More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

17 hours ago, Manxieover65 said:

Won't happen though as no idiot will rent one if they don't have the option of car whatever the deluded green council muppets think 

To be fair, probably a quarter of my friends in their 30s who live in Douglas don't even have driving licences. The ones in their 20s it jumps to probably around half. There certainly is a section of the population who don't need car parking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

To be fair, probably a quarter of my friends in their 30s who live in Douglas don't even have driving licences. The ones in their 20s it jumps to probably around half. There certainly is a section of the population who don't need car parking.

Yep, I know plenty you would like to have a car but saving for a deposit to buy property, so not a priority, in our road a couple of people have dropped from 2 cars to one, car use is only going one way now. except in the elderly and people from Jurby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Manxieover65 said:

Especially daft when these apartments are designed for key workers to rent if I heard correctly . Can just imagine a nurse getting called into work in an emergency cycling to the hospital . 

I'm not sure it the councillors are either deluded into thinking these people won't get cars , paid off by some twisted individuals or are actually plain stupid.  Looking and hearing most of them I think it's most likely the last option . 

Sooner these clowns are ousted the better , elections can't come soon enough . Then they can go concentrate on making decent YouTube videos and whatever else they do when not making stupid remarks and decisions . It's clear the issue with these developments.  Make some parking or refuse to give anyone living in them permits to take other households parking spots and make sure traffic wardens work past 5 around the area .

Won't happen though as no idiot will rent one if they don't have the option of car whatever the deluded green council muppets think 

This development is by the MDC not DBC. 

Also try and step out of your bubble once in a while. As others have already said, not everyone has or wants a car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I couldn’t quite work out what Shoprite’s objection was, unless they’re worried it will affect them if they try and expand in the future. And I’m not sure why they’d be upset by a load of flats opposite their supermarket and not much else in the vicinity, I’d have thought they’d have liked the custom. I’d get it more if the residents in Little Switzerland were worried about the extra cars, but it’s not like they struggle for off-street parking up there.

As for Westmorland, I can see why existing residents would be worried. It’s bad enough for them to park as it is without adding a load more flats to the mix.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Also try and step out of your bubble once in a while. As others have already said, not everyone has or wants a car. 

Not everyone wants one nor can everyone afford one.

But the issue at Westmorland is that some new residents will want one. So if there’s no space built into the development for cars then those cars are just going to get parked in neighbouring streets. I’d not be overjoyed if I was living on those streets.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Indeed, but many of those who developments around this area seem aimed at will need their own transport for work reasons.  Either because of shift working or because it's actually required to have your own transport as part of the job, as with many government posts.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Omobono said:

white collar and a better union NALGO 

The National and Local Government Officers' Association was a British trade union representing mostly local government "white collar" workers. It was formed in 1905 as the National Association of Local Government Officers, and changed its full name in 1952 while retaining its widely used acronym, NALGO. By the late 1970s it was the largest British white collar trade union, with over 700,000 members. It was one of three unions which combined to form UNISON in 1993.

(my bold) Only 30 years out of date!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The National and Local Government Officers' Association was a British trade union representing mostly local government "white collar" workers. It was formed in 1905 as the National Association of Local Government Officers, and changed its full name in 1952 while retaining its widely used acronym, NALGO. By the late 1970s it was the largest British white collar trade union, with over 700,000 members. It was one of three unions which combined to form UNISON in 1993.

(my bold) Only 30 years out of date!

Typical union and DBC nonsense. No where else am I aware of librarians paid more than Sparkys. 

On 4/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, Satan666 said:

The petition I signed at the time clearly stated it was to be presented to DBC. From it I quote “This petition calls on the Douglas Borough Council to either reinstate the weekly bin collection schedule with immediate effect or for Councillor Wells and Horning to resign.” 
Well, unless something is done with it, nothing will happen. Checking on the rules of engagement first with the council may have saved Ver Elst time in verifying signatures, therefore allowing him to engage in the correct way rather than just spout off on FB. FB posts are opinions, as is this, it doesn’t mean anyone has to do anything. Presented in the correct legal manner means that dbc would at least have to consider it. It’s not rocket science.

Anyone know whether Ver Elst has presented this petition yet? No more signatures on this for the past month so what’s he waiting for? Additionally he claims everyone who has signed it is a Douglas resident - I beg to differ as I signed it but dont live in Douglas. Maybe he’d make a good politician? ..

Edited by Guest