More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

There is going to be more than a month for the workers to hang slack if they are collecting up to November and resuming in February.  No wonder the rates are so high if this is the standard of maths the council enjoys.    I would doubt very much if there is much green waste after the end of October I don’t know many gardeners who cut their grass after this as even if it has grown it is usually too wet to cut.   Your defence of this craziness is pathetic and excuses ridiculous.   You have cocked up big time, not perhaps in the idea of encouraging recycling, but of the implementation of the grand plan.   Why don’t you just admit this and retain some respect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

According to the info I received (literally just asked as we have Council right now) it was a freak lightning strike, they are usually lightning protected, the components were ordered straight away but are hard to source. If anyone here is an electrical engineer and wants more details I’ll be happy to try and obtain them. 

How was it a freak lightning strike, did it have three bollock's not withstanding majkul has just lost one. Lightning strikes are perfectly normal or is it the fact that most of the components are abbsolete  because some snake oil sales man sold them a pup. Same as the super duper remote control system that can only be accessed by a firm across the water at an ongoing yearly cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Repurposed my ass, lying in a skip out the back of the service centre. What was reused would of been cheaper to buy new after cost of converting them to LED.

I thought that the claim was that they'd been found a new life around the harbour? 🤔

The things that you can guarantee about any modern electronic kit are that

It looks wonderful in a catalogue,

Will be the best thing since sliced bread in the view of a salesman

Will be fickle and relatively short-lived in use.

Particularly when exposed to the elements such as wind, rain, salt water and, er, lightning.

Just my opinion based on experience.

I'm sure somebody on these boards will be able to go back and research what the GMP were told were going to be all the benefits of this installation. And how many people warned of the pitfalls?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought that the claim was that they'd been found a new life around the harbour? 🤔

The things that you can guarantee about any modern electronic kit are that

It looks wonderful in a catalogue,

Will be the best thing since sliced bread in the view of a salesman

Will be fickle and relatively short-lived in use.

Particularly when exposed to the elements such as wind, rain, salt water and, er, lightning.

Just my opinion based on experience.

I'm sure somebody on these boards will be able to go back and research what the GMP were told were going to be all the benefits of this installation. And how many people warned of the pitfalls?

Where’s Big Clive, when you need him?

• Like 1

electrical lighting poles can and should be protected  from lightning  strikes , in Europe  and the far east where  electric storms are very common , a  pole  is configured     to cope with a strike  but wiring protected in such a way as not to create a chain reaction  that would   take everything out ,  I wonder if the lighting on the prom and the two properties badly damaged by lightning  were covered by the Corporations insurance , perhaps a statement from Ms Wells would not go amiss or a comment from her press agency , after all the Douglas ratepayers do have a right to know ! 

perhaps lightning should be striking the wheelie bins and bags of litter strewn about the city  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Where’s Big Clive, when you need him?

He was hanging around here nearly a decade ago. In retrospect I like his comment "You even get ones that communicate on a network so they can all fail at once" - although in this case the collective lighting suicide was for probably for another reason.

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57304-new-street-lights/page/3/

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57304-new-street-lights/page/4/

Happy New Year Roxanne we missed you.     If the festoon lights had been struck by lightning the would have been far cheaper to mend than these new ones and I agree with you they were far, far better they were a fantastic sight when you were on the boat arriving in the bay, so welcoming .  Another bad decision by Douglas Council but to be fair it was the last lot under Christian that decided they had to be replaced Raina Chatel was the only one who voted to keep them.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The Councils super duper new recycling service has fallen flat on it's arse again. 

I wonder how much the overtime bill is for having to go back and collect it all again? 

They seem to be surprised by Christmas. 

Screenshot_20230110-163927_Facebook.jpg

Need to have wheelie bins for the recycling and appropriate vehicles to collect it

It must be costing DBC a lot in terms of the lost revenue from all those business's we were told were going to pay to have the lights in their colours as an advertising ploy.................

Never did get back to us with the figures on that one.

• Thanks 1

So it would seem that the lighting columns all succumbed to a chain reaction following the strike, suggesting not one of those poles had any protection, or inadequate protection to say the least. Was protection recommended by the suppliers but rejected on probability and a seen as a saving? Like Oroglas and a sprinkler-system?

It'll be costly...