More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

I really hope your dog gets better soon.    There was someone on FB thanking a couple who came to his aid and took him and his dog to the vets after suffering a seizure on Douglas each the dog is recovering apparently but it was a really horrid experience for both the dog and owner.    He didn’t say but I got the impression that the dog was not subject to fits.    Perhaps the vets should be alerted although your vet may have done this.     Horrible experience perhaps Manx Radio would give a shout out about this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I really hope your dog gets better soon.    There was someone on FB thanking a couple who came to his aid and took him and his dog to the vets after suffering a seizure on Douglas each the dog is recovering apparently but it was a really horrid experience for both the dog and owner.    He didn’t say but I got the impression that the dog was not subject to fits.    Perhaps the vets should be alerted although your vet may have done this.     Horrible experience perhaps Manx Radio would give a shout out about this.

My dog has never had a fit previously.  He was extremely fit and healthy.  

1 minute ago, NoTail said:

It's not clear to me what the dog issue is here. Dogs will go and eat all sorts of what we would consider lethal. Douglas beach will have seaweed, washed up detritus and rotting carcuses. 

Surely Douglas corpy can't be expected to cleanse the beach each day.

When do they actually clean it?  Weekly or monthly, how often?  I don't think anyone expects them to clean it daily? I most certainly don't. 

4 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I don’t think that is the issue Lilly is just trying to alert people to the dangers of this and prevent other dogs and owners having this horrible experience.   Douglas beach was great in the day now it is awful.

Thank you for your reply.  You are correct in what you say.   Douglas Beach, rather sadly, is awful in some parts.  I usually walk it every day. 

I can some see improvements made recently, but it needs to be managed better.  A seaweed removal machine maybe a good start? 

13 hours ago, Lilly said:

Thank you for your reply.  You are correct in what you say.   Douglas Beach, rather sadly, is awful in some parts.  I usually walk it every day. 

I can some see improvements made recently, but it needs to be managed better.  A seaweed removal machine maybe a good start? 

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's a beach, a wild, uncontrolled  environment, so unfortunately you've got to expect anything to wash up there - seaweed, rotten carcasses, contaminated palm oil, industrial or fishing waste, even explosive devices from Beaufort's Dyke. 

Best to keep your dog under control there for everyone's sake. Dogs aren't supposed to be on the beach until after 6pm, and it's in everyone's interest to keep them on a lead so they aren't eating stuff they shouldn't, biting people they shouldn't or pooping where they shouldn't. There are definitely better places to walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lilly said:

I don't think that's going to be feasible Lily.

I always make sure my dog goes nowhere near the seaweed or anything else that's been washed up. Maybe instead just make sure you walk your dog on the shoreline instead. It's probably safer. I really like Douglas beach for dog walking but there are times when I give it a complete miss depending on the tides, the smell and the amount of detritus deposited.

I hope your boy makes a full recovery. 

• Thanks 1

I know it is old ground but I cannot see what the gentleman on the tractor does to improve the shore he seems to shove the seaweed and other bits and pieces into piles but I never see anyone removing these piles of whatever has been gathered.  This problem seems to have arisen since the breakwater was built it must have altered the tidal flow that carried the seaweed + bits out to sea.     Douglas beach was fine when I was a kid a bit stoney around Broadway but used to get crowded.   The whole excercise seems pointless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I know it is old ground but I cannot see what the gentleman on the tractor does to improve the shore he seems to shove the seaweed and other bits and pieces into piles but I never see anyone removing these piles of whatever has been gathered.  This problem seems to have arisen since the breakwater was built it must have altered the tidal flow that carried the seaweed + bits out to sea.     Douglas beach was fine when I was a kid a bit stoney around Broadway but used to get crowded.   The whole excercise seems pointless.

It’s clearly not pointless for the digger driver. Good gig if you wangle it !! 

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

It’s clearly not pointless for the digger driver. Good gig if you wangle it !! 

Its not as good a gig as people think.

Any machine, tractor of digger spending most of its working day on the shore will suffer from massive corrosion problems not just on the Chassis but more troublesome in the electrics/ electronics.

56 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Its not as good a gig as people think.

Any machine, tractor of digger spending most of its working day on the shore will suffer from massive corrosion problems not just on the Chassis but more troublesome in the electrics/ electronics.

Yes you’re right. But is the guy driving the owner ? If not like I said it’s a great gig. Not a heavy contract either . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's a beach, a wild, uncontrolled  environment, so unfortunately you've got to expect anything to wash up there - seaweed, rotten carcasses, contaminated palm oil, industrial or fishing waste, even explosive devices from Beaufort's Dyke. 

Best to keep your dog under control there for everyone's sake. Dogs aren't supposed to be on the beach until after 6pm, and it's in everyone's interest to keep them on a lead so they aren't eating stuff they shouldn't, biting people they shouldn't or pooping where they shouldn't. There are definitely better places to walk.

Actually it's 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.l, part of the beach is fully accessible to dogs and their owners at all times. 

I have never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas Beach.

• Thanks 1