More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It may well be a "tax"...but part of it is levied on the basis of the provision of services, one of which is the weekly collection of refuse. If DBC take it upon themselves to halve that number of collections whilst still levying the same charges, it may be open to challenge by somebody with the clout and the means. If they win there will be more egg on DBC faces and the potential for rebates to be issued.

If this change had been kept above board it would have been announced before the beginning of the financial year in April and Rates Demands then calculated accordingly before issue.

As it is, it now looks like an underhand little earner for DBC.

Weird. Your argument seems to be that all income and expenditure must be calculated before DBC issue its rates demand. Then if they find a saving opportunity it is "underhand" to make that saving.

That road leads to the Sloc.

Anyway the debate seems to be about the delivery of the service not the cost of that service.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Weird. Your argument seems to be that all income and expenditure must be calculated before DBC issue its rates demand. Then if they find a saving opportunity it is "underhand" to make that saving.

DBC should be financially sound and issue rates bills that reflect savings they've made in the year building up to that bill.

In this case they claim they issued a rates bill, but said the bin collection changes were cost neutral.

The rates still increased this year, because of inflation and other reasons.

What they really need to do is a clear out of all the overpaid managers, secretaries - and restructure the whole lot. But they're too frightened to tackle that. The manx govt and most local authorities are notoriously (and demonstrably) really bad at tackling inefficient, uneconomic and ineffective practices. Basically the system is designed (and has evolved) to protect everyone there - imcompetent or not - if you're shit, you just get moved sideways, not out.

We need competent outsiders to restructure the lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

DBC should be financially sound and issue rates bills that reflect savings they've made in the year building up to that bill.

In this case they claim they issued a rates bill, but said the bin collection changes were cost neutral.

The rates still increased this year, because of inflation and other reasons.

What they really need to do is a clear out of all the overpaid managers, secretaries - and restructure the whole lot. But they're too frightened to tackle that. The manx govt and most local authorities are notoriously (and demonstrably) really bad at tackling inefficient, uneconomic and ineffective practices. Basically the system is designed (and has evolved) to protect everyone there - imcompetent or not - if you're shit, you just get moved sideways, not out.

We need competent outsiders to restructure the lot.

Another thing they need to review is why are local authorities operating enterprises like golf courses, they should be sold or put out to tender & let the tenants pay for the upkeep rather than ratepayers.

Ramsey also bought the old courthouse , Braddan have built the massive new centre which will be competing with NSC & renting out units for cafes, nurseries etc how is this good use of ratepayers money?

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

A bit like reposting the Michelle Mone stuff in my view. Nobody causing grief about that.

But I'm heeding the warning and conscious not to be a critic of DBC.

What has been reported about Mone has been from the established press who will have due regard to what they can and cannot report, and how to report.  You cannot compare that with reproducing allegations that haven't been properly vetted.  

There is a difference between a (no matter how) strongly held belief or opinion and the truth. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kid said:

Have lived in Kirk Michael for 25 years and we have had our bin emptied every two weeks during that time with no difficulties, get used to it!

Yeah, but you have to kill your own food and grow your own veg up there...and no packaging 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Well, they've made a start on the savings. They've relieved a street full of Councillors of their hanging baskets....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Ex councillors I'm sure John said, thank ye very much!

Can’t be bothered tracing back to see what I said verbatim. I’m sure at least one is a councillor still, but no longer resident there. I think it was former residents who had been councillors, mayors, mayoresses, etc.  I meant to post. 

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Can’t be bothered tracing back to see what I said verbatim. I’m sure at least one is a councillor still, but no longer resident there. I think it was former residents who had been councillors, mayors, mayoresses, etc.  I meant to post. 

Sorry yes I'm sure that's what you said.

Historical people involved with the council but no longer are.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Sorry yes I'm sure that's what you said.

Historical people involved with the council but no longer are.

One long term Princes Street resident was councillor and Mayor whilst living there. Now a resident elsewhere - but still a councillor.