More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Not quite on this particular issue but related.

I went to my local Shoprite the other day having forgotten to pack bags for my shopping to take home. (It took me a while but I am now accustomed to doing this.)

I had to therefore buy 2 plastic bags at the till at a cost of 75p each.

They were  sturdier than the ones you used to get for free ( but those would have sufficed just as well)

I doubt very much that the cost of buying and supplying these bags were anywhere nearer that price. 30p per bag I imagine would more than cover their costs and allowed for a profit, having looked at such bag wholesalers on eBay.

So either Shoprite are acting as eco police, charging this as amount as punitive measure, or are just profiteering from my absent mindedness. Either  way it is wrong. You have the choice to buy or not buy anything else in the shop but you need a means of transporting your purchases particularly if on foot.

Making money in this way is just morally unacceptable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not quite on this particular issue but related.

I went to my local Shoprite the other day having forgotten to pack bags for my shopping to take home. (It took me a while but I am now accustomed to doing this.)

I had to therefore buy 2 plastic bags at the till at a cost of 75p each.

They were  sturdier than the ones you used to get for free ( but those would have sufficed just as well)

I doubt very much that the cost of buying and supplying these bags were anywhere nearer that price. 30p per bag I imagine would more than cover their costs and allowed for a profit, having looked at such bag wholesalers on eBay.

So either Shoprite are acting as eco police, charging this as amount as punitive measure, or are just profiteering from my absent mindedness. Either  way it is wrong. You have the choice to buy or not buy anything else in the shop but you need a means of transporting your purchases particularly if on foot.

Making money in this way is just morally unacceptable.

Must have been a "bag for life" type bag because the standard carrier bag are 10 pence.

20 minutes ago, finlo said:

Must have been a "bag for life" type bag because the standard carrier bag are 10 pence.

Well I didn’t see any of those  for sale. Maybe they are hidden with the cigarettes behind a closed counter?

As an aside do you think anyone goes into a supermarket and says” I bought this bag for life. and it has split. Please give me a free replacement “

Be interesting to know

47 minutes ago, Apple said:

Remember the old adage care of Thatcher -user pays.

Eventually there will be a system that will mean that individual households will pay for what rubbish they create.  We need to get ready for that. 

if a consumer buys an overwrapped product, who is to blame?

Plastic needs to be stopped/reduced at sourced. It won't be chucked if it isn't produced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I didn’t see any of those  for sale. Maybe they are hidden with the cigarettes behind a closed counter?

As an aside do you think anyone goes into a supermarket and says” I bought this bag for life. and it has split. Please give me a free replacement “

Be interesting to know

Cashier always asks if you need a bag but you'd obviously already picked up an "expensive" one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoops said:

The consumer ultimately.

3 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Plastic needs to be stopped/reduced at sourced. It won't be chucked if it isn't produced.

Charge the people who keep buying it and the demand will diminish. Demand leads supply.

There are people buying frozen pizzas on polystyrene bases, wrapped in plastic, boxed and then wrapped in more plastic. Flour, tomato and cheese. There are people buying chips in plastic bags.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, genericUserName said:

The consumer ultimately.

Charge the people who keep buying it and the demand will diminish. Demand leads supply.

There are people buying frozen pizzas on polystyrene bases, wrapped in plastic, boxed and then wrapped in more plastic. Flour, tomato and cheese. There are people buying chips in plastic bags.

We have had this discussion before, most pre-prepared food is over-packaged (and over-priced compared to making it from scratch).  What boils my piss though, is the packaging often conceals how little you are getting. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoops said:

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Remember the old adage care of Thatcher -user pays.

Eventually there will be a system that will mean that individual households will pay for what rubbish they create.  We need to get ready for that. 

I’d rather not remember anything about Thatcher thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The consumer ultimately.

There are care-workers coming home after 18 hr shifts wanting something quick to eat.

Punish the people who create and profit from this industry - the manufacturers, not the users.

Charge the end-user, they pay twice.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’d rather not remember anything about Thatcher thank you very much.

I agree, but is still is being applied. The argument being why should everyone else pay for those who create the biggest costs to the community. 

39 minutes ago, Gilbert Wanksock said:

Tatlocks constant pissing in the wind to please his masters is what’s embarrassing. He couldn’t argue his way out of a wet paper bag and has all the whit of a stale fart.

Welcome, new member.  Who are Tatlock's masters? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Be interesting to know

You presumably bought those yellow Sainsburys ones, if you ask (or as someone says they usually ask you) the Shoprite bags for life are cheaper (20p?). I'm constantly amazed how many people come without and always seem happy to pay.  But clearly the bfls are sold with a massive profit margin.  Profits on them were supposed to go to local charities, but you suspect they don't.

I have actually has bfls replaced when they disintegrated in Tesco and Shoprite (I was reusing them before it was fashionable and I reuse them to death).  I even had to Coop replace someone else's once. 

2 hours ago, Hoops said:

There are care-workers coming home after 18 hr shifts wanting something quick to eat.

Punish the people who create and profit from this industry - the manufacturers, not the users.

Fully agree it’s the manufacturers who should be made to pay for the environmental cost of the packaging not the consumers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1