More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I pay just as much as you to post on this forum as a subscriber. It seems to be the non subscriber accounts where the issues are. If you want to dictate content maybe you should become a moderator? Perhaps you also need to calm down as this forum needs subscribers. 

Waggling around the subscriber flag as if it should give you some sort of partial immunity to moderator action isn't very good is it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Lying again. You're an attention-seeking fantasist, in the same mould as TJ, Sultan, Ramseyboi, Newsdesk, et al. You have a subscriber account but I doubt it stops there.

Subscribers can be suspended without warning. I can testify to that. I always consider myself to be reasonably professional with my posts and I don't think I have ever offended anyone on purpose 😀

There is no rule about being banned for being irritating AFAIK. If there was there wouldn't be many of us left.

My new years resolution is to be even nicer to everyone and not to go on the forum if I have had more than 3 pints.

I made the same resolution last year 🤐

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No I’m not doing that at all. Someone proposed a way of fixing the issue as charging a fee and banning VPN. I was just pointing out that subscribers already pay a fee so it wouldn’t be an issue if that’s a solution. 

Are you sure you didn't say this?

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I pay just as much as you to post on this forum as a subscriber. It seems to be the non subscriber accounts where the issues are. If you want to dictate content maybe you should become a moderator? Perhaps you also need to calm down as this forum needs subscribers. 

• Like 1

I don’t have any skin in the game as a non Douglas resident but I do find the above thread over the last 2 days very strange. It feels to me like this. There are many many people who clearly seem to be unhappy at Douglas Corporation and rather than take these people seriously the councillors have hunkered down. Then they held a meeting which was clearly (self evidently from the videos) a complete train wreck. And again rather than listen to people they hunkered down again. Resulting in a situation where even on here the mods couldn’t control the messaging. This does clearly conflict Amadeus as a mod on here and I also think that the meeting was clearly such a train wreck that the mainstream media have peeled back their coverage explicitly to save Wells the embarrassment of being publicly derided for her fairly disgraceful attitude to people exercising their democratic rights.

I would hazard a bet though that DBC think that they can manage the media message. Especially with a social media guru on their side who has used his position to highlight many pet peeves he has about the IOM and local politics. All it’s convinced me of reading it from a distance is that you’re wasting your time trying to do anything in the IOM as we have a whole host of tinpot little people in tinpot little fiefdoms who have so much time on their hands that they can spend 24/7 on social media trying to manage their own reputations even if that entails roping in other people to do their dirty work for them.

As for deleting posts and banning posters the overall impression it leaves is incredibly poor and only serves to underline some peoples belief that DBC and some of the out of control egos in there will stoop at nothing to eradicate any and all signs of dissent. I’m really glad I don’t live in Douglas it’s just such an incredibly poor show across the board to be basically picking on your own voters for daring to bring you to task for decisions that simply aren’t wanted and clearly aren’t popular at all. 

Edited by BriT
Typo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BriT said:

1. I don’t have any skin in the game as a non Douglas resident but I do find the above thread over the last 2 days very strange. It feels to me like this. There are many many people who clearly seem to be unhappy at Douglas Corporation and rather than take these people seriously the councillors have hunkered down. Then they held a meeting which was clearly (self evidently from the videos) a complete train wreck. And again rather than listen to people they hunkered down again. Resulting in a situation where even on here the mods couldn’t control the messaging. This does clearly conflict Amadeus as a mod on here and I also think that the meeting was clearly such a train wreck that the mainstream media have peeled back their coverage explicitly to save Wells the embarrassment of being publicly derided for her fairly disgraceful attitude to people exercising their democratic rights.

2. I would hazard a bet though that DBC think that they can manage the media message. Especially with a social media guru on their side who has used his position to highlight many pet peeves he has about the IOM and local politics. All it’s convinced me of reading it from a distance is that you’re wasting your time trying to do anything in the IOM as we have a whole host of tinpot little people in tinpot little fiefdoms who have so much time on their hands that they can spend 24/7 on social media trying to manage their own reputations even if that entails roping in other people to do their dirty work for them.

3. As for deleting posts and banning posters the overall impression it leaves is incredibly poor and only serves to underline some peoples belief that DBC and some of the out of control egos in there will stoop at nothing to eradicate any and all signs of dissent. I’m really glad I don’t live in Douglas it’s just such an incredibly poor show across the board to be basically picking on your own voters for daring to bring you to task for decisions that simply aren’t wanted and clearly aren’t popular at all. 

As someone who lives in Douglas, pays Douglas Rates, and felt aggrieved to be down, from 2 bins a week to one a fortnight, I engaged with DBC and got a satisfactory ( to me ) result. And I’m willing to give them time to see how it goes.

As for the rest of your post it’s cloud cuckoo, fairy tale stuff, with no connection to fact or reality.

BACKGROUND

There are nearly 30,000 people live in Douglas. At least 10,000 separate households.

A few hundred joined a FB group.

12 signed a requisition for a public meeting.

DBC called the meeting.

Between 80-100 turned up. That includes Council officials, councillors, assorted grandstanding bin farming MHK’s, media, a few supporters of the reduced collection and some interested ratepayers. There were a few, very few, very vocal opposers. Oh, and a guy falsely alleged to be a dupe or ringer family member of the CEO.

Lots of noise was made, a vote by show of hands resulted in DBC being asked to reverse he bin collection decision.

DBC leader says they won’t change the bin collection regime but will review it after a year. In the meantime allowances will be made for additional waste at Xmas.

