More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

7 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Fully agree it’s the manufacturers who should be made to pay for the environmental cost of the packaging not the consumers. 

It's hardly surprising that someone who goes by the name 'banker' should find it laughable that an industry that creates a problem should have to pay to sort it out.....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, genericUserName said:

The consumer ultimately.

Charge the people who keep buying it and the demand will diminish. Demand leads supply.

There are people buying frozen pizzas on polystyrene bases, wrapped in plastic, boxed and then wrapped in more plastic. Flour, tomato and cheese. There are people buying chips in plastic bags.

You must do what we believe it sounds like . How about the council do what the majority of the people want and pay for and anyone who wishes to "help save the planet" does

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

So, the argument really should be about an all island waste management strategy, using the incinerator in the most effective way (generating the most electricity at the least cost) whilst recycling what can be recycled, ideally locally, to generate the most return.

Not whether DBC collects bins once a week or fortnightly.  

No they should of kept the weekly service or compromised and gave people two bins who wanted them . Then more would be encouraged to recycle.  Forcing people has had the adverse effect . 

Climate change had people who are highly intelligent arguing so forcing people because there's a lot of green minded people in the council isn't the way forward , encouraging is . 

If I believe for example chips are good for everyone's health,  then get a position in the council , I shouldn't then force everyone to buy chips . It's exactly the same logic . 

Climate change agenda has forced lots back to coal fires which is surely worse for the environment much like douglas councils bin policy's has forced people to burn rubbish,  forced them to drive repeatedly to the tip and forced people to fly tip . Each of these is far worse than them giving people two bins without being forced to recycle or bringing back weekly service . Those who are currently recycling will Continue to do so regardless and those who feel forced might just try . But I won't whilst I'm being forced 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/31/2022 at 2:35 PM, Steady Eddie said:

It’s the sort of costly deadbeat thing DBC would probably do. They’re already apparently searching through peoples rubbish to identify who they are.

DBC Mission Statement: "To serve the residents of Douglas with integrity, honesty and the desire to create an affordable and healthy future for our town."  

Not sure that rummaging through rubbish bins is the way to go.

The UK concluded that food waste had to be collected weekly due to becoming fly blown, attracting vermin, becoming a health hazard etc etc.

I would like to hear how unlike the UK it seems DBC can apparently avoid this happening here...?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

It's hardly surprising that someone who goes by the name 'banker' should find it laughable that an industry that creates a problem should have to pay to sort it out.....

If it’s not constantly berating and bullying teachers they seem to then get bored and move on to laughing at peoples posts to try to provoke a response. Not very grown up. The packaging issue is a really important one that needs to be dealt with as nobody deliberately buys over packaged food. It’s hard to avoid nit buying it in many situations so the manufacturer should pay. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manxieover65 said:

Those who are currently recycling will Continue to do so regardless and those who feel forced might just try . But I won't whilst I'm being forced 

so in short, you didn't recycle before when you weren't being forced ,and you won't try now because you're being forced ??

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WTF said:

so in short, you didn't recycle before when you weren't being forced ,and you won't try now because you're being forced ??

Have you got any actual data to verify that Manx residents recycling is in any way beneficial to the environment, either locally or globally?

Edited by Asthehills

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Have you got any actual data to verify that Manx residents recycling is in any way beneficial to the environment, either locally or globally?

no, recycling for the most part obviously isn't due to all the extra  mileage involved etc etc, but if you are a green greeny and select one specific point ignoring the before and after then it can sound good, just like electric cars.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

no, recycling for the most part obviously isn't due to all the extra  mileage involved etc etc, but if you are a green greeny and select one specific point ignoring the before and after then it can sound good, just like electric cars.

There is little extra mileage in shipping recycling to England, as the boat is sailing anyway.  Once there, it is no different to recycling produced in England.  Shipping more on the IOM to UK sailings actually reduces the carbon footprint overall, you would think.  

Recycling, I would hope, also reduces the need to extract and process finite resources.  I have no data, but instinctively, it makes sense to recycle things rather than produce new.  However, if someone has data that proves that recycling is actually less environmentally friendly than always consuming new, I would be swayed. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There is little extra mileage in shipping recycling to England, as the boat is sailing anyway.  Once there, it is no different to recycling produced in England.  Shipping more on the IOM to UK sailings actually reduces the carbon footprint overall, you would think.  

Recycling, I would hope, also reduces the need to extract and process finite resources.  I have no data, but instinctively, it makes sense to recycle things rather than produce new.  However, if someone has data that proves that recycling is actually less environmentally friendly than always consuming new, I would be swayed. 

Name a product, and we can have a look.

There are significant overheads involved in recycling paper or aluminium even before the transport is taken into account.

• Like 1