More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Ali Mazzone on the DBC Protest Group this evening:               

"Strangely had a Douglas Corpy Van delivering green waste bins today.

As I already have one, I asked him to remove it.

He was very pleasant about it and said that he seemed to think he had already done the area and that the office may have messed up with the deliveries.

I did ask him about my recycling bins but he said that I needed to contact the office to ask for them, which I have done twice now.!

Happy chap, no wonder as he was delighted to inform me he was being paid double time for his work!"

Edited by Cassie2

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

That does sound heavy handed, he should make a formal complaint to DBC. You do wonder, however,  why he just didn’t pay for a lock and be done with his inconsiderate neighbours.

Or DBC could simply fit all bins with a lock and not only prevent abuse of the system but also stop things like vermin etc as the lid will stay closed even if the wind blows them over. They work off gravity and so only open with a key or are fully inverted (i.e. on the bin wagon being emptied). As an added bonus they make ID theft a bit harder.

Maybe he could buy a shredder instead and remove any identifiable evidence so these numpties can rummage to their hearts content.

Sadly this is a prime example of bureaucracy at its worst. Don't treat the root cause i.e. not enough bins, collections and unsecured bins but hire one investigator, then have to give her a body guard because of her attitude and no doubt pay her sick leave in a week or two when she goes on the sick for stress.

Then hire two more to replace her and another goon...

These are meant to be public servants, paid to provide a service and the ratepayer is their employer.  They would do well to remember this as the budgets are slashed and jobs are on the line.

On the bright side, maybe its time to privatise the service or allow competition, a bit like a reverse of a Tesco or Co-op delivery. Pay a subscription, book a slot for your zone and they come and take it away, bit extra for larger items and maybe a clean every 2-3 months too. Get a rebate from the rates.  Never happen though.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Or DBC could simply fit all bins with a lock and not only prevent abuse of the system but also stop things like vermin etc as the lid will stay closed even if the wind blows them over. They work off gravity and so only open with a key or are fully inverted (i.e. on the bin wagon being emptied). As an added bonus they make ID theft a bit harder.

Maybe he could buy a shredder instead and remove any identifiable evidence so these numpties can rummage to their hearts content.

Sadly this is a prime example of bureaucracy at its worst. Don't treat the root cause i.e. not enough bins, collections and unsecured bins but hire one investigator, then have to give her a body guard because of her attitude and no doubt pay her sick leave in a week or two when she goes on the sick for stress.

Then hire two more to replace her and another goon...

These are meant to be public servants, paid to provide a service and the ratepayer is their employer.  They would do well to remember this as the budgets are slashed and jobs are on the line.

On the bright side, maybe its time to privatise the service or allow competition, a bit like a reverse of a Tesco or Co-op delivery. Pay a subscription, book a slot for your zone and they come and take it away, bit extra for larger items and maybe a clean every 2-3 months too. Get a rebate from the rates.  Never happen though.

Perhaps if enough people engaged with DBC, the provision of locks on bins at no charge  (especially in central Douglas where this seems to an issue) could well  be the solution. 

As for the 'investigator', that really should be raised with DBC as that is not acceptable, if it did happen as reported. 

The problem is entrenchment, on both sides, people become either offensive or defensive, neither of which will lead to a reasonable compromise solution. 

Will say it again, there is no point complaining on SM and expecting your specific issue to be sorted.  Better to raise it directly with DBC.  That way they will be able to identify if there is a common issue in a particular area that needs a solution. 

It's a bit like the poster a couple of weeks ago who would rather be surrounded by recycling in their home then actually raise it with the Council.  If enough people do raise the issues  it is more difficult to ignore, if that is what DBC are doing. 

From my own experience  I cannot complain, the minor issues I raised were dealt with effectively, politely and pleasantly.  But I do not now live in the older areas in central Douglas which have their own issues with design, multiple occupancy,  back yards and inaccessible back lanes.  That area probably does need a different approach.  

• Like 3

As everyone here knows, I am against fortnightly collections. Still, we are adapting, because I cannot see those stubborn incompetents at DBC backing down (raising four kids, you learn to adapt to things very quickly). After a few weeks, you get into a "system", not perfect, but better as you go along, you make it "work". But now, they need to up their game, because the way they are going about things, they are just antagonising those who are REALLY against the situation created by DBC themselves. Forcing people to change, without raising their own standards (not collecting on dates announced by themselves and the like), and no real benefits (are there any, seriously?), is not the way to go about things.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, P.K. said:

DBC needs reminding that if the process fails to meet the requirement then it's the process that needs to change.

Preferably in the right direction...

The silence on all matters concerning DBC appears to be somewhat deafening though. 

• Thanks 1

recycling bins being emptied in central Douglas  today after 4 pm ,    only  5 days late , and most of it blown all over the place after the weekend gales , 

both  services waste  and recycling services   now not fit for purpose !  and when I phoned the town hall  waste and environmental services  this morning  they didn't even know there was a problem ,  question is how out of touch are the councillors  well I am letting you know  the new system isn't working , !

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Did we hear any more on the spoof email scandal?  I find it very hard to believe they have found an email spoofer, it's near impossible if using anonymous spoofing software

Have been sent some info on this suggesting the claims they’re aware of who did it (or even if anyone did) are entirely baseless and, basically, we’re made up by their PR agency who dropped the ball in its dealings with Manx Radio so needed an exit strategy. As such it’s been suggested that they will never be mentioned or referred to again. Need to do some more digging on this yet though. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

My bins haven’t been emptied in Braddan today, can I blame DBC for this as they get blamed for everything else 😂

It was those lazy teachers more like. I hear that in Jersey they make the teachers empty bins on snow days.🤣

• Haha 6