More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, FANDL said:

He is likely correct but it would seem that the issue is still not going away and that the ratepayers aren’t going to let them off the hook. The online petition is still circulating and it seems full of genuine Douglas ratepayers who don’t support the changes at all. 

How do you know they’re genuine Douglas ratepayers? I would doubt that very much & if they’re not verified it’s not much use

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes me too. Only issue I've had is the small cost of a lock to stop other residents around filling my bin when they have filled theres .

Out of interest how much was the lock?  It seems that there are fixes but people are unwilling to take them.  Much of the discontent seems to arise from the behaviour of other people. I do have concerns about central Victorian Douglas, but if the fix in these areas is a lock, then it will plainly reveal those who really aren't doing their bit. 

It isn’t a huge change in habit, just like many other things that involve a change, but if you stubbornly refuse, then it will never improve for you. 

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Out of interest how much was the lock?  It seems that there are fixes but people are unwilling to take them.  Much of the discontent seems to arise from the behaviour of other people. I do have concerns about central Victorian Douglas, but if the fix in these areas is a lock, then it will plainly reveal those who really aren't doing their bit. 

It isn’t a huge change in habit, just like many other things that involve a change, but if you stubbornly refuse, then it will never improve for you. 

but if you lock bins that have genuine spare capacity what are people going to do with their excess rubbish if they can't find a home for it like they've done for years ?

if you have nappies ( adult or baby ) a bi-weekly bin collection is hardly likely to be of any use.

Edited by WTF
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

but if you lock bins that have genuine spare capacity what are people going to do with their excess rubbish if they can't find a home for it like they've done for years ?

if you have nappies ( adult or baby ) a bi-weekly bin collection is hardly likely to be of any use.

But you then contact DBC to explain your issues.  You also recycle to reduce the recyclable waste in your bin. Why should you think that it is OK to load up other people's bins if you haven't done those two things? 

I was having this conversation with a councillor recently and they really do truly believe they're right and that everyone complaining is either a) just one of those whingers or b) just not trying hard enough. It doesn't seem to enter their minds that it isn't just people with overflowing bins that are against it.

As others have said, I get on with it, just as I did in the UK when collections went fortnightly. It was disgusting in summer, truly disgusting, and it will be just as disgusting here. My bin is never overflowing; my recycling boxes are, but not my bin.

I don't think DBC will back down so I'm not bothering to complain more, it's all a bit "old man shouts at clouds". The councillor seemed to think this means I'm supportive 

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

Use the bins on the corner of the street. They get emptied every day. Jammy bar stewards 

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I was having this conversation with a councillor recently and they really do truly believe they're right and that everyone complaining is either a) just one of those whingers or b) just not trying hard enough. It doesn't seem to enter their minds that it isn't just people with overflowing bins that are against it.

As others have said, I get on with it, just as I did in the UK when collections went fortnightly. It was disgusting in summer, truly disgusting, and it will be just as disgusting here. My bin is never overflowing; my recycling boxes are, but not my bin.

I don't think DBC will back down so I'm not bothering to complain more, it's all a bit "old man shouts at clouds". The councillor seemed to think this means I'm supportive 

Have you directly complained to DBC about your issues? 

On 1/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, quilp said:

Is this the missing word round..? 

You statement misleads. What % of the people that are the bin empties if the household and are active on Facebook and would use a group on Facebook to make a complaint.

Of course we don't the number but it's going to be a lot less than 30,000.

I'm sorry I haven't clue! 🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Have you directly complained to DBC about your issues? 

Like most of Douglas, I'm still waiting on extra boxes and replacement lids for the existing boxes after the shower caps shredded away to nothing about 37 seconds.

The other issues? The response was to double-bag the cat shit and baby shit, with a dose of incredulity that I could possibly presume that something that was disgusting in Northern England will be equally disgusting here. They really couldn't understand I didn't need the bin police as my bin is plenty big enough.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Like most of Douglas, I'm still waiting on extra boxes and replacement lids for the existing boxes after the shower caps shredded away to nothing about 37 seconds.

The other issues? The response was to double-bag the cat shit and baby shit, with a dose of incredulity that I could possibly presume that something that was disgusting in Northern England will be equally disgusting here. They really couldn't understand I didn't need the bin police as my bin is plenty big enough.

That’s consistent as the main themes online seem to always loop back to arrogance, aloofness, and a misplaced belief that nobody at DBC could possibly be wrong about anything and that those complaining either don’t exist (phantom online accounts) or are just trouble making moaners. Which appears to be largely untrue. A significant proportion of the 1600 people who have signed the petition appear to be Douglas residents if you go through the petition. The Facebook Group seems to have well over 1,000 members now too. There does seem to be the odd fake profile but by and large they are all real people who do reside in Douglas. The longer that DBC takes this approach the more resentment it will likely build up from its own ratepayers. The main people who will suffer too at the 2 or 3 who seem to only be on DBC to give them a platform as MHK next time round. It will be interesting to see what the public think of the stonewalling when they’re knocking on peoples doors in a few years time. Manx people are like elephants, they don’t forget. It won’t concern Wells as leader though. Nobody voted for her this time round so she has no supporters or voters to alienate which seems to be where a lot of the aloofness is coming from. There is a significant democratic deficit in Douglas which might appear to be the source of a lot of this. If people aren’t directly accountable to the voters for their positions in the first place then perhaps there’s a perception that they can pretty much do what they like. 

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

So did they visit you to see the issue in situ? 

I asked the same about lidded boxes as those shower caps are useless, they haven't received them yet.