More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

You are missing the point of what I am saying.

I am not disputing that it is sent off island.  I am questioning the environmental benefit of doing it

They don’t seem to be trying that hard to reassure the public that they are doing this for anything other than financial reasons. Does anyone know if Douglas Council funds the tip at Middle River as I hear that last weekend it was chocca with people getting rid of green waste. It would be ironic if they just switched cost base from collections to disposals via the tip.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t seem to be trying that hard to reassure the public that they are doing this for anything other than financial reasons. Does anyone know if Douglas Council funds the tip at Middle River as I hear that last weekend it was chocca with people getting rid of green waste. It would be ironic if they just switched cost base from collections to disposals via the tip.

I think it’s funded by all eastern authorities ie Douglas, Braddan & Onchan & the new one near incinerator will be similar 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Disposals via the tip, that is about to become a (admittedly only slightly) longer drive for everyone when the new one goes live?

6 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Low and behold, a lot of the UK plastics and various other recycling components being shipped are being fly dumped and left not to rot around europe and the far east. After the UK has payed to have them ethically disposed off. Bit like the scam in Liverpool where perpetrators hired huge warehouse and proceeded to offer tyre disposal at a fantastic rate, after non payment of six months on the warehouse owners sent in bailiffs. Who on entering premises found it packed to the rafters with used tyre's, costs were astronomical to dispose ethically of the tyre's. And guess what renters were never seen again, just another con of the recycling world. This has more to do with paying less gate fee's than actually saving the world, gate fee's that will rise to meet shortfall of waste. Sita has guaranteed profit which gov is trying to claw back through gate fee's, less goes in more the costs rise. The amount of shite was based on an increase in population that never materialised, let's see independent confirmation of any power generated by the plant. As far as I'm aware like the air scrubbers this has not worked in a long while.  Dam that treble expresso 

Yes I agree. In fact i never bother to recycle card (apart from large cardboard boxes), paper and small plastic bottles. These are all burnable. I would rather see them burned and turned into electricity than transported around europe and probably flytipped somewhere

I do recycle tins and glass as they don't burn

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BriT said:

Well it seems Devon Watson has had an interesting sort of Twitter meltdown tonight where he suggests that they aren’t interested in taking a lot of the recycling as there’s no money in it for them. Which is why they don’t take a huge amount of recycling items that other recycling providers take. So I’d guess nothing in the bins is recycled on that basis as according to him they can’t be bothered taking lots of things as it will cost them money to process it and get rid of it. 

That's not quite what it says, but rather that they need to make money off it to expand to provide the services for items that don't make money.

I suppose the alternative would be increasing rates, which is very popular.

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Wrong. A lot is recycled and sent / sold off island for this purpose. 

Can you confirm what subsidy is paid to the people who collect and send off island our "Recycled" waste?

Looking at the economics of the job from a business point of view (From someone who uses the IOMSPCO several times a week)  I can't see how it is possible to first Process, Clean, Bale  and then send off island, waste for payment without a huge subsidy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Probably, but less than they'd have to put it up to support more types of recycling.

It’s funny how recyclecollect can cover most of the IOM weekly and privately for £30 a month.

https://recyclecollect.im/news/activating-your-subscription

Its not a cheapskate operation either using new vans and kit. But Douglas Corpy can only recycle three or four types of things cost effectively every two weeks. If I was them I’d just be sub contracting to recycle collect who seem to be doing a better job on a shoestring.

Edited by offshoremanxman

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s funny how recyclecollect can cover most of the IOM weekly and privately for £30 a month.

https://recyclecollect.im/news/activating-your-subscription

Its not a cheapskate operation either using new vans and kit. But Douglas Corpy can only recycle three or four types of things cost effectively every two weeks. If I was them I’d just be sub contracting to recycle collect who seem to be doing a better job on a shoestring.

Would you be happy with your rates going up by £720 next year to cover a similar service to recyclecollect but every two weeks?