More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

It is felt that the largest private landlords have around 150 properties of which a third are less than ten years old. So completely different scales, funding, and client base. 

Arragon has around 400. Dandara must have the same. They’re all used to running diverse portfolios that need maintaining. 

All I can go on is the interview, the man said he had had a visit from someone from housing two years prior and they were shocked by the state of the place.  Two years later, nothing. 

You also have to look at the state (not the mess) to wonder how a public sector landlord can allow their property to deteriote, whether it is due to the tenant's actions or their own failure to maintain.  Even just on the failure to maintain their own asset. 

The priority in 2000 homes is surely those that have ceased to be habitable.  

Get your point about private landlords, but is this not illustrative that social housing is failing in meeting basic habitation standards?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Arragon has around 400. Dandara must have the same. They’re all used to running diverse portfolios that need maintaining. 

The lack of a register means that can't be confirmed. Arragon offloaded a number of properties. DD property all (400 if that is true) do not generally have hoarders in their £800 p/m or whatever portfolio of near new property.

1 minute ago, english zloty said:

The lack of a register means that can't be confirmed. Arragon offloaded a number of properties.

The register is only for governments benefit. I know roughly how many houses Arragon owns and it’s around that number. They’re only getting rid of the flats because of the ridiculous new rules coming in. Social housing provides a service. As someone has suggested above maybe they thought he was a bit too “trampy” for a swanky new flat up the road? But he’s paying the same in rent regardless to live in a hovel.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

All I can go on is the interview, the man said he had had a visit from someone from housing two years prior and they were shocked by the state of the place.  Two years later, nothing. 

You also have to look at the state (not the mess) to wonder how a public sector landlord can allow their property to deteriote, whether it is due to the tenant's actions or their own failure to maintain.  Even just on the failure to maintain their own asset. 

The priority in 2000 homes is surely those that have ceased to be habitable.  

Get your point about private landlords, but is this not illustrative that social housing is failing in meeting basic habitation standards?

How do you know though? There are somewhere 6,000 public sector. The condition in a general sense is known, but how can you know that a hoarder, or someone not heating their property (by way of example) (I am now treating mould in my own home because of heating costs btw, as are many millions more). 

There is a real challenge ahead which the UK is already facing, whereby significant numbers of public sector homes will not make EPC C without huge investment. They will also be the older homes not generally subject to fixed term tenancy reviews as is the case here seemingly.

There no hundreds of millions of many years of disruption ahead.

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

The register is only for governments benefit. I know roughly how many houses Arragon owns and it’s around that number. They’re only getting rid of the flats because of the ridiculous new rules coming in. Social housing provides a service. As someone has suggested above maybe they thought he was a bit too “trampy” for a swanky new flat up the road? But he’s paying the same in rent regardless to live in a hovel.

He won't be paying the same rent at all. That's not true sorry. 

Even 400 is only a quarter of DBC stock

I think the register would be for the Island's benefit as it is everywhere else in the UK, but more so than ever now, to better understand the size of the market and the nature of properties being rented by whom at what cost. 

8 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I think the register would be for the Island's benefit as it is everywhere else in the UK, but more so than ever now, to better understand the size of the market and the nature of properties being rented by whom at what cost. 

The tax office already know that. The register is a waste of time and will be the main reason why the private sector market shrinks even more. But DBC have no excuse. They’re exempt from having to register because apparently there are no problems with public sector housing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I thought the lord street flats including quines corner had all been emptied, how many tenants remain?

I think it's just the ones on the other side of the road.  From memory there's about the same number of flats there as in the new development, so no intention of 'decanting' Quines Corner or the other properties on that side of Lord Street., even though Quine's Corner must date back to same inter-war period as the Lord Street Flats when the street was created. 

And of course you can only move people into suitable properties and a lot of people don't want to move because they don't want to go onto 5 year tenancies - even though it's unlikely the Council would ever kick them out, it's a psychological barrier for some.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, english zloty said:

How do you know though? There are somewhere 6,000 public sector. The condition in a general sense is known, but how can you know that a hoarder, or someone not heating their property (by way of example) (I am now treating mould in my own home because of heating costs btw, as are many millions more). 

There is a real challenge ahead which the UK is already facing, whereby significant numbers of public sector homes will not make EPC C without huge investment. They will also be the older homes not generally subject to fixed term tenancy reviews as is the case here seemingly.

There no hundreds of millions of many years of disruption ahead.

I did say that I can only go on the interview, but also many other reports of sub-standard social housing.  The hoarding may not be relevant beyond making people turn up their noses, or it may be  highly relevant as it is indicative of an underlying issue with him that makes him unable to properly take care of himself and his home. 

The point remains, however, how has DBC allowed one of their properties to fall into such disrepair whether through their own neglect or that of their tenant? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kopek said:

The mildew mould seems to run ceiling to floor? That would seem to indicate external ingress from above???

Well, he did refer to a leak.  It depends how effective the repair was, if repaired at all.

Even if due to his way of doing things, a bit of help and guidance may not go amiss.  Having said that, who would keep a fridge freezer in their living room if not because the kitchen was inadequate?  Is it possible that the whole flat is completely inadequate when examined against basic habitation criteria?  

55 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

The tax office already know that. The register is a waste of time and will be the main reason why the private sector market shrinks even more. But DBC have no excuse. They’re exempt from having to register because apparently there are no problems with public sector housing. 

Another incorrect statement. The tax system does not track how many private rental properties there are. The census does, every five years. 

I would think meeting climate change standards will be the biggest contributor to a reduction of the existing rental market. However a new one will no doubt succeed it. 

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, he did refer to a leak.  It depends how effective the repair was, if repaired at all.

Even if due to his way of doing things, a bit of help and guidance may not go amiss.  Having said that, who would keep a fridge freezer in their living room if not because the kitchen was inadequate?  Is it possible that the whole flat is completely inadequate when examined against basic habitation criteria?  

It's ok, Councillor Watson has torn himself away from Twitter and gone to investigate. 

20792115.jpg

Councillor Schuengel couldn't make it as the property doesn't have EV charging points and he didn't have an extension cable long enough. 

Meanwhile, Council Leader Wells has dismissed the case as fake news being spread by the tofu-eating wokerati.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Having said that, who would keep a fridge freezer in their living room if not because the kitchen was inadequate?  Is it possible that the whole flat is completely inadequate when examined against basic habitation criteria?  

Most modern flats - even if they have a separate kitchen rather than a kitchen area off the lounge - will only have space for appliances under the worktop - usually a fridge and a washer/drier and more space for the oven/hob.  Trying to get a fridge/freezer in will mean losing most of the remaining worktop and a lot or storage.

So you'll be condemning the vast majority of modern properties with those criteria, never mind places like Quines Corner with no space for appliances that didn't exist when they were built.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Most modern flats - even if they have a separate kitchen rather than a kitchen area off the lounge - will only have space for appliances under the worktop - usually a fridge and a washer/drier and more space for the oven/hob.  Trying to get a fridge/freezer in will mean losing most of the remaining worktop and a lot or storage.

So you'll be condemning the vast majority of modern properties with those criteria, never mind places like Quines Corner with no space for appliances that didn't exist when they were built.

He said his kitchen was refurbished, to a very poor standard, so perhaps that may have been a good time to make sure a FF would fit, as they are an accepted appliance now.   Or he should have gone for an undercounter FF when they refurbished, but probably at his own cost and if he was given the option. 

• Like 1