More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

4 hours ago, Viddy well said:

What measures are being taken to force Santon into recycling?

This is after all a matter of principle is it not?

Isn’t santon already two weekly collection?  If it has then it has been for well over 20 years with no issues.

If not then they have changed it since I rented in that part of the world

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But none of these things are the councillors' 'jobs'.  They're supposed to decide policy and explain the reasons for it, not decide on and personally implement every detail of how that policy is carried out.  That's all the job of the officers, especially the more senior ones.  The fact that councillors are actually having to do the job of communication and sorting out details suggests the failure lies with those and the invisibility from those 20-odd 'leadership' staff on £50k+ makes you wonder exactly what it is they do with their time.

So saying the councillors aren't up to the job is hardly fair - especially given most of them are fairly new to the job - nearly all of the old guard went in the last six years or so.  They're working within the restrictions and rules they inherited and I think they should be doing more to try to change them, but it's not easy and it can't be done quickly.

There's actually been a lot of useful criticism made on here about how this policy has been brought in and what could be done to improve things.  And the problems don't just lie with DBC, an awful lot of them arise from the lack of a coherent and consistent waste disposal policy at the level this should be decided - IOMG.  But the useful comments have been drowned out by screeching denunciations and personal attacks. Far too often commentary on Manx Forums seems to be sum up as "Everything is shit and we will attack anyone who tries to change it".

Because they are unelected greens who took advantage of no candidates and infiltrated our council and openly trying to control our behaviours to suit theirs .  You want people to recycle,  encourage it , can you not see removing public bins is spiteful and dictator like along with utter stupidity

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Because I enjoy nothing more than arguing with people on the internet at all hours of the day, I went and asked. I do not have any exact figures I can share here (mainly because I'm not on the Env committee) but it does appear as if we are providing refuse collection services for Santon and it is my understanding that Santon ratepayers pay for this, and that the service is either cost neutral or even slightly profitable for DBC. if you know better, why don't you tell us? Or email me what you think you know / heard down the pub and I will check with town hall?  

Oh I didn't hear it from the pub . Reality is there's lots in Douglas Council that don't like what you councillors are doing . Its fine we will do a freedom of information request which we've literally put in, I cannot wait until the truth comes out here , unless you pay your staff below the minimum wage it cannot be making money and you know it . I know first hand you are giving Santon ratepayers a better service , a weekly service and clearly for a loss and even if it was cost neutral which it's not,why would you provide a service thats better than your own for no profit. So you can hide behind your wit on here , just like Mr Bentley on twitter but the truth will come out Frank . I Wonder what else your wasting our rates on 🤔. Merry Christmas pal .

Edited by Manxieover65

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Isn’t santon already two weekly collection?  If it has then it has been for well over 20 years with no issues.

If not then they have changed it since I rented in that part of the world

There's is weekly , provided by Douglas Corporation.  Have a look yourself . It also cost you money If your a ratepayer of Douglas . Which they will pretend isn't happening but it is 

2 hours ago, Manxieover65 said:

There's is weekly , provided by Douglas Corporation.  Have a look yourself . It also cost you money If your a ratepayer of Douglas . Which they will pretend isn't happening but it is 

I somehow doubt DBC are THAT stupid. If that is the case, I imagine it’s just a historic thing that needs reviewing and no doubt if Frank founds out this is the case, he’ll get it reviewed won’t ya @Amadeus?

6 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Actually I believe it’s quite a new thing. Contract signed in the last 18 months.  

I have young family members who believe in Santa, doesn't mean it's legitimate.

However I'm sure if what you are saying is true, they'll cover it up and/or maybe fix it in the background.

I was wondering about work outside their area. DBC used to do Castletown, but now it is Jones, I assume that the contract goes out to tender every so often. It's always a little questionable when a public service provider is up against a private contractor, a bin wagon must be a pretty big investment, easier to spend the money when it isn't yours and you don't have to win contracts to pay it off. You can see why the smaller authorities wouldn't buy their own, and instead pay someone to deal with it. It might be that the best way for DBC to manage the staff time and workload involves a day a week out of town and that doing Santon (pretty sure I've seen them in Balthane Industrial Estate too) is the best option for everyone, I don't know, but someone should talk about it openly.

• Like 1