More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 minutes ago, BriT said:

Classic bullying techniques. Following these newspaper links is interesting though as it looks like the comments keep disappearing on the IOM today website and then pop back up again. Which suggests that someone is wasting much more time reporting them to Tindle Press and having then deleted than the poster is spending putting them back up. So looks more like someone taking the piss and sucking someone’s time than having some sort of episode to me. 

Interesting that in your world it’s ok for people to post libellous content about an individual online and not to expect the person to take action. I guess I should just take that as part of the job right? Like you would take it as part of yours if someone did it to you. 

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Or to create hundreds of accounts here to post similar stuff again and again and again? I think it’s fair to say that most people would find this to be outside of healthy norms. 

Forum folklore without much evidence again. What tools do you have to monitor all these accounts you claim exist? Genuinely interested. It does all read a bit fantastic to be fair. 

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Interesting that in your world it’s ok for people to post libellous content about an individual online and not to expect the person to take action. I guess I should just take that as part of the job right? Like you would take it as part of yours if someone did it to you. 

Which bits are libelous I haven’t really read the whole thing just seen it appear and disappear on the newspaper pages linked above a few times so just assumed someone was asking the papers to delete it. 

4 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Forum folklore without much evidence again. What tools do you have to monitor all these accounts you claim exist? Genuinely interested. It does all read a bit fantastic to be fair. 

We’ve been over this loads of times. If you think John and Slinky and Albert and Gladys and others are making it up, then go believe that. Nothing I can do. We have various tools that I won’t explain in detail for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

We’ve been over this loads of times. If you think John and Slinky and Albert and Gladys and others are making it up, then go believe that. Nothing I can do. We have various tools that I won’t explain in detail for obvious reasons. 

I’m genuinely interested in what checks go on as from a GDPR perspective I wonder what, if any, personal data is held that allows such claimed connections to be made. I have to say I don’t personally believe any of this stuff about we have to ban poster X who we say is poster Y who also used to be poster Z. It just seems far fetched and a way of justifying blocking content you just don’t like by associating it with other stuff you haven’t liked either. 

15 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Ok there Sigmund, then kindly explain to me how it is normal for an individual to repeatedly and obsessively post the same ranting and libellous comment across multiple articles on Iomtoday? Or to create hundreds of accounts here to post similar stuff again and again and again? I think it’s fair to say that most people would find this to be outside of healthy norms. 

Respect goes both ways. I think the point is missed. My name is @Apple

However I do think I am qualified to make the post having worked many years in mental health services. I make no judgements on the individuals named in this case. You have the tools you need.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Apple said:

However I do think I am qualified to make the post having worked many years in mental health services. I make no judgements on the individuals named in this case. You have the tools you need.

Well said it’s classic bullying to make statements about people who are just members on an anonymous forum who have posted stuff. The question and answer above does lead you to question how anonymous it all is though I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:
18 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I think it's safe to say I'm not the one having issues here and I hope the individual gets the help that is clearly needed. 

Why does this forum seem to be so keen to make constant attacks about peoples claimed mental health? The whole place seems to have gone mad this week. 

Let's ignore the delicious irony in the last sentence.  Only two people - one recent poster, one in the more distant past - have been discussed with respect to mental health problems, neither under their real names (which I, like most of us, don't know).  In both cases their behaviour online was so extreme and repetitive that the kindest explanation[1] was some kind of obsessive mental health problem.

In the end we can only judge people, with respect to Manx Forums, by how they present themselves on it.  If they are behaving like a mad person, everyone else will assume you are one.  And if action is taken because of that behaviour, that is only taken against their online persona(s).  No one is coming round to arrest them or section them, any more than Amadeus will come round to knock over you bin.

But equally, this isn't a video game where you can behave as you want and kill as many people as you like and no harm is done.  This is a forum discussing the real world and the Isle of Man in particular.  Words can have consequences and people need to be consider what they post.

[1]  TJ in his various personas (which were clearly linked, at one time he use the names of a whole series of US presidents for example) was actually so disruptive that a number of people actually thought he was paid by the Government to disrupt and discredit the Forum.  Every topic got derailed by his constant interruptions where he tried to make everything about himself and his opinions.  In the end though it was thought this would be both too clever and to much like hard work for the government to manage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

It’s clearly an issue in the high density areas like apartment blocks and other shared building according to the videos. Which is the sort of spaces which don’t exist in rural areas where collections might be 2 weekly. 

So perhaps "high density areas like apartment blocks" should be paying rather more for their garbage collection than people who can get by perfectly well on 2 collections per month.

The rates should not be a wealth tax. It should be a charge to cover the cost of the services which people actually use. And those who use more should pay more.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Words can have consequences and people need to be consider what they post.

Agreed. Applies to all.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

was some kind of obsessive mental health problem.

46 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Also probably a mental health issue.

Impossible to assess. Projection ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Apple said:

Impossible to assess. Projection ?

How else do assess someone's mental state except by their actions and their words?  And the point was that in those two particular cases, the pattern of behaviour was such and repeated so often as to imply some sort of underlying mental problem.  It wasn't the occasional instance of someone getting angry or someone acting a role - it was just too persistent.

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

So perhaps "high density areas like apartment blocks" should be paying rather more for their garbage collection than people who can get by perfectly well on 2 collections per month.

The rates should not be a wealth tax. It should be a charge to cover the cost of the services which people actually use. And those who use more should pay more.

Exactly right, if you want to play bowls, golf, hockey & football you should pay for it & not expect subsidy from rates, only exceptions juniors where it should be subsidized.

• Like 3