More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Exactly right, if you want to play bowls, golf, hockey & football you should pay for it & not expect subsidy from rates, only exceptions juniors where it should be subsidized.

I'm usually thought of as somewhere to the right of Augusto Pinochet on here for some reason, but I disagree with this. I think that municipal leisure facilities like sports centres, swimming pools and playing fields are great things to have. So too are parks, gardens, playgrounds and people such as gardeners, park-keepers and maintenance staff who generally make a town a nice place to be and instill a sense of civic pride. There is far too little of it nowadays. I would much prefer to see taxpayers' resources invested in these life enriching assets than sunk into the cost of ever increasing legions of pen-pushers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  TJ in his various personas (which were clearly linked, at one time he use the names of a whole series of US presidents for example) was actually so disruptive that a number of people actually thought he was paid by the Government to disrupt and discredit the Forum.  Every topic got derailed by his constant interruptions where he tried to make everything about himself and his opinions.  In the end though it was thought this would be both too clever and to much like hard work for the government to manage.

I have no idea who this TJ is so it doesn’t really have any relevance to me. I also can’t really see any irony. I sort of agree with the theme of what you say. But accusations as to the alleged mental health of anonymous avatars on a forum seems really to just be a bullying tactic to taint or discredit what an anonymous forum avatar says. 

Just now, Steady Eddie said:

I have no idea who this TJ is so it doesn’t really have any relevance to me. I also can’t really see any irony. I sort of agree with the theme of what you say. But accusations as to the alleged mental health of anonymous avatars on a forum seems really to just be a bullying tactic to taint or discredit what an anonymous forum avatar says. 

Unless you have been on the receiving end.  Just saying, as I really do not want to enter this debate.  

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm usually thought of as somewhere to the right of Augusto Pinochet on here for some reason, but I disagree with this. I think that municipal leisure facilities like sports centres, swimming pools and playing fields are great things to have. So too are parks, gardens, playgrounds and people such as gardeners, park-keepers and maintenance staff who generally make a town a nice place to be and instill a sense of civic pride. There is far too little of it nowadays. I would much prefer to see taxpayers' resources invested in these life enriching assets than sunk into the cost of ever increasing legions of pen-pushers.

I think it's more somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan...

They wouldn't dare "rightsize" the PS/CS. That ship sailed long ago.

As the PS/CS are the biggest political lobby on the island reducing their numbers would almost certainly lead to various MHK's losing their very cushty numbers. Therefore not an option. Plus redeploying a lot of folks back into the jobs market would mean paying increased amounts of benefits because pencil-heads are not exactly skilled workers with a marketable trade.

Never going to happen. Which means the obvious way forward is a total ban on recruitment, especially of the recently retired, and management re-grading to match the level of responsibility involved and not because it matches the UK JD.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

What you said was: Why does this forum seem to be so keen to make constant attacks about peoples claimed mental health? The whole place seems to have gone mad this week. 

So it looked like you were complaining about people calling each other mad while calling everyone mad.  It wasn't really what you meant, I presume, but it amused me.

And yes accusing people of being insane or drunk or stoned or a close relative of a politician, based only on the fact that they disagree with you is silly and impolite and unconvincing as an argument.  But there can be cases where someone is clearly very disturbed as shown by their behaviour on here and it's not just disruptive but clearly not in their own best interests and any interaction just seems to make them worse.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

I cant even find a poster called TJ on a member search. How many years back are you going to basically try to destroy someone’s credibility to current forum participants?

If you cannot find a poster, how can I destroy their credibility?  It was a general observation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

So it looked like you were complaining about people calling each other mad while calling everyone mad.  It wasn't really what you meant, I presume, but it amused me.

Ok that makes sense. No it wasn’t what I meant. But I get it now you’ve explained it. If so much disturbed posting behaviour goes on here I hope the admins are logging it and flagging it with the mental health services. I mean if these multiple people they claim are disturbed are really disturbed it would be reckless not to not use the information they allegedly have at hand to save a life. 

Edited by Steady Eddie

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

How else do assess someone's mental state except by their actions and their words?

From a multitude of assessment criteria and over a long period of time.

Edited by Apple

5 hours ago, genericUserName said:

So perhaps "high density areas like apartment blocks" should be paying rather more for their garbage collection than people who can get by perfectly well on 2 collections per month.

The rates should not be a wealth tax. It should be a charge to cover the cost of the services which people actually use. And those who use more should pay more.

Rightly or wrongly, rates have always been a wealth ( or more accurately a property tax) . Other things have been tried haven't they? Without success.