More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

On 12/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, Manxieover65 said:

I see even Devon is distancing himself from this step . Time for the Douglas folk to build a big bonfire and chuck all our excess rubbish on it . As for the above the moment he said to change peoples behaviours is the moment I stop making any effort in recycling , encouraging recycling is a great idea , forcing it will have adverse effect and no I won't stop buying the foods I like to make less rubbish . They are for the most part unelected , and took the chance to dictate green to people . For me it's War now , and I'll purposely do the opposite to their demands . 

As for the list of councillors who voted for the removal of waste bins , that will be the end of their short lived political careers at the next election . Even Devon has clearly realised that . Enjoy it whilst you can Frank and friends . Next waste bags going outside Falk's front door .

"I stop making any..."  "I won''t stop..."  Says way more about you than DBC.
Dunno about being over 65 - you're acting just like my 6 year old.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tailless said:

"I stop making any..."  "I won''t stop..."  Says way more about you than DBC.
Dunno about being over 65 - you're acting just like my 6 year old.

Seems like people in flats don't appreciate having their front rooms turned into recyclable refuse sorting terminals. How unreasonable.

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps those people could explain exactly what the issue is. 

From the YouTube clips it looks like they did and were totally ignored. One guy who runs management companies for flats looks like he explained it very well but was then blanked as it didn’t follow the script they had in mind. 

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

From the YouTube clips it looks like they did and were totally ignored. One guy who runs management companies for flats looks like he explained it very well but was then blanked as it didn’t follow the script they had in mind. 

Do you have a link? 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Do you have a link? 

Hmm - okay. So when I drink my bottle of water or cook my tin of beans, I now have to recycle it. If I don't, then I will not have enough capacity in my shared black bin (more about that later). 

I can of course walk four flights of stairs down to my recycling tub, but actually I can't because obstructions in the communal area are forbidden by the contract. My management company is not permitted to put bins on the highway and the communal yard is too small to accommodate bins and recycling tubs.

So: I now have two tubs in my flat, and a bag. The plastics tub isn't so bad - it's light, and while it's unsightly, it lives next to the sofa.

The glass tub on the other hand is a monstrosity. It fills up over the two weeks (we keep it in the kitchen) and it's a real handful to carry down four flights of stairs to the front.

Has this inconvenience made me more likely to shop differently? Well no, because my petty travails, for some reason, don't stop international retailers from packaging their products in glass jars, metal tins and plastic. I literally have no choice but to buy the products I require in the packaging supplied.

I used to think recycling was a social good but now it's become clear that it's a scam albeit giving those in power a "feel-good" factor.

I also used to think voting in local elections was a waste of time. I don't think that now.

• Like 5

*On shared bins.

Imagine four tenants sharing three bins. It used to be that you put your waste in one of the three bins and there was always enough capacity.

Now, four tenants chase the bins and the balance gets left as side waste. All we do now is stuff the bins to the max and take our names off the side waste and hope for the best.

To their credit, DBC bin men have been taking all of the bin bags as well. That is the one saving grace we have experienced in our street.

4 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

I also used to think voting in local elections was a waste of time. I don't think that now.

I also see a few asking now what recall or no confidence options apply for local authorities. You only have to look at her face in the above clip I’ve posted to be convinced that anyone would be better than her to represent Douglas. 

7 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

Hmm - okay. So when I drink my bottle of water or cook my tin of beans, I now have to recycle it. If I don't, then I will not have enough capacity in my shared black bin (more about that later). 

I can of course walk four flights of stairs down to my recycling tub, but actually I can't because obstructions in the communal area are forbidden by the contract. My management company is not permitted to put bins on the highway and the communal yard is too small to accommodate bins and recycling tubs.

So: I now have two tubs in my flat, and a bag. The plastics tub isn't so bad - it's light, and while it's unsightly, it lives next to the sofa.

The glass tub on the other hand is a monstrosity. It fills up over the two weeks (we keep it in the kitchen) and it's a real handful to carry down four flights of stairs to the front.

Has this inconvenience made me more likely to shop differently? Well no, because my petty travails, for some reason, don't stop international retailers from packaging their products in glass jars, metal tins and plastic. I literally have no choice but to buy the products I require in the packaging supplied.

