More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

8 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Why?

Because the spirit of the forum is debate: arguments pitched against their arguments. It's the crucible of rational thought. Controversy is pitched against contemporary until the personal investment is burned away and the truths are revealed.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's massively weird how some people seem to be in competition with each other by beating/betting other forum users.

What do you win, Internet points or something? 

No - your arguments prevail upon their merits, and your opponents have nothing left by way of respectable counters.

1 minute ago, Viddy well said:

Because the spirit of the forum is debate: arguments pitched against their arguments. It's the crucible of rational thought. Controversy is pitched against contemporary until the personal investment is burned away and the truths are revealed.

Oh, the irony!

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Oh, the irony!

Indeed. 

I offer this not as an ad hominem but rather simply as raw disappointment. I long respected you as an impartial and balanced observer of forum affairs. We disagreed on specifics but that's to be expected.

Now it is clear to me that you see yourself as an influencer, and a somewhat inadequate one at that when your impartiality is called out, you can't give anything other than mystical one-liners.

You've been a sheep once, so the natural inclination is to assume you've been conditioned.

Pithy mystical responses aside, let's see what you're really made of: your actions in the past were to conform and be a good little doggy despite the difficulties on recycling and do as you were told and you learned to love it.

Why do you think that should translate to the Manx public? Is it a case of you-had-to-do-it-as-a-little-girl-so-now-everyone-else-should-have-to-do-it? Aka - domineering mother syndrome?

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

Indeed. 

I offer this not as an ad hominem but rather simply as raw disappointment. I long respected you as an impartial and balanced observer of forum affairs. We disagreed on specifics but that's to be expected.

Now it is clear to me that you see yourself as an influencer, and a somewhat inadequate one at that when your impartiality is called out, you can't give anything other than mystical one-liners.

You've been a sheep once, so the natural inclination is to assume you've been conditioned.

Pithy mystical responses aside, let's see what you're really made of: your actions in the past were to conform and be a good little doggy despite the difficulties on recycling and do as you were told and you learned to love it.

Why do you think that should translate to the Manx public? Is it a case of you-had-to-do-it-as-a-little-girl-so-now-everyone-else-should-have-to-do-it? Aka - domineering mother syndrome?

Oooh...there goes a control freak.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Viddy well said:

I offer this not as an ad hominem but rather simply as raw disappointment.

Gladys is a big girl and can fight her own fights - but that statement is disingenuous at best, since the remainder of your post develops an ad hominem argument, ending with a paragraph which is positively tabloid in nature.   The intellectual tone you’ve been developing for a page or so seems to have become unsettlingly personal.

• Thanks 1

Gladys is a big girl and can fight her own fights - but that statement is disingenuous at best, since the remainder of your post develops an ad hominem argument, ending with a paragraph which is positively tabloid in nature.   The intellectual tone you’ve been developing for a page or so seems to have become unsettlingly personal.

Ah my goodness I think you're right - how disingenuous of me. Genuinely.  Thank you for intervening on behalf of big-girl Gladys.

Will you let me try again? Will you forgive my misstep and try again to make my point? Do I have your countenance to try and state my point again?

Edited by Viddy well

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Oooh...there goes a control freak.

Says the great white hope of MF.

For Goodness' sake, stop trying to be loved by the old boys.

Stand up for justice, openness and honesty. God knows there's never been a greater demand for it! "Let your 'yes' mean and 'yes' your 'no' mean 'no!" Cast aside those tepid tendencies of the Laodicia!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Viddy well said:

Says the great white hope of MF.

For Goodness' sake, stop trying to be loved by the old boys.

Stand up for justice, openness and honesty. God knows there's never been a greater demand for it! "Let your 'yes' mean and 'yes' your 'no' mean 'no!" Cast aside those tepid tendencies of the Laodicia!

😀 You've obviously not searched my posts...give it a try.

Try Borough council or govt for starters.

10 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Fair enough...

quote-a-good-man-always-knows-his-limitations-clint-eastwood-63-95-60.jpg

Done - it's a decent legacy.

I genuinely think you will will be a force for good . You're clearly you're your own man in the DBC debate despite other pressures. 

Edit: I do actually trust you to be a moderator. For what it's worth, I can't say that of Amadeus or John Wright. I think that you've navigated the pros and cons pretty well. We'll clash lances in the future but in the meantime, I think you've fitted in well as a moderator.

Edited by Viddy well
  • Like 1