More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Allocated a larger bin, rather than 2 standard bins, and the bin will be marked so the refuse operatives will collect it from next to the front door, rather than me having to take to end of drive.

DRAW.

2 people.

The thrust was very much about increase recycling and reduce waste volume. Why haven’t they been honest about it? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

The thrust was very much about increase recycling and reduce waste volume. Why haven’t they been honest about it? 

but peoples recycling is still their waste , it isn't like you save up all your empty bean tins and then turn them into car bonnets for ford in your living room.  as mentioned earlier the recycling should be done after collection at a  refuse recycling centre , ideally next to the incinerator so the burnables don't need to be transported again off site again

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

but peoples recycling is still their waste , it isn't like you save up all your empty bean tins and then turn them into car bonnets for ford in your living room.  as mentioned earlier the recycling should be done after collection at a  refuse recycling centre , ideally next to the incinerator so the burnables don't need to be transported again off site again

I’ve no objection per se to pre sorting.  Just the silly blue and green boxes with insubstantial lids are not well thought out.

Im happy with separate bins for metal, plastic and glass.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve no objection per se to pre sorting.  Just the silly blue and green boxes with insubstantial lids are not well thought out.

Im happy with separate bins for metal, plastic and glass.

but that's you ,  you have room to have multiple bins and the time/inclination to try and do your bit which is no bad thing and i'm not criticising at all , but as this method  means multiple collections anyway  surely we are better to have one collection for everything and then employ a few bods and  the machinery to sort it in one location , easier in real terms for the householder.  people produce the same amount of waste whether they sort the recycling themselves and deal with what they can on their own time or someone else deals with it elsewhere.  if this pre sorting multiple bins method was actually practicable in real terms for everyone and efficient the places that tried it would still be doing it rather than stopping the process.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gizo said:

40 pages and you still fckn moaning about the friggin bins. Jesus fckn wept. 

No, we're moaning because there's a lack of due process in the way the current DBC administration makes decisions that affect thousands of people. We're moaning because risks, impacts and contingencies that a five year old could predict were ignored and instead, the juvenile passions of a single council member were humoured. We're moaning because there was no consultation and the reasons for the decision have been exposed as duplicitous.

And finally, we're moaning because it appears that our elected officials don't seem able to get to the audit trail of the decisions that stand in their name. Amadeus has been unable to unearth the documents that I requested October 11th. My conclusion is that either (a) our elected officials are divorced from policy making or (b) those measures were never taken, which is why the documents don't exist, viz no one assessed the risks, attempted to calculate the translation of general waste to recycled waste. All of which explains why we now have bin police, queues at the amenity centre, complaints on Facebook (with a fast-track option to getting bin police attendance), an obviously flawed system of bin stickers, seemingly redundant refuse collection services and a swell of Douglas voter opinion that will sweep aside the architects of this ill-considered move despite the soundness of the underlying desire to encourage recycling. The baby is going to be thrown out with the bath water and no future Douglas council is going to to able to approach this topic sensibly in the future.

Frank - I know you tried your best. You failed (and I don't think it's your fault).

VW.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

deleted post as comments have been made on another forum that the pictures posted by Douglas City Council from tonights Christmas lights switch on were actually from a previous year - not this year - who knows - amateurish is still the key word 

Edited by daisy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Viddy well said:

No, we're moaning because there's a lack of due process in the way the current DBC administration makes decisions that affect thousands of people. We're moaning because risks, impacts and contingencies that a five year old could predict were ignored and instead, the juvenile passions of a single council member were humoured. We're moaning because there was no consultation and the reasons for the decision have been exposed as duplicitous.

And finally, we're moaning because it appears that our elected officials don't seem able to get to the audit trail of the decisions that stand in their name. Amadeus has been unable to unearth the documents that I requested October 11th. My conclusion is that either (a) our elected officials are divorced from policy making or (b) those measures were never taken, which is why the documents don't exist, viz no one assessed the risks, attempted to calculate the translation of general waste to recycled waste. All of which explains why we now have bin police, queues at the amenity centre, complaints on Facebook (with a fast-track option to getting bin police attendance), an obviously flawed system of bin stickers, seemingly redundant refuse collection services and a swell of Douglas voter opinion that will sweep aside the architects of this ill-considered move despite the soundness of the underlying desire to encourage recycling. The baby is going to be thrown out with the bath water and no future Douglas council is going to to able to approach this topic sensibly in the future.

Frank - I know you tried your best. You failed (and I don't think it's your fault).

VW.

I have some of the info already but want to wait for a meeting tomorrow first where the subject is how we generally handle media and online forums etc. Unfortunately nothing is straight forward in that place and I’m getting increasingly frustrated. But answers will come shortly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daisy said:

deleted post as comments have been made on another forum that the pictures posted by Douglas City Council from tonights Christmas lights switch on were actually from a previous year - not this year - who knows - amateurish is still the key word 

??? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daisy said:

deleted post as comments have been made on another forum that the pictures posted by Douglas City Council from tonight's Christmas lights switch-on were actually from a previous year - not this year - who knows?

I just heard the same thing minutes ago along with the suggestion it was less well-attended than previous years.

Is it something we really need to care about though? Seems trivial... 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

I just heard the same thing minutes ago along with the suggestion it was less well-attended than previous years.

Is it something we really need to care about though? Seems trivial... 

Less well attended yet there are concerns re crowd control.  The main issue seems to be the prom lights, that and the lack of the bow on the front of 1886. Not sure what the real issue is though. 

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s just more nonsense delivered by a council that simply hasn’t got a clue. I’m amazed that they are having a meeting to discuss adverse media and social media comments. I’d have thought if you delivered sensible things that the people paying for them actually wanted then the social media feedback would generally be good. 

No, that nonsense about crowd control was delivered by a particular individual on the FB thread. 

I just don't know what the issue was relating to the switch on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

Allocated a larger bin, rather than 2 standard bins, and the bin will be marked so the refuse operatives will collect it from next to the front door, rather than me having to take to end of drive.

DRAW.

2 people.

Sorry John, what did you request a second bin for,  ordinary waste bin or recycling bin?  Completely agree with you that the boxes with a shower cap are pretty impractical, but what was it you needed?  

The thrust has always been about increasing recycling, what have they been dishonest about?