More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Bonzai Pan Asian is doing the food in both Sir Norman’s and old Harbour Lights, both at the Sefton. And Sir Norman’s is open.

So, I didn’t need to doubt myself. I was correct.

Perhaps the reopening of Sir Norman’s explains the influx of Albanians?

Tried Orange and Nanduu. Both really good. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Food and fireworks aside, if the fortnightly bin collection is partly to encourage residents to recycle, what percentage of the material that is put into the Island's recycling bins is recycled? And what happens to the rest of it?

You won’t get an answer.  Very little is recycled in any way that actually benefits the environment.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You won’t get an answer.  Very little is recycled in any way that actually benefits the environment.

Items collected in the recycling boxes are sent away for recycling. 6% is a pathetic recycling rate.

It's much better in Wales and Scotland.

Wales is a world leader with 65% recycling.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:
37 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Items collected in the recycling boxes are sent away for recycling. 6% is a pathetic recycling rate

Like I said.  Very  little is recycled in a way that benefits the environment.

If the stuff was sent 20 miles down the road to a recycling plant that was running all day recycling huge amounts of stuff then maybe.

Collecting it in fairly small quantities and then shipping it via various wagons and a ferry?  Doubtful

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

what percentage of the material that is put into the Island's recycling bins is recycled? And what happens to the rest of it?

Well it seems Devon Watson has had an interesting sort of Twitter meltdown tonight where he suggests that they aren’t interested in taking a lot of the recycling as there’s no money in it for them. Which is why they don’t take a huge amount of recycling items that other recycling providers take. So I’d guess nothing in the bins is recycled on that basis as according to him they can’t be bothered taking lots of things as it will cost them money to process it and get rid of it. 

this has always been the case and thats why the island has an energy from waste plant  the recycling markets have always been volatile , and now the cost of collection and shipping   recycling items  probably outweighs the  financial  return ,  there should have been district heating  hot water /steam element to the EFW it would have paid dividends now heating most of Anagh coar and the business park , perhaps when the plant gets upgraded shortly this feature will be included ,  but thats not a Corpy decision ,  they are just ticking boxes and wasting ratepayers money !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

this has always been the case and thats why the island has an energy from waste plant  the recycling markets have always been volatile , and now the cost of collection and shipping   recycling items  probably outweighs the  financial  return ,  there should have been district heating  hot water /steam element to the EFW it would have paid dividends now heating most of Anagh coar and the business park , perhaps when the plant gets upgraded shortly this feature will be included ,  but thats not a Corpy decision ,  they are just ticking boxes and wasting ratepayers money !

There is no spare heat at the efw plant. The hot water is recycled.

11 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Wrong. A lot is recycled and sent / sold off island for this purpose. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BriT said:

Well it seems Devon Watson has had an interesting sort of Twitter meltdown tonight where he suggests that they aren’t interested in taking a lot of the recycling as there’s no money in it for them. Which is why they don’t take a huge amount of recycling items that other recycling providers take. So I’d guess nothing in the bins is recycled on that basis as according to him they can’t be bothered taking lots of things as it will cost them money to process it and get rid of it. 

Another faux greenist? I get the impression from my Douglas friends that they are very unhappy with the current councillors and their pursuit of selfish policies.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Another faux greenist? I get the impression from my Douglas friends that they are very unhappy with the current councillors and their pursuit of selfish policies.

You get the impression that he’s a faux everything. His only interest seems to be in being a politician and to be taken seriously when he actually comes across as a bit of a tit. Similar to Ashford who was also on DBC first. I don’t know what they have in the water in Douglas to keep on producing these tinpot bigheaded loons. 

• Haha 2

Low and behold, a lot of the UK plastics and various other recycling components being shipped are being fly dumped and left not to rot around europe and the far east. After the UK has payed to have them ethically disposed off. Bit like the scam in Liverpool where perpetrators hired huge warehouse and proceeded to offer tyre disposal at a fantastic rate, after non payment of six months on the warehouse owners sent in bailiffs. Who on entering premises found it packed to the rafters with used tyre's, costs were astronomical to dispose ethically of the tyre's. And guess what renters were never seen again, just another con of the recycling world. This has more to do with paying less gate fee's than actually saving the world, gate fee's that will rise to meet shortfall of waste. Sita has guaranteed profit which gov is trying to claw back through gate fee's, less goes in more the costs rise. The amount of shite was based on an increase in population that never materialised, let's see independent confirmation of any power generated by the plant. As far as I'm aware like the air scrubbers this has not worked in a long while.  Dam that treble expresso 

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Wrong. A lot is recycled and sent / sold off island for this purpose. 

You are missing the point of what I am saying.

I am not disputing that it is sent off island.  I am questioning the environmental benefit of doing it

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 2