More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Lots of loose bags out tonight. The seagulls and the r**ts are licking their lips. Been more sensible to do a weekly just before Christmas. Expect more litter all round this week and no wind to help disperse it. 

A lot of Christmas rubbish is packaging and wrapping paper, which is clean and dry and can be kept indoors or on the boot of the car.  It can also be folded down to take up very little space.

There might be some exceptions, but the majority of people with extra rubbish this week could have easily managed it without leaving it outside to spread around the neighbourhood.

I don’t agree with the policy and wouldn’t have introduced it.  I don’t think recycling on island is really beneficial.  I also don’t think it’s a big deal for the majority of people to go two weeks between bin collections, you just have to use your brain a little bit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Name a product, and we can have a look.

There are significant overheads involved in recycling paper or aluminium even before the transport is taken into account.

You would have to compare the entire recycling cost as against the entire cost of extraction  processing and manufacture. 

You also have to factor in the finite resource aspect.  Paper and cardboard are from renewable sources, but even that is coming under pressure for clearance for agriculture and mining. 

• Like 1

obvious example is it seems to be cheaper to package milk in cardboard than to re-use / recycle glass bottles, same for even things that come in glass bottles like beer,,  in my view it must be better to use glass bottles over and over than use new ones all the time, when collecting and washing is more expensive than creating new ones you do wonder why.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

obvious example is it seems to be cheaper to package milk in cardboard than to re-use / recycle glass bottles, same for even things that come in glass bottles like beer,,  in my view it must be better to use glass bottles over and over than use new ones all the time, when collecting and washing is more expensive than creating new ones you do wonder why.

That is a very good point.  The move to cardboard for milk probably came from the producers who didn't want the additional cost of washing and sterilising bottles and saw a way of saving in cost without affecting the price or, more accurately, their margin.  Wasn't the price of milk regulated at one time? 

Edited by Gladys

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is a very good point.  The move to cardboard for milk probably came from the producers who didn't want the additional cost of washing and sterilising bottles and saw a way of saving in cost without affecting the price or, more accurately, their margin.  Wasn't the price of milk regulated at one time? 

I don't think they're made from cardboard, weren't they making a big song and dance about them being plant based?

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

I don't think they're made from cardboard, weren't they making a big song and dance about them being plant based?

reminds me of school woodwork class all those years ago when one lad  couldn't plane wood to thickness and kept going back for more and the teacher obviously thinking of waste/cost  loudly shouted that wood didn't grow on trees , oh how we laughed.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The move to cardboard for milk probably came from the producers who didn't want the additional cost of washing and sterilising bottles and saw a way of saving in cost without affecting the price or, more accurately, their margin.

I don’t know, of course: but I’d give good odds that there is some kind of legal/health and safety/food standards regulation, introduced by government since “the good old days” of washing bottles, which stops it being viable now…anyone know?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

IOM Creameries say their cartons are all plant based, so some form of cardboard you would think.  Point is there is no plastic,  even the lid is plant based.  But, they are not generally recycled, they have to go back to the Creamery. 

23 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As an aside do you think anyone goes into a supermarket and says” I bought this bag for life. and it has split. Please give me a free replacement “

Be interesting to know

Yep, done that in M&S. Got a new one, no problem. 

16 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Why?  Will DBC not accept them?

They have some special coating on them that means they have to go through a separate process first (that only the creamery can do) to sanitize them so it costs to much to recycle them. Remember DBC are only pretending to recycle. They only accept the bare minimum of items that other recyclers accept because all they’re interested in doing is flogging it for cash to the highest bidder having collected it in the cheapest and easiest way possible. 

Edited by Steady Eddie