More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Out of interest how much was the lock?  It seems that there are fixes but people are unwilling to take them.  Much of the discontent seems to arise from the behaviour of other people. I do have concerns about central Victorian Douglas, but if the fix in these areas is a lock, then it will plainly reveal those who really aren't doing their bit. 

It isn’t a huge change in habit, just like many other things that involve a change, but if you stubbornly refuse, then it will never improve for you. 

Of ebay around £11. Pretty simple just a chain , a pin you put through the hole you drill , loop it up through a second hole .lock goes in the pin. Two locks and 3 keys . Only small locks and comes with drill bit too. Corpy will fit one but charge £45 ish but far more substantial.  

Edited by Numbnuts

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Of ebay around £11. Pretty simple just a chain , a pin you put through the hole you drill , loop it up through a second hole .lock goes in the pin. Two locks and 3 keys . Only small locks and comes with drill bit too. Corpy will fit one but charge £45 ish but far more substantial.  

That is a bit of an own goal by DBC. Where there are problems with people using other bins, you would think they would offer it at a nominal fee or free. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is probably a stupid question, but how do locks on bins work?

How do the bin men undo the lock?

I don't know how they operate at DBC, but ours do not piss about.  They move fast because they want to finish the round and get home.  They actually jog from bin to bin.  Messing around with locks they would not put up with, and nor would the council!  It would hours on a round and the costs would go through the roof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

... As others have said, I get on with it, just as I did in the UK when collections went fortnightly. It was disgusting in summer, truly disgusting, and it will be just as disgusting here. My bin is never overflowing; my recycling boxes are, but not my bin...

As I've said before, I don't understand this*.  We've had fortnightly collections for about 20 years with no issues.

We have nighbours with kids in nappies, those neighbours who don't have kids have cats.  Nobody has difficulty getting rid of baby shit and cat shit (and dog shit).

We had very high temperatures in this summer (at least one day in the 40s) and no problems.  And, because of the layout of our houses, we and most of our neighbours store our waste and recycling wheelie bins and our food waste caddies by the front door.  It's not an issue here, I don't see why it's an issue* in the IoM?

*What I will say - and I've said it before - is that I suspect two of the main reasons it works for us are (1) both our waste and recycling wheelie bins hold about 240 litres, and (2) we still have a separate weekly food waste collection.  Also our recycling wheelie bin takes ALL recycling - glass, paper, card, plastics etc. - there's no messing about having to sort recycling.

Also, DBC probably needs a different strategy for flats and other multi-occupancy buildings than they have for "ordinary" households.  Each flat may not be able physically to accomodate the same number (and size) of waste and recycling containers as a house.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

This is probably a stupid question, but how do locks on bins work?

How do the bin men undo the lock?

I don't know how they operate at DBC, but ours do not piss about.  They move fast because they want to finish the round and get home.  They actually jog from bin to bin.  Messing around with locks they would not put up with, and nor would the council!  It would hours on a round and the costs would go through the roof.

The locks are gravity actuated. When the bin is upright, the mechanism locks the lid so it can't be opened without the key. When the bin wagon lifts the bin up, it rotates the bin through 180⁰ ie upside down, the lock then releases, the lid opens and the refuse falls out into the wagon hopper. When the bin is rotated back onto its wheels the lid locks shut again.

So if you're trying to dump your waste into your neighbour's bin, the trick is turn the bin upside down so all your neighbour's shite falls out then hold the lid open until it's back on its wheels. Then you can put your shite in and just close the lid. Simples. 😁

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Increase the rates, reduce the service... and if you don't like it, you can always pay around £40 for a lock for your bin. While they spend £millions on "heritage" and greasing each others' palms. Welcome to the Isle of Man, please turn your clocks 30 years backwards, so we can carry on back-slapping old mates while we try to make space for each other in the trough.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Have DBC actually produced a £figure on the cost savings this new strategy will produce?

Which naturally will turn into a reduced rate for the coming years...

£30k pa has been muted if my memory serves me correctly.

That's £1 per resident per year.

I'm still planning what I am going to spend my £2 pa rate reduction on. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Like most of Douglas, I'm still waiting on extra boxes and replacement lids for the existing boxes after the shower caps shredded away to nothing about 37 seconds.

The other issues? The response was to double-bag the cat shit and baby shit, with a dose of incredulity that I could possibly presume that something that was disgusting in Northern England will be equally disgusting here. They really couldn't understand I didn't need the bin police as my bin is plenty big enough.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

I've got about 8 recycle boxes as the councillors find it funny to arrange to have them dropped outside my house every day , watched one blow off in the wind and was delighted  the other week . 

I just burn excess rubbish now as it feels like I'm doing the complete opposite of what they want . I've also painted a different number on my second bin and had no issues since.  Can't be bothered with bin police round to tell me I can recycle more . 

If the second bin isn't emptied at any point I'll just pour it on the floor . Literally past caring . The state of Lane up around Terrace area I live you wouldn't notice the difference if I just pour it out in all honesty .

Then they win until elections and I win as I'm not following their dictatorship.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

*What I will say - and I've said it before - is that I suspect two of the main reasons it works for us are (1) both our waste and recycling wheelie bins hold about 240 litres, and (2) we still have a separate weekly food waste collection.  Also our recycling wheelie bin takes ALL recycling - glass, paper, card, plastics etc. - there's no messing about having to sort recycling.

We had fortnightly where we used to live and it was horrible. We had a proper recycling bin. We didn't have food waste collection though. Where we lived before that we *did* have food waste collection and that was better, although the food waste collection couldn't take meat and animal products so it certainly wasn't perfect.

I hated fortnightly collections where I lived and one thing I liked here was weekly collections. Ah well.

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Have DBC actually produced a £figure on the cost savings this new strategy will produce?

They've said about £30k. Which- amazingly- is the exact amount they spunked away in legal fees fighting an employment tribunal brought by a bin man.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I hated fortnightly collections where I lived and one thing I liked here was weekly collections. Ah well.

They've said about £30k. Which- amazingly- is the exact amount they spunked away in legal fees fighting an employment tribunal brought by a bin man.

Usually the biggest cost is headcount.

I would say £30k isn't even 1 person... Eh?

Bit surprised the trials DBC would have run failed to turn up these issues prior to the changeover...

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1