More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

14 minutes ago, Satan666 said:

Yes of course DBC could have done things better but we all took no notice until it was brought into play. 

Initially, the objectors on here were complaining that there wasn't enough publicity.  When it was pointed out what publicity there had been, they have been very quiet on that angle.  

The other thing that is apparent  is that people who are complaining here have not actually engaged with DBC to remedy their particular issues.  

Yes, things could have been improved by DBC, such as giving lockable bins to residents in the high population density areas, better recycling containers, but this is a two way street.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, 360 View said:

Nice to see that Wales has now introduced reverse vending machine to encourage recycling, this is something I saw working very effectively when visiting Scandinavian countries more than 25 years ago. (Permafrost slightly inhibits burying waste in the ground!)

You take your empty bottles with you when you go shopping, post them in the vending machine and get a shopping voucher in return - perhaps DBC should introduce this or even, heaven forbid, it could be implemented island-wide as a Climate Change Initiative.

My bill for that suggested action plan is in the post.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64336199

just as an extra thought, the vouchers could be donated to the Food Banks to assist those in need … 

Australia has a Return and Earn scheme in NSW and been very successful. They essentially did a one-off price increase on bottles, cans and plastic drink containers. Now you put them back into the machines and get 10c per item. You can take the money as either voucher for leading supermarket, or donate to your choice of three charities, all local and they are rotated. 
Biggest impact I noticed was at kid’s sports matches. Bins are now scoured for containers and people go off with bag loads. Means bins don’t overflow by end of game and area a lot cleaner. Same at beaches. 
Issue here will always be scale and cost of recycling material offshore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The other thing that is apparent  is that people who are complaining here have not actually engaged with DBC to remedy their particular issues.

I have, and it's like talking to a particularly stupid brick wall. And that's if they answer, which is a big if.

Wells lives round the corner from me, I might just start using her bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Initially, the objectors on here were complaining that there wasn't enough publicity.  When it was pointed out what publicity there had been, they have been very quiet on that angle.  

They sneaked the plan through on the quiet- no consultation, no publicity- and then sat on it for six months. When they decided to enact it they posted on Facebook and, er, that's it. Because everyone reads Facebook.

I work with intelligent people and nobody I worked with had a clue what was going on either. I have intelligent neighbours and they didn't have a clue what was going on either.

Its been a shitshow from start to finish, all to save the £30k a bullying HR manager had jizzed away on losing an Employment Tribunal. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I have, and it's like talking to a particularly stupid brick wall. And that's if they answer, which is a big if.

Wells lives round the corner from me, I might just start using her bin.

Escalate it, that is the only way they will understand what the issues are. 

Do you live in a high density area? Which seems to be where the issues are.  

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

They sneaked the plan through on the quiet- no consultation, no publicity- and then sat on it for six months. When they decided to enact it they posted on Facebook and, er, that's it. Because everyone reads Facebook.

I work with intelligent people and nobody I worked with had a clue what was going on either. I have intelligent neighbours and they didn't have a clue what was going on either.

Its been a shitshow from start to finish, all to save the £30k a bullying HR manager had jizzed away on losing an Employment Tribunal. 

No, they didn't just post on FB, there was info with your rates demand and the basking shark leaflet in the summer, plus plenty of coverage in local media. 

Not questioning anyone's intelligence, just their engagement and awareness. 

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, things could have been improved by DBC, such as giving lockable bins to residents in the high population density areas, better recycling containers, but this is a two way street.

Agree with that. The driver of the bin wagon I was speaking with this week said he’s had a few of his regulars saying that actually the guys running the refuse service are approachable and will listen. He thinks that came as a bit of a shock to some companies as they thought they’d just hit a brick wall. I suppose that’s good to hear that some of the front line staff back office people do care  - when you cut through all the noise around this and get into the detail of what someone’s issue is - they will find a solution.

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Wasn’t sneaked through. Flyers, radio, newspaper, council minutes - I personally think a good old couple of stickers on wheels and a leaflet at the same time would’ve been best but it wasn’t sneaked through. Doesn’t help when the post office lost thousands of leaflets but that another issue

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Sorry didn’t you say you lived in Bride when you first started arguing in support of DBC 😂

That I do but work in Douglas, said that before too - not particularly in support but I just like to cut through the crap 😝

28 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They aren’t interested. Plenty have engaged including myself. They aren’t interested in dealing with either you or the issue. The view the ratepayer as the problem not the fact that they’ve fucked up. 

What was your issue?  I have found them to be helpful with the minor issues I have had.  

If your issue is that you just want a return to weekly collections, then they are not going to accommodate you unless there is a change of policy.  If you want some adjustment to your bins and recycling, then in what way were they uninterested? 

Edited by Gladys

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

What crap is that? Actual comments from actual people who have dealt with DBC over this and found them sadly lacking and completely tone deaf? 

You need to calm down darlin. Why don’t you go along to one of their surgeries? I saw one advertised for yesterday - MHKs there too. Did you go?

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I haven't been quiet on that angle. The publicity was dire. 

It was publisised yes. But in a way that unless you are really into such things you wouldn't have noticed. DBC should have given me the courtesy of writing to me.

You have opened up the arguement again. Sorry @Gladys. I'll never agree with you. 

• Thanks 1