More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Raffles, like Daphne can obviously afford to fork out for "free" energy while the plebs struggle.

Solar snobbery... 

Yes I can. I work and earn a good wage. Sorry about that. 

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Really?  If those who are already being helped in lots of ways get free energy as well, then where is the incentive for my kids to work and earn say 30k a year to pay massive rent and bills and end up with much less disposable income than someone who doesn’t work?

When helping people you have to look at the knock on effect to everyone.  It would be very wrong to put more pressure on those low/middle earners who don’t receive any help to make those who earn less than then comparatively better off?

Don’t you agree? We should be helping everyone and at the moment it’s the ones just above the point at which the state helps them and the other normal working people who are getting hit hardest by mortgage/rent increases, energy increases and increases in fuel to get to and from work and childcare.

I don't agree, no. Nor do I care what motivates your children. I am fully supportive of replacing gas with solar in social housing whether it affects your children's incentive to work or not, funnily enough. 

But there are plans in the pipeline to help everybody with investing in renewables. We will be moving away from oil and gas to renewables whether any of you like it or not I'm afraid :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Yes I can. I work and earn a good wage. Sorry about that. 

I don't agree, no. Nor do I care what motivates your children. I am fully supportive of replacing gas with solar in social housing whether it affects your children's incentive to work or not, funnily enough. 

But there are plans in the pipeline to help everybody with investing in renewables. We will be moving away from oil and gas to renewables whether any of you like it or not I'm afraid :)

I don’t disagree we will be moving towards renewables.

I am convinced that individual solar arrays on houses won’t be a significant part of it.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manx17 said:

You stated you do not see the issue with gas being used in corporation houses. I would say you are in the minority.

No, I don't see an issue and can understand why it is no longer the optimum.  The original decision was probably right but things have changed.  That does not make me a multimillionaire. 

2 hours ago, Raffles said:

You stick with your boiler then and I'll stick with my free energy from solar 😂

@Raffles serious question, how much do you anticipate paying for your battery, which might have perhaps a 10 year life maximum?

Fair play to ya for being environmentally conscious, but like all early adoptors, i fear you'll end up with over-priced and out of date technology. You only need to read a few research papers to see the leaps and bounds coming on behind the scenes... and in any case, in the event you produce too much electricity (photovoltaic array) you can't sell it on yet. If it's solar for hot water, then summer, you'll produce too much, winter not enough.. 

third gen is the way to go, but they're not available commercially yet (as far as i know)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, finlo said:

Don't believe all that Daffers spouts!

Variation of Light Energy with Month.jpg

It depends which way the house is facing. A south-facing roof needs one array. A house with east/west roofs needs two arrays. A house with only a north-facing roof...

Maybe Dandara should be instructed to only build houses with a south-facing roof.

4 hours ago, Raffles said:

You stick with your boiler then and I'll stick with my free energy from solar 😂

There is no such thing as free energy.

Either you are

1. Fibbing or

2. Deluded or

3. You have lots of money.

4. Like living in the cold or

5. An extremely insulated house

6. A very large roof

7. Lots of batteries 

Or all of the above.

The economics still dont stand up. You sound smug. I'm sorry but I dont believe you. Could you give more details how you exist on this free energy. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Either you are

1. Fibbing or

2. Deluded or

3. You have lots of money.

4. Like living in the cold or

5. An extremely insulated house

6. A very large roof

7. Lots of batteries 

Or all of the above.

The economics still dont stand up. You sound smug. I'm sorry but I dont believe you. Could you give more details how you exist on this free energy. 

He has been asked a couple of times and not responded.  I will go with 1

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t disagree we will be moving towards renewables.

I am convinced that individual solar arrays on houses won’t be a significant part of it.

Yes, agreed. The thing now is that in all the excitement about solar, expectations have surged ahead of the science. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

A lot of it was health and safety. Problems with the siting of oil tanks and changes to the rules on what could and couldn’t be done with storage for oil for oil fired C/H systems. It’s not like government foresaw a spike in gas prices 15 years after they swapped to gas is it? 

gas was more expensive at the time anyway, it hasn't just become more expensive than oil,  my house is 33 years old , the plumber wanted to fit the easy gas option and i said oil so he had to run a few more pipes and fit a storage tank with an immersion heater.  my bills for oil were cheaper than the neighbours gas bills back then. since then  i have replaced the boiler with a combi system , the only down side being no immersion heater anymore if the boiler breaks down so no hot water or heating obviously.  i don't know what the sums are regards gas vs electric storage heaters but i'd have a wager that gas was the dearer option

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

the energy from the sun is 'free' , harnessing it is where there are costs.  in a similar way water is free , it rains but unlike solar you need more of a distribution network and filtration etc which few town houses would have space for, some farmers could be self sufficient especially if a river ran through their property.