More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

They need to get the guy out of there, post-haste. With his Co-operation, he, and his bare essentials to begin with then deal with the hoard. Even if it's to a vacant flat in the same block sans the damp. It would seem an humane thing to do. Duty of care, an'that... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, quilp said:

They need to get the guy out of there, post-haste. With his Co-operation, he, and his bare essentials to begin with then deal with the hoard. Even if it's to a vacant flat in the same block sans the damp. It would seem an humane thing to do. Duty of care, an'that... 

it sounds so easy …………. for a normal social housing provider. You are dealing with Douglas Council here with its crackpot officialdom. You would think the local constituency MHKs would help? Namely Clare Barber MHK DEFA Minister and Joney Faragher MHK, Leader of the Manx Labour Party - defenders of the poor, dispossessed, homeless, the have nots etc etc. It seems Councillor Devon Watson is making lots of noise but delivering little, while hectoring and lecturing others. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

He said his kitchen was refurbished, to a very poor standard, so perhaps that may have been a good time to make sure a FF would fit, as they are an accepted appliance now.   Or he should have gone for an undercounter FF when they refurbished, but probably at his own cost and if he was given the option. 

While I'm quite sure that the Corpy would have been quite capable of doing a very poor refit at enormous expense (there was a report some years back on this), my point was really that even the kitchens in modern flats often don't have space for fridge freezers and compared to those, inter-war kitchens are smaller again, even in bigger properties.  People didn't have the appliances and needed less storage as they had to shop every day anyway.  No revamp, however good, is going to increase the space available.

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

it sounds so easy …………. for a normal social housing provider. You are dealing with Douglas Council here with its crackpot officialdom. You would think the local constituency MHKs would help? Namely Clare Barber MHK DEFA Minister and Joney Faragher MHK, Leader of the Manx Labour Party - defenders of the poor, dispossessed, homeless, the have nots etc etc. It seems Councillor Devon Watson is making lots of noise but delivering little, while hectoring and lecturing others. 

I don't think any social (or commercial) housing is going to be able to provide someone with a new flat and a second one to keep their stuff in.  And if they did you'd be the first to complain.

(Also this in in Douglas Central, not Douglas East).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

He said his kitchen was refurbished, to a very poor standard, so perhaps that may have been a good time to make sure a FF would fit, as they are an accepted appliance now.   Or he should have gone for an undercounter FF when they refurbished, but probably at his own cost and if he was given the option. 

The kitchen was probably done under the same framework to the same standard as literally thousands of kitchens. I only watched once but he seemed to be complaining because it wasn't solid wood construction? But who has that. Most are composite materials. Perhaps he has a second fridge. Who knows?

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Joney Faragher was asked on FB about it she replied Devon Watson was dealing with the matter ….and so it goes on and on…pass the parcel followed by musical chairs.

Well it's not her constituency and it's not central government (ie DoI) housing, so it's difficult to see how it's her responsibility except, like every other MHK, in so far as it illuminates central policy.

There is slightly more insight in a comment under the YouTube in which a family member states that direct kin have endeavoured to declutter but became overwhelmed by it. Whilst there is no comment about the condition at present, there is that the gentleman requires 'professional help'. This is what I summarised a number of posts back. It is, it would appear, a failing in social services, rather than the landlord in the first instance. My guess would be, as is all too common in such cases, that DBC will have endeavoured to get that support but got nowhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, english zloty said:

It is, it would appear, a failing in social services, rather than the landlord in the first instance. My guess would be, as is all too common in such cases, that DBC will have endeavoured to get that support but got nowhere.

Good gracious! You won’t get anywhere on this thread with THAT sort of attitude!  😉

11 minutes ago, english zloty said:

It is, it would appear, a failing in social services, rather than the landlord in the first instance. My guess would be, as is all too common in such cases, that DBC will have endeavoured to get that support but got nowhere.

Surely the point of social housing that it should be exactly for these sort of people who fall through all the other nets. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

There is slightly more insight in a comment under the YouTube in which a family member states that direct kin have endeavoured to declutter but became overwhelmed by it. Whilst there is no comment about the condition at present, there is that the gentleman requires 'professional help'. This is what I summarised a number of posts back. It is, it would appear, a failing in social services, rather than the landlord in the first instance. My guess would be, as is all too common in such cases, that DBC will have endeavoured to get that support but got nowhere.

I have a little experience of this kind of situation.  A couple of years ago, someone with severe hoarding and simple hygiene  issues looked for help.  The crisis team was called, but no help.  A visit to the GP, no help, no psychiatric referral, although someone from social services was assigned to put a clear up plan in  place, with little 'wins' set. They visited weekly for about 6 weeks. 

After that, all was left as was.

Scroll forward 3 years and there is a call to emergency services by a concerned relative, door broken down and person found in need of emergency admission, badly injured after a fall.  Several weeks in hospital moved from ward to ward, including to RCH for 'rehabilitation', then back withon days for investigation of severe pain.

While in hospital, absolutely no intervention, psychiatric or dependency help, pleas to a dietician to help with  dietary supplements to assist with poor eating issues were ignored, even though in hospital and refusing food.  I took in some Slimfast shakes in an attempt to give some nutrition, the nurses thought that was a great idea, not that supplements should be provided by the dietitian. 

Eventually discharged and the re-enabling service engaged to visit and assist every day, they rattled the dietetic services to get some dietary supplements, despite initial refusal because they did not meet the criteria (getting this person mobile is a priority to help in rehabilitation, they will not be mobile if too weak), shook up the social housing provider to install a suitable shower, assisted with massage to reduce oedema to assist in mobility and have made a referral to Hospice for monthly visits to their oedema clinic.   This is after 5 weeks in hospital with swollen legs and not one health professional thought this may be an issue that can be easily assessed and a plan put in place while they are lying right there in the middle of a healthcare centre.

The support they are getting now is fantastic, useful and making a difference.  The support they had before being set on the right track and whilst in hospital was abysmal.  

Just shocking. 

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

the re-enabling service engaged to visit and assist every day

This service sounds like the only one that's doing the business for the patient, since they managed to shake up and mobilise everyone else.   Are they Social Services, Primary Care - or what?

• Like 1