I used to think recycling was a social good but now it's become clear that it's a scam albeit giving those in power a "feel-good" factor.

Have these issues been raised with DBC? 

4 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

*On shared bins.

Imagine four tenants sharing three bins. It used to be that you put your waste in one of the three bins and there was always enough capacity.

Now, four tenants chase the bins and the balance gets left as side waste. All we do now is stuff the bins to the max and take our names off the side waste and hope for the best.

To their credit, DBC bin men have been taking all of the bin bags as well. That is the one saving grace we have experienced in our street.

Have you asked for more bins? 

I've posted on this topic before - although perhaps not on this thread.

Where I live in the UK we've had alternating fortnightly collections for well over the last 10 or 12 years.  Collection day for us is Thursday - recycling one week and general refuse the next.

Although I was initially very skeptical about it because I didn't think it would work and that we'd have bins overflowing in the street and be inundated with rats and urban foxes, which are common locally.  But I actually have to admit it works very well and there haven't been any real problems with it since it was introduced.

However, I think one of the reasons it has worked is because our local authority didn't go about it in a half-arsed manner and actually planned it properly - unlike, perhaps, DBC.

Two of the reasons it works where I live - and I suspect this hasn't happened in Douglas - are as follows:

First, the local authority has given every household two decent sized wheelie bins - one for all recycling (paper, cardboard, glass, cans, some plastics etc) and the other for general waste.  I think a standard wheelie bin is 240 litres but you can also get a smaller one at 120 litres.  If your household has five or more members you can get a 360 litre bin.

Second - and perhaps most important of all - each household has two food waste caddies (one to stay in the kitchen and the other larger one that sits outside to be collected from) and food waste is collected weekly on the same day as the alternating recycling and general rubbish is collected.

Without a weekly food waste collection there is no way that a fortnightly general rubbish collection would be acceptable.

Because of the food waste collection we've significantly reduced our production of general rubbish.  We've also reduced our general rubbish by recycling more.  But we can recycle a lot because we have a 240 litre recycling bin.

We've never come close to filling any of our bins even when we've accidentally missed one of the fortnightly general rubbish collections.  Having said that we don't produce a lot of food waste except for fruit and vegetable peelings and teabags.  We don't waste food.  And we cut down on recycling by not buying ready meals etc.

I don't know what arrangements have been made for blocks of flats and other multi-occupancy buildings.  But whatever arrangements (probably huge communal bins) have been made, they must work.  But if Douglas Council haven't accommodated the needs of people living in flats etc with nowhere to store bins, or waste or recycling, that's obviously a problem Douglas council needs to sort out.  Surely it can't be beyond them now it's achieved city status.

A couple of other points:

1.  I'm not some crazed green environmentalist.  I think the planet is already totally fucked whatever we do, but if having fortnightly rather than weekly collections keeps my council tax lower than it otherwise would be, I'm all for it.

2.  Although we have two wheelie bins and a food caddy, we only have one collection day a week.  In our case it's a Thursday.

3.  There are young families on our road with kids young enough to need nappies.  Fortnightly colections appear to pose no problems.  Likewise, people with cats and dogs seem to have no problems with cat litter and dog shit.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't know what arrangements have been made for blocks of flats and other multi-occupancy buildings.  But whatever arrangements (probably huge communal bins) have been made, they must work.  But if Douglas Council haven't accommodated the needs of people living in flats etc with nowhere to store bins, or waste or recycling, that's obviously a problem Douglas council needs to sort out.  Surely it can't be beyond them now it's achieved city status.

There seems to be some weird stuff going on again online. IOM Newspapers have now removed all comments from under the story they did yesterday so presumably someone at DBC has clearly complained. Most of the comments didn’t look that bad to be honest but why remove every one even if they don’t like some? You do get the impression that DBC really do have an issue with freedom of speech if it’s negative about them. That’s on top of comments that have also been removed on here.

The papers are now suggesting that they will only allow comments from people they have pre vetted first (name, address, email, phone). All very odd. It seems that DBC seem to believe that they can’t actually be that unpopular but given the attitude that is on display why would anyone come forward only to risk being targeted by people who are appearing to be more despotic by the day? 

2F909D8F-1BBE-4386-9348-63EB0AAEA782.jpeg

Edited by Steady Eddie