignore. Conspiracy nutters at Hyde Park Corner aren't banned, they're simply ignored.

I'm afraid. Albert, all you have done is reinforce his/her speculation that MF mods are partisan in this particular issue and, to be frank, I think you have been used albeit to the fairly inconsequential detriment of your avatar.

I do however regard that as a bit of a shame. Previously you ware a pithy and entertaining contributor, rare to comment but amusing when you did. Now, you're one of a number of respected posters who have become unforgivably uneven-handed in this issue. 

The core of this debate is not recycling or climate change, it's about the undemocratic actions of a petty, village-pump junta stubbornly determined to save face despite mounting evidence that it has launched what is in effect a harmful experiment, albeit with a commitment to help the casualties (on a waiting list) where the experiment is causing distress.

Minorities deserve our protection specifically because they are minorities and have little or no voice. The prevailing narrative on this forum is that the objectors are but a minority that is affected and so they should be casually dismissed. 

I'm struck by the often vehement defense of the rights of other minorities on the pages of this forum, so it's odd that those principles are abandoned by the contented majority, despite the obvious plight of the minority for whom this change is most definitely not working.

So examine your values. And if you decide to given me a ban for being on the wrong side, then I'd consider it a badge of honour.

The thing is there were no points made other than 'I don't agree'.  That's fine, but then there were personal attacks and inaccurate accusations. When responses were given that the accusations were inaccurate,  people were called liars.  

It wasn't an intelligent or reasoned contribution to debate. 

• Like 6

Just now, Gladys said:

The thing is there were no points made other than 'I don't agree'.  That's fine, but then there were personal attacks and inaccurate accusations. When responses were given that the accusations were inaccurate,  people were called liars.  

It wasn't an intelligent or reasoned contribution to debate. 

Of course it wasn't. We could all see that Reportage was unhinged. Wasn't it obvious to most rational people that Reportage was unhinged?

A ban - out of delicacy to the feelings of those he attacked? Really?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

I miss his/her contribution. Some of his points were valid, or would have been if articulated properly. For certain types of less able people, it's necessary to be patient and carefully disentangle the message from the noise.

I do however regard that as a bit of a shame. Previously you ware a pithy and entertaining contributor, rare to comment but amusing when you did. Now, you're one of a number of respected posters who have become unforgivably uneven-handed in this issue. 

That's a very eloquent way of simply arguing for 'anything goes'.

That's not how the world, and the T&Cs we all sign up to, work unfortunately.

Remember, this ban was based on multiple abusive posts, reported by numerous members and nothing more.

• Like 1