More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

28 minutes ago, WTF said:

no, cos DBC never look at facebook do they ............................................

If they look at FB they’d see 1000 members of a group, with maybe 20 Active posters, as against 30,000 residents who are either happy with the change or who can live with it or who can’t be arsed.

Names won’t necessarily tie in with rate payers or addresses. And solutions will be different for each complainer and type of property.

If you have a problem, make contact.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If they look at FB they’d see 1000 members of a group, with maybe 20 Active posters, as against 30,000 residents who are either happy with the change or who can live with it or who can’t be arsed.

Names won’t necessarily tie in with rate payers or addresses. And solutions will be different for each complainer and type of property.

If you have a problem, make contact.

There is a significant statistical flaw in your argument.

Maybe you should rethink your maths

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

It's all very well complaining on FB, etc. 

Bins are old news now. If you want to be ignored on Facebook, Isle of Man Energy is the place to be. At least Claire Wells and Frank engage; I can only assume Jo Cox has been kidnapped by aliens, along with her entire Marketing & Communications team.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:
19 hours ago, Banker said:

But are they all actually DBC rate payers are just everyone signing it including Mickey Mouse?

No one(or not many) would go to the effort of signing the petition unless they had a view would they?

Well we've had people people leaving impassioned comments on here and then saying they live in Ramsey or not even on the Island.  So the couple of clicks to sign an online petition shouldn't be too demanding an effort. 

I think you underestimate the ability of people to get worked up about stuff that has nothing to do with them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Please set out my error?

You statement misleads. What % of the people that are the bin empties if the household and are active on Facebook and would use a group on Facebook to make a complaint.

Of course we don't the number but it's going to be a lot less than 30,000.

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well we've had people people leaving impassioned comments on here and then saying they live in Ramsey or not even on the Island.  So the couple of clicks to sign an online petition shouldn't be too demanding an effort. 

I think you underestimate the ability of people to get worked up about stuff that has nothing to do with them.

It's a fair point. But I reckon it wouldn't be that many in reality. You could say the same about any petition I guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You statement misleads. What % of the people that are the bin empties if the household and are active on Facebook and would use a group on Facebook to make a complaint.

Is this the missing word round..? 

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Saturday morning  and my recycling bins are still sitting at the entrance to my property , they should have been collected days ago , has the scheme been so successful that the  collection crews have been overwhelmed ? 

I think not  and priority will have been given to emptying  the overloaded refuse bins  and clearing up the mess  from the 2 weekly collection cycle , they even posted on facebook  that my area would be collected the next day 

"has the scheme been so successful that the  collection crews have been overwhelmed ? ".  Well it rather looks like that.  If it was due to the 'normal' rubbish collections being overwhelmed, them then it would be those which the particular bin lorries were failing to finish their rounds on.  Instead it's the recycling ones that are not being completed. 

It's not that recycling collections aren't taking place, it's that they're picking up more than expected.  Presumably they use different vehicles from the general rubbish, so the various types of recycling are kept separate, so it could also be that the space allocation for the different types of recycling are wrong.

It's all very amusing in that it shows those predicting a householders revolt and no increase in recycling were completely wrong and the Council management who re-scheduled the collections were as well.  

(And if your recycling hasn't been collected, do contact the Council directly, as well as complain on the internet).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's a fair point. But I reckon it wouldn't be that many in reality. You could say the same about any petition I guess. 

Indeed you could:

clicktivism
/ˈklɪktɪvɪz(ə)m/

noun

1. the practice of supporting a political or social cause via the internet by means such as social media or online petitions, typically characterized as involving little effort or commitment.
    "look at the people dismissing the petition as clicktivism"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably they use different vehicles from the general rubbish, so the various types of recycling are kept separate

Yes, completely different vehicles, and there's a fairly manual process involved to check that there aren't any of the wrong kinds of plastic in the box. They don't just tip everything in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is this the missing word round..? 

I guess. To be honest @quilp I'm over it. But it tickles me that someone who is sunning themselves in Spain and others on here have cheese in their ears and blindfolds on telling us there is no fuss.

It's a national scandal to some crazy people. I can't believe how angry people are. It doesn't seem to be subsiding to me at the moment. 

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed you could:

clicktivism
/ˈklɪktɪvɪz(ə)m/

noun

1. the practice of supporting a political or social cause via the internet by means such as social media or online petitions, typically characterized as involving little effort or commitment.
    "look at the people dismissing the petition as clicktivism"

Yes. It seems so.

However 1600 signing a petition and 1000 on a Facebook group is statistically significant. 

The fuss is out of proportion I agree. But it exists. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

My statement is numerically correct.

Of course there are huge imponderables, and I’m not presenting it as a controlled, double blind trial.

Several of my non Douglas friends have joined, and one or two posted, the FB group. 

And whilst the Douglas population is around 30,000 and I acknowledge there’ll be juveniles, and people who don’t put stuff in bins or recycling, there are a large number more of businesses also affected.

Having got a bigger bin, and being down, in round terms from 2,000l per month to 800, I’ve found the biggest difference in my behaviour is crushing empty cartons, plastic bottles  and cans.

Its cathartic and therapeutic for the response generated by reading the nonsense about the necessity for weekly collections posted on here.

That being said Im currently in Catalonia. We’ve got sorting bins in the kitchen. Bit waste receptacles on the street and I take a different category of sorted waste out every day. Food and organic waste go to the compost heap. Meat waste goes in the dogs.

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We can have a fairly good idea.  There were 26,677 people living in Douglas in the 2021 Census and they were in 11,806 separate households.  So John's 30,000 is maybe a bit over, but there will also be some people affected such as Douglas business owners, landlords etc who don't live in Douglas.

As for Facebook, about 66% of UK residents use it regularly, and I could see the figure being a bit higher if anything here.