More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

electrical lighting poles can and should be protected  from lightning  strikes , in Europe  and the far east where  electric storms are very common , a  pole  is configured     to cope with a strike  but wiring protected in such a way as not to create a chain reaction  that would   take everything out ,  I wonder if the lighting on the prom and the two properties badly damaged by lightning  were covered by the Corporations insurance , perhaps a statement from Ms Wells would not go amiss or a comment from her press agency , after all the Douglas ratepayers do have a right to know ! 

perhaps lightning should be striking the wheelie bins and bags of litter strewn about the city  

You know what, I agree. The explanation given was that it hit a particular component that is somehow connected to the other components in a freak lightning strike. I will raise this further with the department in question and the other councillors to get a detailed technical explanation of what exactly was hit and how. Maybe it really was a on me in a million shot maybe it wasn’t. I want to know. 

• Like 5

According to the NPM today, social housing debt/arrears stands at £70,000, of which Cllr Watson says it isn’t a huge issue. 

Im sorry but the arrears should be very small, considering the staff DBC have, and considering that DBC like to boast of their proactive approach. Remember this was the authority that took legal action over a small amount of arrears, whilst he was in prison etc. 

I would also add that to equate the income of the rents received helps to cover mould/black mould and building new homes. Sadly DBC don’t take of their properties, aren’t building enough homes either, yet at the same time are quick to hammer private landlords, for society’s problems. If £70,000 arrears suddenly appeared and their were no arrears, you can be guaranteed that DBC would squander that money and certainly not on building new homes or eradicating mould.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

According to the NPM today, social housing debt/arrears stands at £70,000, of which Cllr Watson says it isn’t a huge issue. 

Im sorry but the arrears should be very small, considering the staff DBC have, and considering that DBC like to boast of their proactive approach. Remember this was the authority that took legal action over a small amount of arrears, whilst he was in prison etc. 

I would also add that to equate the income of the rents received helps to cover mould/black mould and building new homes. Sadly DBC don’t take of their properties, aren’t building enough homes either, yet at the same time are quick to hammer private landlords, for society’s problems. If £70,000 arrears suddenly appeared and their were no arrears, you can be guaranteed that DBC would squander that money and certainly not on building new homes or eradicating mould.

So you want legal action taken against struggling families to evict them? You would be first to complain about that!

Their overall rents must be several £m so £70k probably is modest in overall figures, more useful would be how many tenants & how long outstanding 

Housing Committee member checking in. Have to be careful what data I share publicly but it’s a typical iomtoday clickbait story. The number of tenants in arrears is in the low single digits and we are mostly talking low amounts. I fully agree with the chair that this isn’t a major concern and is being handled very well by the housing team who do all they can to help tenants. There are also numerous reasons why this may occur. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It isn't, £70k is bob-all in the context of the overall budget, and you can't get money out of people who don't have any. In general they'll be repaying the arrears under an agreement.

Social housing providers all have tenants carrying arrears, for the big housing associations across the arrears are in the tens of millions.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Housing Committee member checking in. Have to be careful what data I share publicly but it’s a typical iomtoday clickbait story. The number of tenants in arrears is in the low single digits and we are mostly talking low amounts. I fully agree with the chair that this isn’t a major concern and is being handled very well by the housing team who do all they can to help tenants. There are also numerous reasons why this may occur. 

So if there is no problem and it is all being handled very well why are there currently 8 possession hearings shown in the latest Court listing?

See civil.pdf (courts.im)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You know what, I agree. The explanation given was that it hit a particular component that is somehow connected to the other components in a freak lightning strike. I will raise this further with the department in question and the other councillors to get a detailed technical explanation of what exactly was hit and how. Maybe it really was a on me in a million shot maybe it wasn’t. I want to know. 

I'd have thought that the questions to ask the relevant dept are:

(1)  What made this lightning strike "freak"?

(2)  Was the lighting system protected against the effects of this sort of lightning strike?

(3) If the answer to (2) is "No", why wasn't it protected?

(4)  If the answer to (2) is "Yes", why didn't it work?

I suppose others such as @Albert Tatlock and @mollag might have more questions...

• Like 1