More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So it still begs the question…how much are Douglas Ratepayers paying as their contribution  for the firework display ?

Probably roughly the same as the Menopause training held recently, but well worth it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

£20,000 don't really get you much in the commercial firework display, not even the dud selection box that a lot of family's used to end up with on Guy Fawkes night. All nice and sparkly, no excitement. Think we would be looking at £60-80,000 for nice aerial display that befits a city.  DBC could be 40 to 90% of the cost. Do not expect anybody to come on here waving the receipt. Add  on top £1,000 cost of the men to place/remove equipment and make sure Tarquin do not get hold of one for his back garden display. Whole new meaning of making the the night go with a bang

Does the £20,000 cover the fireworks and display? Does it include the preparatory work and the clean up afterwards. I’m sure Ashies chewing gum machine will be in action. Also who is paying for the police? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was reading today on ITV news website, firework sales have rocketed due to official displayed being cancelled. Manchester City Council cancelled their fireworks display in the city’s parks citing the need to be net zero carbon free by 2038. Seeing as our politicos are ramming climate change down our throats, using Manchester City Council as an example of positive behaviour towards the environment and to the council tax payers, Douglas could follow suit, that’s if it really wishes to be a leader. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you’ve managed to get a second bin it won’t be emptied 

image.thumb.png.2f4e40adf9ba7084209b32c9c9bb08a1.png

Never mind being assessed.  DBC should just provide a larger bin.

Surely anyone currently requesting a larger bin has already assessed their situation...irrespective of what some DBC mandarin may determine.

Too late to do it this year, but one of my neighbours plans to put household rubbish in his green bin next year, and top it up with garden waste.  Win win they said.  It could catch on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

If DBC follow what some UK councils are doing then there will soon be an additional annual charge if you want your green bin emptied.

A member of my family has to pay an extra £40 per year to get it emptied in their area, it used to be included in their version of rates.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you’ve managed to get a second bin it won’t be emptied 

How may households actually even have a second bin? I don't believe I've ever seen a house with two outside on collection day (although admittedly I've never really paid much attention) so I can't imagine it's many. In which case, there will be next to no "saving" from not collecting them, and for the tiny minority who did have two their collection volume has just been quartered rather than halved.

1490c345036a6ec7a77d6755d2e24e8b.jpeg

1 hour ago, yorik said:

(No, it's not fucking City Hall)

Fun fact: according to Mr Wiki, only six places in England call their civic HQ 'City Hall' (there are another three which are mainly events venues).  Most of those six are 20/21 Century buildings and may have been called that to avoid confusion with an older Town Hall.  Even cities rather bigger than Douglas, such as Birmingham or Manchester call their often magnificent buildings 'Town Hall', though some older buildings may be called the Guildhall or Council House instead. 

So for Douglas to start calling their's 'City Hall' would be a little presumptuous.  Still as they top the league for the most overweight bureaucracy, that won't stop them.  Expect the announcement of Douglas Megalopolis Hall any day now. 

• Haha 4

Just a though, now they are calling themselves Douglas  City Council. Have they lost the borough of Douglas Corporation charter and therfore the legal right to raise money through rates. So now have to rely on hand outs from central government. I am afraid if this has happened now that Douglas has City status, I would be releasing small amount of wee as the the mirth overtakes me. 

• Haha 2