More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

whats going on at the city hall  no money to reinstate the weekly domestic waste collection , but all of a sudden we can afford a swimming raft to be anchored off Douglas beach   all I ever see swimming is the 2 mature ladies who go into the sea  opposite the band stand on Queens prom  does anyone know who has called for this raft , never had one before in my lifetime , 

and we made a special journey to pay the rates today and guess what the city hall payments desk  opens at 11 am and closed again at 2-30 pm , no wonder people are behind in paying their rent ,  and why could I not opt to pay my rates  in any post office instead of dragging  into Douglas and to find  the services are only available part time , 

Regeneration committee of which I’m a member and I voted for this. About time we make better use of the beach again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Regeneration committee of which I’m a member and I voted for this. About time we make better use of the beach again. 

maybe remove the seaweed instead of shoving back into the water every day then?  the down side being there would be less vegetation consuming/camouflaging  the sewage and not there to blame the  smell on.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe remove the seaweed instead of shoving back into the water every day then?  the down side being there would be less vegetation consuming/camouflaging  the sewage and not there to blame the  smell on.

Have we ever had an explanation of why this is done, how much it costs and what the other options are and impact of those options? 

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Have we ever had an explanation of why this is done, how much it costs and what the other options are and impact of those options? 

Many questions have been asked but 'm not sure there has ever been a definative answer. From the background of my mind I seem to remember that farmers don't want seaweed any more? Or that there's not enough use for it? TBH, digging a hole and burying it would be a better option than the futile exercise of dumping it into the sea every day.

I'd like to see Douglas foreshore used more too. The raft will help encourage folks to get in the sea, but that stinking wrack might put more off, than a fancy raft will encourage. I hope I'm wrong - we shall see - anyway, it's an initiative and that should be supported.

Just now, Roxanne said:

Many questions have been asked but 'm not sure there has ever been a definative answer. From the background of my mind I seem to remember that farmers don't want seaweed any more? Or that there's not enough use for it? TBH, digging a hole and burying it would be a better option than the futile exercise of dumping it into the sea every day.

I'd like to see Douglas foreshore used more too. The raft will help encourage folks to get in the sea, but that stinking wrack might put more off, than a fancy raft will encourage. I hope I'm wrong - we shall see - anyway, it's an initiative and that should be supported.

Yes, the raft is a great idea.  Just not sure about the seaweed.  Isn't there a cost to the necessary washing of it before it can be used for anything?  

Should ask my Councillor. 

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

it could be dried out and be burned at the incinerator 

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

whats going on at the city hall  no money to reinstate the weekly domestic waste collection , but all of a sudden we can afford a swimming raft to be anchored off Douglas beach   all I ever see swimming is the 2 mature ladies who go into the sea  opposite the band stand on Queens prom  does anyone know who has called for this raft , never had one before in my lifetime , 

What a pointless waste of money. Maybe they thought that it’s about time more people got to enjoy those Douglas Bay turds. I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone swim in the bay for that reason in about 20 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillyNoMates said:

i see poeple swim there quite often specially in the morning. some mad people go for a dip. would be nice to have better facilties there like pe or peel 

I haven’t seen anyone swimming there for years. It might have been better for those who approved a pointless raft to perhaps make sure there is a changing area there first then as who wants to sit there shivering in the freezing cold?

they will be able to sing whey'l meet again  when the creamery pumps the slime out ,and the beach is never gong to be the same until they replace the groynes  that for years prevented the scouring and loss of sand , also in some places the level of the shingle  is now higher than the promenade walkway , 

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

A number of other places round the Island already have one or more of these.  Port Erin has for some years and recently renewed it, Ramsey got one two years ago and Castletown appears to have one too.  I don't think it will be costing much in the general scheme of things.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Laxey has one too. The day it's put in the water is a very special day. People love it and kids play all day on it.

There has been a raft at Laxey since I was a nipper.  Not a new idea, but a simple and  good one. 

• Haha 1