More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Why don't you ask DBC all those interesting questions yourself?  If you get a response it would be nice if you published it here.  I was merely pointing out that those words do not mean what you think (or hope) they mean.

Ah, only because you seemed to imply you knew the answers.

You said: "'due consultation' doesn't mean a full public consultation in every case," which implies you knew what "due consultation" actually meant (and I am grateful for your attempt to educate me in the literal rule - thanks).

You said, "in every case," which implies that you're aware of a decision-making process: a full public consultation could occur in some cases but not in others.

You said, "there were limited consultations that did take place," which suggests a distinction exists between full public consultations and limited consultations, although you do concede that arrangements for either may not in fact exist at all. It also suggests DBC knew a consultation was required as per Article 11.2 and decided a cursory SurveyMonkey to existing recyclers would suffice.

It's a bit of a confused post really. Thanks though for the advice to approach DBC. Actually I'm not inclined because their attitude on Monday was JFDI.

47 minutes ago, BriT said:

But nobody at all voted for them. At all. 

If there was no elected unopposed option such is the level of apathy organisations would very quickly run out of enough folks to run them.

But it is fair to say that those who get elected by this method have no public mandate. Which is not their fault...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If there was no elected unopposed option such is the level of apathy organisations would very quickly run out of enough folks to run them.

But it is fair to say that those who get elected by this method have no public mandate. Which is not their fault...

Or it says that everyone was so enamoured with the nomination that they were all disinclined to stand against them. What more ringing public endorsement could there be? Not one vote against.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You can’t discount people who took the decision to run for election simply because nobody else wanted to.

Lets say Chelsea football club were drawn against Arsenal in a round of the FA Cup.

Arsenal couldn’t be arsed to field a team. Thus Chelsea were awarded the victory.

Would you have an argument against that or would you say chelsea shouldn’t progress because they were unopposed.?

Ridiculous

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

Or it says that everyone was so enamoured with the nomination that they were all disinclined to stand against them. What more ringing public endorsement could there be? Not one vote against.

Maybe the ballot should have candidates name and a 'none of the above' option. If they win the majority they have a mandate. As it is, they are literally unelected as not a single vote can be cast (apart from their mates nominations) if they are unopposed. And either way, if they take the role then they are accountable to ALL residents not just those who voted for them, not even those who voted against them but those that didn't vote at all, and the criticism that comes with it.

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe the ballot should have candidates name and a 'none of the above' option. If they win the majority they have a mandate. As it is, they are literally unelected as not a single vote can be cast (apart from their mates nominations) if they are unopposed. And either way, if they take the role then they are accountable to ALL residents not just those who voted for them, not even those who voted against them but those that didn't vote at all, and the criticism that comes with it.

I think the system is fine as it is

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Okay, let's do that.
Or,

Let's not do that; let's trust a system that started in 1215 AD and has worked ever since.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Viddy well said:

Ah, only because you seemed to imply you knew the answers.

You said: "'due consultation' doesn't mean a full public consultation in every case," which implies you knew what "due consultation" actually meant (and I am grateful for your attempt to educate me in the literal rule - thanks).

You said, "in every case," which implies that you're aware of a decision-making process: a full public consultation could occur in some cases but not in others.

You said, "there were limited consultations that did take place," which suggests a distinction exists between full public consultations and limited consultations, although you do concede that arrangements for either may not in fact exist at all. It also suggests DBC knew a consultation was required as per Article 11.2 and decided a cursory SurveyMonkey to existing recyclers would suffice.

It's a bit of a confused post really. Thanks though for the advice to approach DBC. Actually I'm not inclined because their attitude on Monday was JFDI.

Edited by Viddy well
Uncalled for, in hindsight

8 hours ago, Viddy well said:

LOL. Roger Mexico pwnd?

I wonder how many of your other historic, wise prognostications have been of similar quality for want of challenge.

Will you give me the courtesy of a reasoned reply? Don't spend hours on a clever reply - just give me the authentic Roger Mexico as soon as you can.

Edited by Viddy well
ditto

40 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

LOL. Roger Mexico pwnd?

I wonder how many of your other historic, wise prognostications have been of similar quality for want of challenge.

Will you give me the courtesy of a reasoned reply? Don't spend hours on a clever reply - just give me the authentic Roger Mexico as soon as you can.

I not sure you can interpret "due consultation" as a full public consultation.   It doesn't say who to consult either.  The rest of that provision refers to also taking professional advice, so I think it is more about the Council making sure it has all necessary information and advice before making a decision.