More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But in Jersey all voters were already going out to vote for Deputies in contested elections.  So it took very little extra effort to vote for or against an unopposed Connétable.

I still think people would make the effort here regardless. Uncontested elections are a joke. It needs to be stopped. 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I still think people would make the effort here regardless. Uncontested elections are a joke. It needs to be stopped. 

Ah, yes: but this is a subject area in which you (and one or two others on here) are particularly motivated and passionate.   I’m not convinced that the majority (who couldn’t be bothered to leave their homes and vote) would be more motivated to turn up, just to vote “none of the above”.   Maybe I’m wrong…I wouldn’t have a problem with this appearing on the ballot paper, just not convinced it would make any difference to the outcome.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Maybe I’m wrong…I wouldn’t have a problem with this appearing on the ballot paper, just not convinced it would make any difference to the outcome.

It’s worth giving it a try. The number of uncontested elections in the IOM are a joke and as I understand it Jersey brought it in because people were equally fed up of joke elections. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

It’s worth giving it a try. The number of uncontested elections i the IOM are a joke and as I understand it Jersey brought it in because people were equally fed up of joke elections. 

But what would it achieve?  An empty seat on the Council?  Aren't the two issues different anyway? NOTA would be used where there were no suitable candidates not to prevent an uncontested election, surely? 

Just now, Gladys said:

But what would it achieve?  An empty seat on the Council?  Aren't the two issues different anyway? NOTA would be used where there were no suitable candidates not to prevent an uncontested election, surely? 

No they aren’t two different issues at all. It would achieve people being able to make a point if they really thought the uncontested candidate standing was a complete muppet who shouldn’t have the role. 

• Like 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

No they aren’t two different issues at all. It would achieve people being able to make a point if they really thought the uncontested candidate standing was a complete muppet who shouldn’t have the role. 

To what end?  No one take the seat, or someone who has had NOTAs against them still taking the seat? I don't see what it would achieve.

You definitely cannot create a tiered system of elected representatives, so those returned unopposed have a lesser status as that disenfranchises the people in that ward or constituency. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Gladys said:

To what end?  No one take the seat, or someone who has had NOTAs against them still taking the seat? I don't see what it would achieve.

You definitely cannot create a tiered system of elected representatives, so those returned unopposed have a lesser status as that disenfranchises the people in that ward or constituency. 

You’re just pointlessly arguing now 😂😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But what would it achieve?  An empty seat on the Council?  

we could have 10 empty seats on the council and we wouldn't notice a difference , in fact it would probably improve things so perhaps we would. at the end of the day this island is  small enough to manage with just  one council, we could call it tynwald.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, WTF said:

we could have 10 empty seats on the council and we wouldn't notice a difference , in fact it would probably improve things so perhaps we would. at the end of the day this island is  small enough to manage with just  one council, we could call it tynwald.

Agreed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

The idea of a 'none of the above' option is that the electorate can express their dissatisfaction with the unopposed candidate(s) and a fresh election is called, hopefully with a selection of candidates emerging.  This could well happen - look at Ramsey Commissioners when they (effectively) had 9 candidates for 12 seats and then  more than that for the 3 uncontested ones.

The main problem is that it costs, both to have the NOTA election and then any subsequent one[1].  In a lot of small rural authorities the Commissioners end up being chosen more or less by consensus among the inhabitants (or at least those with any interest).  So forcing an election is just extra cost.  And with say five candidate for five seats you might want the option to approve of some but not others.

[1]  Obviously this is less of problem in Jersey when people will be voting anyway in a different election at the same time.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Leave it to those who can see merit in a candidate, or those who would vote for whoever  they consider the least worst option.

The least worse option could genuinely be none of the above.