More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

n all seriousness though the current incarnation of Douglas Borough Council/Douglas Corporation/City Council is the most morally bankrupt and heinous that I can remember in at least 40 years. 

Has the reduction in the number of councillors before the last elections created the space for this to advance then as it has? I can't imagine David Christian tolerating anything like the circumstances that seem to have come about recently. He may not have been everyone's cup of tea but his heart was pure Douglas from what I saw.

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

All that remains is to see if it is a wretched hive of scum and villainy as suggested by the claims from Mr Scales. 

Do we know when the investigations will be complete?

There’s a council meeting on Tuesday. You can likely guess that nothing in relation to this will be announced then or subsequently. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Elected with or without votes, they are still elected - that's the law. That's the fault of voters for not turning out, plus how many budding politicians is all this vitriol likely to put off standing next time (a good few is my guess). 

With the very high level of apathy without uncontested election institutions like DBC could end up with not enough folks to run them.

However the fact remains those who get in on nil points do not have a popular mandate.

As to the vitriol it's part of politics. As someone on MF once said:

"If you want pink fluffy bunny talk go and work in a kindergarten..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

With the very high level of apathy without uncontested election institutions like DBC could end up with not enough folks to run them.

However the fact remains those who get in on nil points do not have a popular mandate.

As to the vitriol it's part of politics. As someone on MF once said:

"If you want pink fluffy bunny talk go and work in a kindergarten..."

And what is the result of not having a popular mandate mean?  They cannot vote for or against certain motions before them? It is a meaningless observation really.  

The only instance that it would have any meaning is if there was provision for each Councillor to have the same number of votes on matters before the council as votes they polled in the election. 

As much as I'm against fortnightly collections, and for all the moaning we do, we are doing our best to bide by the rules. It is now up to the council to up their game and standards, rather than "truck's full, we'll come back in three days (!!!)" and all that.

Just as an aside. We have had two bins for a while, but have lately been using just one, as per the new rules. To be honest, kind of works, what with trying to recycle much more than before. Over Christmas, we were allowed to leave extra bags next to the bin, and they would also be collected. For health and safety reasons, in our wisdom, we thought it would be better to put both bins out, rather than leave loose bin bags all over the place. Lo and behold, they only emptied one of the bins. Obviously, should have left four extra bin bags in the middle of the back lane, rather than being a conscientous asshole!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, majkul said:

As much as I'm against fortnightly collections, and for all the moaning we do, we are doing our best to bide by the rules. It is now up to the council to up their game and standards, rather than "truck's full, we'll come back in three days (!!!)" and all that.

Just as an aside. We have had two bins for a while, but have lately been using just one, as per the new rules. To be honest, kind of works, what with trying to recycle much more than before. Over Christmas, we were allowed to leave extra bags next to the bin, and they would also be collected. For health and safety reasons, in our wisdom, we thought it would be better to put both bins out, rather than leave loose bin bags all over the place. Lo and behold, they only emptied one of the bins. Obviously, should have left four extra bin bags in the middle of the back lane, rather than being a conscientous asshole!

Not collecting a full bin when they said they would take side waste is plain silly.  This is why people need to explain their issues, because it is all in the implementation.  

My issue remains the rotten recycling receptacles.  You can't leave them out because the shower cap tops leak and the paper and cardboard will get wet.  Have raised this with them, so will see how they address it. 

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

My issue remains the rotten recycling receptacles.  You can't leave them out because the shower cap tops leak and the paper and cardboard will get wet.  Have raised this with them, so will see how they address it. 

they are going to build a HUGE canopy over douglas like the milenium dome so the rain can't get the recycling wet , it's the cheapest option apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The recycling boxes are rubbish. The braddan ones are better on a trolley with proper lids.   The lack of collection of food waste weekly is going to cause a problem in the summer.   

also, I think someone independent needs to look at waste and recycling across the island holistically.  There may be times when it’s just too expensive to recycle by sending across and then the incinerator needs to crank up.  Similar as was done with the Meat plant, how much is all this costing us?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

The recycling boxes are rubbish. The braddan ones are better on a trolley with proper lids.   The lack of collection of food waste weekly is going to cause a problem in the summer.   

also, I think someone independent needs to look at waste and recycling across the island holistically.  There may be times when it’s just too expensive to recycle by sending across and then the incinerator needs to crank up.  Similar as was done with the Meat plant, how much is all this costing us?  

When fortnightly collections with recycling was implemented where I lived, there was no food waste recycling or separate collection and it wasn't an issue really.  That was for a family of four including one child in nappies. 

I agree with your comments on the boxes, and a holistic approach needs to be taken across the whole island.  The entire arrangement should be reviewed including the incinerator and the cost benefit of shipping recycling across.  Presumably it is sold, but who knows whether the income covers the costs? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

There's a reason food waste in the UK is collected weekly. But apparently DBC know better.

Some things are considered "strategic".  Which invariably means they cost more than they should...

13 hours ago, Omobono said:

just wondered where civic duty has gone ? Douglas lifeboat annual Sir William Hillary service in St Georges church this afternoon only the   Lt Governor   , Mayor  and her assistant there , no one else from the city fathers , 

House of keys and Leg co did a little better with representatives  from Castletown, Ayre,  and one from the legislative  council  No Douglas representatives present ,  same  situation  with armistice Sunday , 

these community events were always well supported  by our elected representatives , sad state of affairs still I guess some of the City fathers haven't been here   long enough to understand the importance to the community of the RNLI  and its founding father Sir William Hillary , 

I can't understand why at least one MHK each from Peel, Ramsey, Port Erin and Douglas didn't attend as a mark of respect for the people who work in the fishing industry and man the lifeboats in their constituencies. After all, these four towns* are where our working ports are located. Poor show.

I'll be asking my Peel MHKs when I see them what was so damn important that they couldn't spare an hour or so to attend. As far as I can tell, they certainly weren't neck-deep in any governmental or constituency concerns.

*I didn't name Castletown as one of their MHKs did attend.

Edited by Zarley
Clarity
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

just wondered where civic duty has gone ? Douglas lifeboat annual Sir William Hillary service in St Georges church this afternoon only the   Lt Governor   , Mayor  and her assistant there , no one else from the city fathers , 

House of keys and Leg co did a little better with representatives  from Castletown, Ayre,  and one from the legislative  council  No Douglas representatives present ,  same  situation  with armistice Sunday , 

these community events were always well supported  by our elected representatives , sad state of affairs still I guess some of the City fathers haven't been here   long enough to understand the importance to the community of the RNLI  and its founding father Sir William Hillary , 

Don’t know about the others but I’ve literally done a video about the lifeboats recently with the aim of promoting the island and the organisation.

I received the invite for the service and saw the Mayor was attending so I chose not to as she represents the organisation already and I’m not a fan of churches. 

Oh and one of the councillors is literally the station manager.