More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

The impression given by their press release was that it will be an internal investigation so possibly a waste of time. Only independent external investigations cut it with corruption allegations.

On another note, the MR report is the usual verbatim recitation of aPR release. Oh for some actual journalism …

1 minute ago, Mysteron said:

If corruption is evident, I'd have thought that is a matter for the police to investigate.  The proceeds of any alleged corruption would then surely constitute money laundering, also a matter for police.  

Gef have done a proper write-up which is really clear Gef understand that the matter has not, at this time, be referred to the police.

https://gef.im/2023/01/04/council-investigating-corruption-allegations/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Depends if there’s any actual evidence if wrongdoing, if it’s just some failure who’s facing criminal investigation who’s made unfounded allegations then I don’t see why major expenses should be incurred 

Allegations have been made, it doesn’t matter as to source of these allegations, either way it should be investigated and investigated properly, independently and with good faith and open minded, not swept under a carpet, as it could offend, embarrass or even implicate anyone, resulting in possible disciplinary action. Incidentally, a ‘failure’ facing criminal investigation or potential trial is entitled to be treated fairly, and if they have made allegations, their allegations should be treated with respect, and not treated with disdain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Incidentally, a ‘failure’ facing criminal investigation or potential trial is entitled to be treated fairly, and if they have made allegations, their allegations should be treated with respect, and not treated with disdain. 

Echoes ….

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-rubbishes-lewins-claims/

• Like 1

Deleted the original post as I couldn't get the link to work. But it was a tweet that states there is actually no offence of Misconduct in Public Office on the Isle of Man. 

Unrelated to this case, I suspect it's how so many alleged outrageous machiavellian behaviours have been able to fly in the public sector. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Deleted the original post as I couldn't get the link to work. But it was a tweet that states there is actually no offence of Misconduct in Public Office on the Isle of Man. 

I too don't think that offence exists yet on the island...but depending on the type of any wrongdoing, a lot of other offences in law would surely still apply?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Apple said:

Government Omsbudsman to investigate maybe ? She is one busy lady.

They'll just say it's a matter for DBC to investigate. They won't want to get their hands dirty. 

Local Authorities are useful for MHKs to offload politically inconvenient stuff to. Phil Gawne loved offloading DOI stuff to them all.

While I would not like to comment on these latest allegations, the idea that certain people are fortunate enough to get the nod when an investment opportunity presents itself is certainly nothing new. People involved in renovations already know it goes on.

• Thanks 1