More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

They should look at getting a SumUp- cheaper than cash handling fees-but I’d agree that Frank’s tweet could have said the same thing without being an arse about it.

I’m Im genuinely surprised they don’t have a SumUp though, even the excellent regiment/air museum down at the airport has one for donations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Lots of people don’t ever have cash on them.  Like I said, if they don’t have a card machine then they should accept bank transfers.

Its 2023

I only ever use cash to jet wash the car at a garage and that is a right PITA.

The tweet is fairly pointless but it’s a fact that insisting on cash these days is stupid and will cost you custom.

I have to disagree. I wouldn’t feel comfortable using my card for any transaction under £15 to £20, say. And thus always make sure I have this level of cash in my pocket.

Probably an age/ generational thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Probably an age/ generational thing

Absolutely.

I honestly haven’t used cash for anything other than washing the car for months, probably years.

Why would you?  I am genuinely interested.  It’s inconvenient to carry about and most places much prefer you to use contactless now as it’s cheaper and easier for them.

The only things in my pockets are a phone and a car or motorbike key.

Edited by Ativa

31 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Absolutely.

I honestly haven’t used cash for anything other than washing the car for months, probably years.

Why would you?  I am genuinely interested.  It’s inconvenient to carry about and most places much prefer you to use contactless now as it’s cheaper and easier for them.

Probably habit.
It’s no less convenient than carrying a phone, car/ motorbike key.

Also a feeling of security or insurance. If you find yourself stuck somewhere it can help you. You can say to someone “ I will give you  a tenner if you can tow me out of this puddle/ ditch with your 4x4” because they won’t have a card reader on them. OK it’s a  flawed example but you get the premise.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Probably habit.
It’s no less convenient than carrying a phone, car/ motorbike key.

Also a feeling of security or insurance. If you find yourself stuck somewhere it can help you. You can say to someone “ I will give you  a tenner if you can tow me out of this puddle/ ditch with your 4x4” because they won’t have a card reader on them. OK it’s a  flawed example but you get the premise.

Or maybe from your reaction you don’t !

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

but I’d agree that Frank’s tweet could have said the same thing without being an arse about it.

The Douglas representatives don’t seem to be particularly wise in their use of social media that’s for sure. What if they’ve damaged the future takings of the facility with such an unwise Tweet? Does the camera obscura pay rates? It would be ironic if they couldn’t afford to pay this years rates as a councillor wrecked their takings by giving them adverse publicity via his own Twitter account. 

Edited by Broadcasterman
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Broadcasterman said:

The Douglas representatives don’t seem to be particularly wise in their use of social media that’s for sure. What if they’ve damaged the future takings of the facility with such an unwise Tweet? Does the camera obscura pay rates? It would be ironic if they couldn’t afford to pay this years rates as a councillor wrecked their takings by giving them adverse publicity via his own Twitter account. 

I do think it was a very silly thing to say on Twitter ( not that I use the thing myself) from a Douglas Counsellor about a facility in Douglas (well actually anywhere).

I am in Ramsey myself  and come Christmas time I attach an envelope containing  a tenner or so to the handle of our refuse bin ( used to be called a dustbin) for the refuse collectors as a small token of appreciation for their work over the year. 

Well we do get weekly collections 

I am hardly going to put my credit card in said envelope )

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of penultimate paragraph
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Try my executive-style mobile finance clip. Only £9.99. I'm thinking of doing a solid gold version for people who are so rich they don't need money:

2023-05-21-195420-DSC_8909-crop.thumb.JPG.028d32fbf767a5e9e5db692f86189dfd.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Try my executive-style mobile finance clip. Only £9.99. I'm thinking of doing a solid gold version for people who are so rich they don't need money:

2023-05-21-195420-DSC_8909-crop.thumb.JPG.028d32fbf767a5e9e5db692f86189dfd.JPG

WTF had how much money you have got to do with how you spend it?

Top tip.  If we all went cashless then the majority of businesses would have more profit.  The only ones who still want cash are the ones who dodge tax, so we would actually all be better off.

Edited by Ativa

I don't really think @Amadeus should be too upset about not getting into Camera Obscura.  He'd only discover that instead of using the latest high tech imaging technology, it actually uses lenses and mirrors.  He'd be so disappointed.

Saying "Nobody carries cash anymore" is such a silly tech-bro thing to come out with.  It's demonstrably untrue, even if only a small percentage of people do and in fact most people still do, even if they use it less than they might have in the past.  In fact there is a reply-thread to Frank's post that shows that the Victorian Society has analysed the situation and concluded that it wasn't justified for various financial and non-financial reasons:

image.png.3f02a2ad88aa3d1c28adb3a62122735b.png

To be honest you only wish that various government organisations would engage in this depth of analysis before buying the latest bit of kit someone in management had been convinced was 'essential'.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2