More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Now because of the shit, non-standard lighting chosen by Douglas Borough Council the lights won't be working for a good while. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-prom-lights-knocked-out-by-lightning/

And when fixed, then they'll be knocked out again by the next lightning strike?

Aren't the real questions, why were they knocked out? ...did the contractor not put in adequate protection? ...will it happen again?

Stick a lot of 10 metre metal poles in the ground and ask any Ballakermeen year one physics student what's likely to happen in a storm!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And when fixed, then they'll be knocked out again by the next lightning strike?

Aren't the real questions, why were they knocked out? ...did the contractor not put in adequate protection? ...will it happen again?

Stick a lot of 10 metre metal poles in the ground and ask any Ballakermeen year one physics student what's likely to happen in a storm!

I doubt there's any protection available for a 300 million volt, 30,000 amp charge hitting a lamp standard, Albert. Not really something that can be planned for. 

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Now because of the shit, non-standard lighting chosen by Douglas Borough Council the lights won't be working for a good while. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-prom-lights-knocked-out-by-lightning/

But who would possibly imagine that a tall metal structure would be hit by lightning?

The more I think about it, this makes less sense.  Either God rained down a perfectly-aimed volley of 250 thunderbolts to express His dislike of LED lighting (in which case he's got his work cut out) or the system was so badly designed/installed that a single lightning strike would take out the whole thing.

There really needs to be an investigation as to what happened with the installation of this scheme and how it is designed.  It looks yet again like an unsuitable purchase made by overpaid Council 'experts' who wanted the latest thing.  It would also be interesting to know if there was pressure from the DoI who wanted something to fit in with the Prom scheme.  Though obviously finding something hideous enough to match must have been a challenge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

According to the info I received (literally just asked as we have Council right now) it was a freak lightning strike, they are usually lightning protected, the components were ordered straight away but are hard to source. If anyone here is an electrical engineer and wants more details I’ll be happy to try and obtain them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Amadeus said:

According to the info I received (literally just asked as we have Council right now) it was a freak lightning strike, they are usually lightning protected, the components were ordered straight away but are hard to source. If anyone here is an electrical engineer and wants more details I’ll be happy to try and obtain them. 

Yes please.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There is - and it needn't take out another 249 units.

It's undefendable really.

Not the lights, from lightening, but the fact that this has happened.

I wonder if money was 'saved' by not doing the job properly, and how much it's going to cost.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

The Councils super duper new recycling service has fallen flat on it's arse again. 

I wonder how much the overtime bill is for having to go back and collect it all again? 

They seem to be surprised by Christmas. 

Screenshot_20230110-163927_Facebook.jpg

Nice to see the council not being aware of Xmas,  and kinda reads to me as blaming the unwashed for accumulating to much rubbish.  🙄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Of course it's childish to get all hooked up on one word in a video like this. Next year they will collect garden waste for 11 months and the one remaining month will likely be filled with training plus extra work due to increased Christmas volume. I'm also sure I have mentioned this a few times before already: it's not being reduced by half. It's one week black bin, one week garden waste, plus the recycling. 

If you’re starting in February for 11 months, are you collecting in December then? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But who would possibly imagine that a tall metal structure would be hit by lightning?

The more I think about it, this makes less sense.  Either God rained down a perfectly-aimed volley of 250 thunderbolts to express His dislike of LED lighting (in which case he's got his work cut out) or the system was so badly designed/installed that a single lightning strike would take out the whole thing.

There really needs to be an investigation as to what happened with the installation of this scheme and how it is designed.  It looks yet again like an unsuitable purchase made by overpaid Council 'experts' who wanted the latest thing.  It would also be interesting to know if there was pressure from the DoI who wanted something to fit in with the Prom scheme.  Though obviously finding something hideous enough to match must have been a challenge.

Would the old, now-repurposed festoons have been similarly affected, one wonders..?

• Like 2