More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

That is the old leaflet.  As I said, their website is crap.

The basking shark leaflet is to do with the DBC fortnightly collections and they have been accepting type 5 for quite some time before.  The fact is, DBC collect the same recycling the same as anyone else on the island, not the bare minimum as you stated.

Viewing this as I am from afar, how is it possible that DBC could plan, prepare for and implement something as apparently controversial as a switch to a fortnightly waste and recycling collection... without ensuring that the relevant information about what is and is not recyclable is up to date on their website?

That seems grossly inept and incompetent to me.  They should employ highly paid officers to ensure that information posted on their website about the services they provide is always up to date.  I'd have thought they already employed such people.  Am I mistaken?

It's also inexcusable that other information contained on the "basking shark" leaflet apparently contradicts what should be identical information on the website.

==========================================================

Although I don't understand the apparent hostility to fortnightly collections in principle (we've dealt with them for over ten years with absolutely no problems) I do appreciate that residents need to be provided with a system that has been thought through and which works.  And in my experience that means (1) providing two wheelie bins of an appropriate size to take two weeks worth waste in one bin and two weeks worth recycling in the other, and (2) introducing a weekly food waste collection. 

If the council can't do that, fortnightly collections won't work.

And if the council is not in a position to implement weekly food waste collection, then they aren't in a position to implement fortnightly waste collections either.

What residents in blocks of flats and other multi-occupancy buildings are meant to do if they literally have nowhere to store their wheelie bins etc, I don't know.  But I would suggest that that is a problem for the council to solve and not those individual residents.

As I've posted previously, I'm not some raving green environmentalist fanatic set upon saving the planet (I'm not terribly bothered as I think we missed that bus a few decades ago... ) but it just seems intuitively obvious to me that it must be better to recycle as many things as can be recycled rather starting form new each time.

(But if somebody could persuade me that recycling etc was not more efficient in the long term, I'm more than happy to be persuaded.)

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If I make the effort to be somewhat more environmentally virtuous and do the right thing by the planet by increasing the amount that I recycle, thus reducing the amount of collectable, incinerable waste I produce - will my annual Rates bill be reviewed down accordingly?

No.  Because if you don't do it I suspect your rates will go up.  I know that if we hadn't switched to fortnightly collections our council tax would have gone up...

(Funnily enough, since we went to a fortnightly collection the service has generally been much improved.  But our council had the foresight to introduce it properly.  Big wheelie bins and weekly food waste collection.)

23 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

No.  Because if you don't do it I suspect your rates will go up.  I know that if we hadn't switched to fortnightly collections our council tax would have gone up...

(Funnily enough, since we went to a fortnightly collection the service has generally been much improved.  But our council had the foresight to introduce it properly.  Big wheelie bins and weekly food waste collection.)

What is done with food waste?

Absolutely agree on the need for proper bins.  Experienced the move to recycling collections well over 20 years ago and we were given 2 wheelie bins, a green one for recycling (except glass) and a black bin for everything else.  At that time, food waste was not recycled. 

I just don't get the obstinacy and petulance, really.  Try to make it work and if it doesn't it then becomes DBC's problem to put right. 

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

I live in Braddan tell me more

I explained higher up in this thread. It was a leaflet distributed by DBC during the summer with a pic of a basking shark on the front.  It explained the fortnightly collections and what can be recycled and gave a QR to scan for a timetable of collections.

The DBC website is not very informative and is actually a very difficult website to find anything.  But it does refer you to the website linked above which has better info.  

@Gladys - I understand our food waste goes here:  Food Waste Recycling | Market Leaders in Food Recycling (biogen.co.uk)

What the IoM would do with it I don't know.  But if DBC and other councils on the island aren't in a position to process food waste appropriately, then I'd argue they aren't really in a position to introduce fortnightly waste collections either.

Actually - to be totally honest - me and my wife could probably get away with no separate weekly food waste collection. 

We used to be quite wasteful of food but we now take some pride in managing it very closely*.  Most of our food waste is tea bags.  The rest is peelings etc from fruit and vegetables.  We aren't vegetarian but we eat very little meat and throw none of that away.  We could probably cope with tipping our food waste in the general waste bin and getting it collected once a fortnight.  But I fully understand that most households would need to have a weekly food waste collection if general waste and recycling went fortnightly.

When we had fortnightly collections introduced I was very much opposed to it and said it would never work and we'd be overrun by rats and foxes.

I was totally wrong...

*And we manage our general waste and recycling much more closely too.  Less general waste and more recycling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

No.  Because if you don't do it I suspect your rates will go up.  I know that if we hadn't switched to fortnightly collections our council tax would have gone up.

I suspect that the refuse component of Rates will continue go up even if everybody hit 50% recycling because the reduced volume going through the incinerator would result in increased gate fees in order for the operator to maintain their return.

They have everybody by the short, curly ones which is making whatever efforts people wish to make in respect of reducing  re-using and recycling, other than morally, a futile exercise in trying to reduce their own costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

@Gladys - I understand our food waste goes here:  Food Waste Recycling | Market Leaders in Food Recycling (biogen.co.uk)

What the IoM would do with it I don't know.  But if DBC and other councils on the island aren't in a position to process food waste appropriately, then I'd argue they aren't really in a position to introduce fortnightly waste collections either.

Actually - to be totally honest - me and my wife could probably get away with no separate weekly food waste collection. 

We used to be quite wasteful of food but we now take some pride in managing it very closely*.  Most of our food waste is tea bags.  The rest is peelings etc from fruit and vegetables.  We aren't vegetarian but we eat very little meat and throw none of that away.  We could probably cope with tipping our food waste in the general waste bin and getting it collected once a fortnight.  But I fully understand that most households would need to have a weekly food waste collection if general waste and recycling went fortnightly.

When we had fortnightly collections introduced I was very much opposed to it and said it would never work and we'd be overrun by rats and foxes.

I was totally wrong...

*And we manage our general waste and recycling much more closely too.  Less general waste and more recycling.

Thanks.  Interesting that food waste is capable of being converted to something useful. 

Like you, I have little food waste.  Raw vegetable matter goes in the compost bin, including teabags, and I throw very little cooked food away, either the dogs get it (proper leftovers) or I freeze it for a quick lunch during the working week.

Like you, I am not an obsessed greenie, but I do hate waste and always have.  

It really is not that difficult to apply a little thought to waste management, and probably a lot easier than obstinately refusing to change your habits. Currently, I have one of those cheap plastic sets of drawers in a corner in the kitchen.  Four drawers: one for soft plastic and milk cartons which go to Tesco; one for card and paper; one for hard plastics (types 1, 2 & 5 🤭); and one for cans.  They get emptied into the boxes outside. It would be much easier just to put the recycling directly into a wheelie bin, but that would involve a sorting process after collection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NoTailT said:

This thread has become so fucking daft and boring now.

People are literally arguing over plastic.

The only plastic I argue about is when Mrs NoTailT uses the credit card.

Again my children are being brought up currently with bags of rubbish around the house as i have a full bin . I've a lot of children and they won't give me a second as I won't comply with their dictatorship of recycling . My life is already full working and looking after my children . So do not tell me its just a bit of plastic 

3 hours ago, Manxieover65 said:

Again my children are being brought up currently with bags of rubbish around the house as i have a full bin . I've a lot of children and they won't give me a second as I won't comply with their dictatorship of recycling . My life is already full working and looking after my children . So do not tell me its just a bit of plastic 

I always thought you were over 65!  You have chosen not to comply and make use of the recycling collection offered, so the problem of rubbish is really yours to solve. 

• Like 3