More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

A multi storey car park would be the way forward if I had the decision to make and I would make it affordable really cheap if you purchased a weekly ticket this would accommodate workers and help the active scheme if they walked into town also it would be available for visitors to use that stay that end of the promenade .   The other place where a multi storey would be great is the Duke Street site which has been abandoned .

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A multi storey car park would be the way forward if I had the decision to make and I would make it affordable really cheap if you purchased a weekly ticket this would accommodate workers and help the active scheme if they walked into town also it would be available for visitors to use that stay that end of the promenade .   The other place where a multi storey would be great is the Duke Street site which has been abandoned .

It would be a miserable walk in for about nine months of the year though.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, Two-lane said:

If you take into account the legal costs incurred by DBC, maybe the bin collections will have to be reduced to once every 3 months.

Legal costs don’t seem to be an issue with any LA, but looking at the number of uncontested seats we see they’re probably offsetting those costs with savings on the election side. Fill in a form, nobody else is interested, here’s your position. Just like Ray Harmer in Peel. 

1 hour ago, BriT said:

they’re probably offsetting those costs with savings on the election side. Fill in a form, nobody else is interested, here’s your position. Just like Ray Harmer in Peel. 

Vote None of The Above is an established democratic concept in Jersey now. If it’s an uncontested seat or little interest exists allow people to vote for none of the above at a public vote if they disagree that a seat should just be handed to someone through lack of interest. As discussed at the 2021 election:

https://fearandloathing2021.wixsite.com/website/post/something-in-the-ayre

52 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Vote None of The Above is an established democratic concept in Jersey now. 

The more I read about it the more I’m convinced 

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2022/06/29/call-for-end-of-none-of-the-above-voting/

Mr Lewis, who was the only candidate vying for the seat, said: ‘What I would like is, if the future Constables are nominated at least two months in advance, then if anyone is not happy, they are more than welcome to stand against them.’ Despite 39% of those casting ballots in St Saviour voting against him, Mr Lewis said he believed he could win over his detractors

Can you imagine that here? 39% of people being bothered to go out and register a vote against someone contesting an uncontested seat? The Corpy would be in uproar! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The more I read about it the more I’m convinced 

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2022/06/29/call-for-end-of-none-of-the-above-voting/

Mr Lewis, who was the only candidate vying for the seat, said: ‘What I would like is, if the future Constables are nominated at least two months in advance, then if anyone is not happy, they are more than welcome to stand against them.’ Despite 39% of those casting ballots in St Saviour voting against him, Mr Lewis said he believed he could win over his detractors

Can you imagine that here? 39% of people being bothered to go out and register a vote against someone contesting an uncontested seat? The Corpy would be in uproar! 

Why don’t you stand as you seem to have answers to everything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:21 PM, Two-lane said:

It would seem that DBC object to the unfinished extension because it makes the area look shabby (my brain gave up trying to read that judgment posted by RogerMexico, but there must be some such statement in there). I've driven along Quarterbridge Road many times but have not noticed anything untoward anywhere - but I am looking where I am going.

On the other hand while driving on the North end of the prom. I have always noticed the derelict Summerland site. No doubt DBC/gov. (whoever owns it) will say that they cannot spend money on it because it has to be left in its virgin state so that a developer will have a free hand. In my opinion, that is crêpe. Not using it as a car park or dumping ground would be a start.

Not only that, there is the area right alongside the MER/horse tram/pub which is used as a dump site. Maybe someone should notify DBC and get them to serve a notice:1.thumb.jpg.924c83e74b87a810d25ae467bac596ce.jpg.c5bb391e12da106f1a9bf62fec60b5f6.jpg

That wooden crate would come in handy for my new raised bed. And I'll have the gate as well. I could make a decent compost bin with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But in this case his answer is "We should be doing the same as Jersey".  I'd have thought you would be in agreement.

I think in this instance maybe we should. That story is hilarious you can almost feel his disappointment and sense of “how very dare they” when presented with the result that 39% of his parish actually got up and went out to register a protest vote just so that he had less chance of getting in. They should have the same on DBC and all the other LAs here. There’s far too many uncontested seats. 

• Like 1

But if the GP here are too apathetic to stand for councils and too apathetic to vote I don’t see them rushing to vote against a person who has been given the position because no one else wanted it.   Looking at the present members of DCB or even some of the Commissioners would it really give anyone with half a brain and a modicum of sense any incentive to join them ?   The chances of making a difference are non existent.

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

But if the GP here are too apathetic to stand for councils and too apathetic to vote I don’t see them rushing to vote against a person who has been given the position because no one else wanted it. 

And yet 39% of people in Jersey did just that according to that story. Apathy means you can’t change anything, that process means you actually can change something if enough people are bothered.

• Like 1