More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Just now, Jarndyce said:

Did you not receive a rates demand in the post?   Odd…

Yes I did. But like most folk I didn't even open it. It's DD. I don't read all my mail. Not many busy people do these days. 

I'm not saying they didn't tell me. They did. However given the massive outcry they didn't do a good job. They employed a plonker to manage the communication. 

Said it twice already. IMO the success of any communication strategy is not how well you think you did, it's how well your customers think you did. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 12:48 AM, C Montgomery Burns said:

With the swimming pool strategy its an embarrassment that the taxpayer spent the money in the first place (which was in response to the demands of the local authorities) on such a pointless document with such an obvious conclusion. If local pools don’t make money then shut them down or pay for them on your rates. If you were in the UK having a pool 20 minutes away from where you live would be absolutely fine. The NSC is on a bus route. But central funding for a load of decrepit loss making pools that local authorities haven’t adequately maintained on the rates over the last 20 years isn’t the answer. 

But what they all seem to forget is when the NSC and the swimming pool  was being put together , the land was in the ownership of Douglas Corporation , and it was agreed that if  the Summer land site was also transfered  at no cost to Government  then the operation of the NSC and pool  would be born by central government , the   other  regional pools in Ramsey .Peel  and Castletown  are operated by regional  bodies  with representation from the local commissioners  and a varying level of  local rate support contributions , 

so I hope the Douglas MHK's and councillors will make sure  the millions of pounds in land values  that were transfered and the agreement with central government will be honoured !

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:
12 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Did you not receive a rates demand in the post?   Odd…

Yes I did. But like most folk I didn't even open it. It's DD.

“Most folk” must have more cash to burn than me, then.   I opened it to find out what my DD was going to be taking out of my account this year, so I could budget for it.   And, oh look - there’s a leaflet…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

“Most folk” must have more cash to burn than me, then.   I opened it to find out what my DD was going to be taking out of my account this year, so I could budget for it.   And, oh look - there’s a leaflet…

Fair enough. It was quite a long time ago now though. Did you know the exact week it was happening though. The leaflet said one thing, it wasnt right.

Like I keep saying, and will keep saying, lots of people didnt see the leaflet nor realise the significance. Yes it makes them careless like me. But communications experts know that we are just humans and when you have a really important message you try a bit harder and make sure you succeed. They didnt. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Fair enough. It was quite a long time ago now though. Did you know the exact week it was happening though. The leaflet said one thing, it wasnt right.

Like I keep saying, and will keep saying, lots of people didnt see the leaflet nor realise the significance. Yes it makes them careless like me. But communications experts know that we are just humans and when you have a really important message you try a bit harder and make sure you succeed. They didnt. 

The fault, then, is with you.  If you don't read your post then you are being lax.  

Metaphorically, it is like sticking your fingers in your ears and then denying anyone told you.  They did, but you chose not to listen, which is fine but don't grumble when it turns out that it was a message that was important. 

It's another symptom of the complacency that abounds in the electorate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The fault, then, is with you.  If you don't read your post then you are being lax.  

Metaphorically, it is like sticking your fingers in your ears and then denying anyone told you.  They did, but you chose not to listen, which is fine but don't grumble when it turns out that it was a message that was important. 

It's another symptom of the complacency that abounds in the electorate.

I think you are missing the point gladys.

I am admitting my failings. They are human failings. I am far from 1 in 1. I am saying that DBCs customers are humans. They have failings. They should have had that in  mind when they came up with a strategy that was only suitable for those who didnt have such failings. A minority it seems.

FGS who ever reads all the crap that organisations put in with their Bill's. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Most people in private rental properties would not receive a rates bill either straight to landlord or estate agent - anyhow bin day on Wednesday just like last week for me.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Most people in private rental properties would not receive a rates bill either straight to landlord or estate agent - anyhow bin day on Wednesday just like last week for me.

Well, their issue is with the landlord for not making them aware.