More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

There could be some small return via traders pitch rent and it will provide a service to all Island people to have a fun day out?

Also, attendees could be provided with a rake to enter a competition see who can rake the most seaweed back to the low tide mark? Win win? The winner could get a generous Carrageen as a prize?

Damned if they don't and.....................

• Haha 1

Douglas council say that the rates for a typical 3 bedroom house are £590 per year. So this means that 17 households  will be paying for this event. 

Has anyone asked them if this is how they would like their rates spent this year and if so what was their reaction.

Perhaps we could have the addresses of the  nominated 17 households. 

As a ratepayers living on Douglas prom it would be good to know. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

Douglas council say that the rates for a typical 3 bedroom house are £590 per year. So this means that 17 households  will be paying for this event. 

Has anyone asked them if this is how they would like their rates spent this year and if so what was their reaction.

Perhaps we could have the addresses of the  nominated 17 households. 

That is just plain silly. Why did you think that was even worth posting?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That is just plain silly. Why did you think that was even worth posting?

thats funny  I have just paid £749  for my Corpy rates for a 3 bedroom semi detached  house  in Douglas ,  but when you add on Mobile toilets  the fee for the event health and safety management plan   risk assessments  ,cover for extra police , stewards   and the clean up after   its going to be a tight run thing   for £10 grand  and while we are on the subject   the £25k swimming raft , Douglas  can be a dangerous beach  does this come with a lifeguard  , red and green flags   and everything else  required  , I wonder if all these things are properly thought through , especially when they cant find £25 K  for a weekly refuse bin collection , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I was just looking at the FB comments under the IOM Newspapers story. Not exactly the best way to garner public support when you’re cutting back core services like bin collections but have ten grand to throw at this. I think I’ve only seen two non negative comments in a sea of general rage from Douglas ratepayers. 

Lots of likes on your Facebook post, but I wouldn't have called it 'rage', don't be so hard on yourself. But you're right, glad I don't pay Douglas rates.

Waste of cash, where is everything going to be set up? What's the time/space usage for Douglas Beach available between tides? 6 hours?

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:23 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Some fresh new blood might help stimulate debate rather than people pushing their own tired agendas and maybe deflect from the personal attacks.

A cull of the old you say? I can see where you are coming from.

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Proposed beach festival (whatever that actually is) is the same weekend as the Full Moon festival which has been planned for months and which looks like it will be a good event.

What a shame. That's not good planning. I have a serious dilemma. Which one do I want to go to the least!

On 4/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Oh another one. No other authorities need to move to a better model than Douglas’ badly implemented one. In fact Braddan uses the much more superior recycle collect model. And if you believe any of those made up nonsense figures they’ve published then that says it all really. 

Oh yes of course. They're making up the figures 🙄

I suppose all the local authorities across the UK that have seen similar increases in recycling rates once bin collections are reduced (and smaller bins issued in many cases) are also making up the figures for some reason known only to yourself 😆

It is a fact that recycling rates increase with fewer bin collections. It is also a fact that many people are lazy fckers so have to be pushed into recycling. Which, of course, they are being now in Douglas and will be across the whole Island soon enough, like it or not!

Edited by Venus
missed word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

People just like to moan don't they? 

Oh nothing ever happens on this Island.

Lets put on a bit of a summer festival. 

No it costs to much. 

My concern with this is that it’s funded by ratepayers.

It will probably be a few crappy stands and maybe some music by some DBC employees who do music in their spare time.

There is already a much better festival on that weekend which will be paid for by the people who want to go to it, not people who don’t.