More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

How much is the golf course being subsidized by ratepayers this year?

If you go down at half past three it’s full of golfing teachers just using that extra hour and a half of rest and relaxation. It will be busy when the next strike is on. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BriT said:

What seems to be fairly clear now looking at the rate increases announced Island wide is that waste disposal fees (ie, gate fees at the EFW) seem to be the main driver in all the rate rises.

Probably due to Daffer's Green Team?  Crank the prices up to encourage more recycling.  Actually it just ultimately ends up costing us more with very little green things to show at the end.

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It's crazy that on an island full of golf courses, and a dwindling number of golfers, that a local authority thinks a golf course is a funding priority.

and yet with a dwindling number of doctors more funding IS a priority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WTF said:
57 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It's crazy that on an island full of golf courses, and a dwindling number of golfers, that a local authority thinks a golf course is a funding priority.

and yet with a dwindling number of doctors more funding IS a priority.

Do DBC fund doctors?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not exactly Daffers biggest fan but I don’t think so. Chris Thomas and the DOI are now reviewing the services they supply to the LAs and I think that a lot of central government cost is going to get offloaded onto people rates so government can pretend that it’s saving money. The gate fees are a classic example as what will happen is that less waste gets burned so the residual waste charges will just go up and up to compensate. So it’s a fairly pointless exercise pretending to be green when really we need to be burning more to make the EVW plant more efficient. We’re paying for it regardless. 

You may be surprised, but I agree.  We have the EFW plant and should be doing all we can to feed it.  But it won't like glass and metals. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Probably due to Daffer's Green Team?  Crank the prices up to encourage more recycling.  Actually it just ultimately ends up costing us more with very little green things to show at the end.

Gate fees are set by the EFW operator, SUEZ/SITA and appear to be meekly accepted without question whenever they rise. What contractual arrangements exist between they and Govt is one of the general public's great unknowns.

As in God only knows what they have us signed up to.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Gate fees are set by the EFW operator, PURA/SITA and appear to be meekly accepted without question whenever they rise. What contractual arrangements exist between they and Govt is one of the general public's great unknowns.

As in God only knows what they have us signed up to.

Probably uplift in line with inflation, lots of similar contracts are

They have signed us up to the same kind of shit show as the manx gas debacle. Where SITA/PURA are guaranteed certain recompense no matter if we are just burning the odd witch or ton upon ton of waste. Another in the great line of monumental fuck ups that may or may not been inscounced by brown envelopes. All of which will be hidden in time and change's of burocrocy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

You may be surprised, but I agree.  We have the EFW plant and should be doing all we can to feed it.  But it won't like glass and metals. 

It's not that simple. Like I said before, the efw plant is not an electricity generating plant that uses waste as a fuel. Its a plant that incinerated waste in order to get rid of it and generates some electricity to offset the cost to some degree. 

It's a hard thing to get your head around I know. 

So we don't need to send more waste there, unless it's stuff like dry wood. 

That's why they charge a gate fee. The waste is not that useful to them otherwise they would pay for the waste. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So we don't need to send more waste there, unless it's stuff like dry wood. 

I'm pretty sure that they recently hiked the gate price for waste wood by 200%?