AFTERMATH ON MF

Several recently joined members posted often, loud, aggressively. They didn’t mind what they said, had scant regard for the truth, and attacked Amadeus personally. The defamed Kath Rice, DBC CEO, they defamed Nick Rice, member of public. Several were either duplicate accounts feeding of each other, or reincarnations of recently banned posters.

For reasons wholly unrelated there was only one moderator. He didn’t intervene as it was his actions as councillor that were being attacked.

New moderator hit wrong button to suspend one poster, ended up accidentally deleting content. They’ve admitted and apologised. Less than optimal, but Albert was thrown into the fray.

Ive numbered your paragraphs.

1. Why should DBC bow to mob rule. Say 60 people voted to reverse the decision, that’s what - 0.3% of the registered voters. They’ve said they’ll review. They’ve outlined plans for Christmas.

So, it’s not “many many”, it’s very, very, few. I didn’t go. I’ve watched the video in part. The MSM seem to have reported it accurately. It’s your description that seems at odds with the evidence.

2. I assume you’re referring to Amadeus. He’s pretty serious and down to earth. He’s Bavarian FFS. He doesn’t waste time on social media by way of propaganda for DBC. Lots of the things he posts about are real problems. And he’s willing to give his time here and on DBC.

3. Albert has explained his error. A simple mistake. No pressure from DBC. And as for popularity, I’ve already pointed out the very, very, low number for the outspoken vociferous ones. 

It’s not the job of DBC, it’s staff or councillors to take decisions to be popular. It’s there job to make hard decisions, delivering central government and local policies for the benefit of all, popular or not.

Yep, there’s a debate to be about how green recycling off island is. But that debate wasn’t being had. Just some shouty people, very very few, trying to browbeat the majority, by any nasty tactic they could.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As someone who lives in Douglas, pays Douglas Rates, and felt aggrieved to be down, from 2 bins a week to one a fortnight, I engaged with DBC and got a satisfactory ( to me ) result. And I’m willing to give them time to see how it goes.

As for the rest of your post it’s cloud cuckoo, fairy tale stuff, with no connection to fact or reality.

BACKGROUND

There are nearly 30,000 people live in Douglas. At least 10,000 separate households.

DBC called the meeting.

Between 80-100 turned up. That includes Council officials, councillors, assorted grandstanding bin farming MHK’s, media, a few supporters of the reduced collection and some interested ratepayers. There were a few, very few, very vocal opposers. Oh, and a guy falsely alleged to be a dupe or ringer family member of the CEO.

Lots of noise was made, a vote by show of hands resulted in DBC being asked to reverse he bin collection decision.

DBC leader says they won’t change the bin collection regime but will review it after a year. In the meantime allowances will be made for additional waste at Xmas.

AFTERMATH ON MF

Several recently joined members posted often, loud, aggressively. They didn’t mind what they said, had scant regard for the truth, and attacked Amadeus personally. The defamed Kath Rice, DBC CEO, they defamed Nick Rice, member of public. Several were either duplicate accounts feeding of each other, or reincarnations of recently banned posters.

For reasons wholly unrelated there was only one moderator. He didn’t intervene as it was his actions as councillor that were being attacked.

New moderator hit wrong button to suspend one poster, ended up accidentally deleting content. They’ve admitted and apologised. Less than optimal, but Albert was thrown into the fray.

1. Why should DBC bow to mob rule. Say 60 people voted to reverse the decision, that’s what - 0.3% of the registered voters. They’ve said they’ll review. They’ve outlined plans for Christmas.

So, it’s not “many many”, it’s very, very, few. I didn’t go. I’ve watched the video in part. The MSM seem to have reported it accurately. It’s your description that seems at odds with the evidence.

2. I assume you’re referring to Amadeus. He’s pretty serious and down to earth. He’s Bavarian FFS. He doesn’t waste time on social media by way of propaganda for DBC. Lots of the things he posts about are real problems. And he’s willing to give his time here and on DBC.

3. Albert has explained his error. A simple mistake. No pressure from DBC. And as for popularity, I’ve already pointed out the very, very, low number for the outspoken vociferous ones. 

It’s not the job of DBC, it’s staff or councillors to take decisions to be popular. It’s there job to make hard decisions, delivering central government and local policies for the benefit of all, popular or not.

Yep, there’s a debate to be about how green recycling off island is. But that debate wasn’t being had. Just some shouty people, very very few, trying to browbeat the majority, by any nasty tactic they could.

Great summary @John Wright, shame to some it will make no difference as they won't be moved from their own views. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, John Wright said:

BACKGROUND

DBC called the meeting.

AFTERMATH ON MF

As one of the original moaners, even I think its gone way too far now. Its like hysteria. 

I am fine with my fortnightly, I have had worse things imposed on me

Lets all move on FFS and get the Prom thread back up to the top of the league and let this one go down to the conference.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Ah yes, because I support free speech I should have to endure abuse. Sure thing. Please just stop with your pseudo intellectual bullshit.

It's your server to switch on or switch off - do what you like.

Anyway, you seem pretty tense about this issue and I don't want to be a part of the damage that it's doing to your reputation.

Reading between the lines this seems to have not so subtly shifted into an attack on MF rather than a debate on the original subject. It's quite sinister and should stop (or be stopped) before lasting damage is done. I'm no fan of JW, but this episode feels to me as though the waters are being tested for vulnerability now he isn't around presiding over proceedings. If this is not the case, it's very odd that it should all blow up just now.

Don't rise to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3