More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

23 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

At the end of the day you still have a new employee on up to £47K a year. Was the person who moved on that salary pre move? Or was the person who moved promoted to an even better paid job elsewhere. You said this was going to save the paltry amount of £25K a year for the massive inconvenience it causes which will soon be absorbed by additional costs and wages. 

Except they had two employees, they’re still going to have two employees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But we don’t know that’s the case. Most people move to another role for more money. Maybe they created a role he moved into after someone else left. These things are rarely cost neural at all. And likely have added further cost. 

Actually we do know because Amadeus explained it.  It the short term the overall cost will probably be a little less because the new appointees will be going in at the bottom of the scale.  The real problem with DBC (as they still are) is that the person in charge of running the refuse (as this person effectively is) rather than reporting to the Town Clerk or the Borough Engineer as they would in the old days, now probably reports to the Waste Services Manager who reports to the Environmental Services Manager who reports to the CEO.  I may have got tittles wrong or missed out a managerial layer, but you get the idea.

Not only do this hierarchy cost a lot more, but it also manages to make the organisation less responsive.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

On that basis is find it hard to believe what was said and remain very skeptical that it is a replacement role and not a slightly different role at a higher pay grade slotted in between other existing roles. We only have one DBC members word to take for that and frankly I wouldn’t believe anything any of them say to any great degree. 

If you dont believe what anyone says why bother asking in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Largely because the DBC jobs site currently offers several ridiculously sounding jobs:

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/jobs

Such as Assistant Chargehand Gardener (someone to cut grass) and Assistant Arborist (someone to cut hedges) as well as a £50K a year “Corporate Health and Safety Officer” 

No doubt they will claim that none of these are new jobs either. 

They must all be new jobs.  Grass has never needed cutting before!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Largely because the DBC jobs site currently offers several ridiculously sounding jobs:

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/jobs

Such as Assistant Chargehand Gardener (someone to cut grass) and Assistant Arborist (someone to cut hedges) as well as a £50K a year “Corporate Health and Safety Officer” 

No doubt they will claim that none of these are new jobs either. 

Saw them advertising on facebook...

...no pic upload allowed in their comments section there though...so I'll post it here for Amadeus.

Bins already nearly full after 1 week!

FB_IMG_1668458513927.jpg

Screenshot_20221114-204049.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

On that basis is find it hard to believe what was said and remain very skeptical that it is a replacement role and not a slightly different role at a higher pay grade slotted in between other existing roles. We only have one DBC members word to take for that and frankly I wouldn’t believe anything any of them say to any great degree. 

That means there’s no point replying to any of your questions in future as you don’t believe me anyway. Not a great basis for debate. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, Viddy well said:

Hi Amadeus,

* There was presumably a study that concluded that 100% generic black-bin waste would translate neatly into 50% recyclable waste and 50% other. Would it be possible to see a copy of that study and its conclusions because recent news reports seem to suggest citizens are driving their cars to the amenity site to dump their excess, which can't be a benefit for the environment.

* There will have been an impact assessment made, that predicted the risks of the change and their mitigations. Can we see that?

* Would it be possible to get a link to the public consultation that was conducted?

* Would you be able to publish the guidance to householders that was issued (I was one of those who missed it)?

Finally, would you be so kind as to indicate the names of the elected officials who proposed this reform (I'm not interested in those who supported it or voted for it, but those who brought it to the agenda) so that I can hold people to account in the next local elections?

In a previous post you lament that the chamber is empty during debates. Are you able to demonstrate that it would make any difference if constituents did turn up, or would they be politely ignored until they went away?

Just to pop back to this one. I know you posted this before and I’m currently compiling the answers. Unfortunately getting relevant info out of town hall isn’t as easy as I had hoped for various reasons, some of which I will discuss with them and the media person during a meeting soon. In the meanwhile I’ll post what I can find as I believe that transparency is important and that we should be doing more to keep people informed about what we do and why we do it etc. This may be an anonymous forum but in my mind those are valid questions from a constituent and no different if you had emailed them to me so they deserve a proper answer. My apologies for the delay in this. Some of that was down to me having a lot on my plate and some was outside of my control. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Just to pop back to this one. I know you posted this before and I’m currently compiling the answers. Unfortunately getting relevant info out of town hall isn’t as easy as I had hoped for various reasons, some of which I will discuss with them and the media person during a meeting soon. In the meanwhile I’ll post what I can find as I believe that transparency is important and that we should be doing more to keep people informed about what we do and why we do it etc. This may be an anonymous forum but in my mind those are valid questions from a constituent and no different if you had emailed them to me so they deserve a proper answer. My apologies for the delay in this. Some of that was down to me having a lot on my plate and some was outside of my control. 

You seem to be turning into Callister...

• Like 2

Offshore, if you are totally honest do you recycle everything that you can?  If you do, you may find that a fortnightly collection is fine. 

My collection is today, there isn't enough in my bin to make hauling it to the roadside worthwhile, it will wait for the next collection.  That is often the case. 

I have posted before about the recycling and domestic waste collections started when I lived in the UK, must be 25 years ago.  It worked fine, and there was no platform like this to hurl abuse at the local councillors. You just did it and we had problems with urban foxes, (I didn't, I quite liked them), as well as the usual assortment of scavenging animals. 

It is a mindset and much less stressful to comply and work with it positively, than continually feel you have been wronged by your local authority and trying to illustrate how it is so severely impacting your life. 

• Like 3