More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

its time the Douglas beach was left to the birds and wildlife until next spring , just a waste of ratepayers money moving seaweed about now  , didn't see anyone using the beach huts this summer either  ,  and thats after some of the best weather in years , just let the beach go to nature now,  the starlings, covids and the gulls love turning over the rotting seaweed looking for a decent feed , but dont mention the swimming raft another councillors pipe dream and a penny on the rates to pay for it , waste of money  ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I don't think that's going to be feasible Lily.

I always make sure my dog goes nowhere near the seaweed or anything else that's been washed up. Maybe instead just make sure you walk your dog on the shoreline instead. It's probably safer. I really like Douglas beach for dog walking but there are times when I give it a complete miss depending on the tides, the smell and the amount of detritus deposited.

I hope your boy makes a full recovery. 

Yes,  l think that's a good advice. Thank you, Roxanne.

I do generally keep a very close eye on him.   

He's turned a corner today, thank goodness.

I have had many inquiries about his condition, as he is a much-loved dog with lots of friends on Douglas Beach.  A bit of a Teddy bear of a dog.  Little Monkey 🐒 

Edited by Lilly
Deleted repeated word
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its time the Douglas beach was left to the birds and wildlife until next spring , just a waste of ratepayers money moving seaweed about now  , didn't see anyone using the beach huts this summer either  ,  and thats after some of the best weather in years , just let the beach go to nature now,  the starlings, covids and the gulls love turning over the rotting seaweed looking for a decent feed , but dont mention the swimming raft another councillors pipe dream and a penny on the rates to pay for it , waste of money  ! 

The beach huts have been used this year, mostly on very hot days but much less than l was expecting.

Not sure where the raft has gone? Has someone borrowed it?

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

It’s clearly not pointless for the digger driver. Good gig if you wangle it !! 

Actually, Numbnuts, l  would love to have go on that digger.  Maybe DBC could book it out as an experience day, just like driving a tram!  I can't imagine doing too much damage to Douglas Beach :)

46 minutes ago, Lilly said:

ave never seen a dog bite anyone on Douglas Beach.

I have.

Dogs should be off leads on beaches or in glens etc ever IMO.

Maybe there should be a part of the beach, or particular beaches assigned for dogs to be off lead that the rest of us can avoid?

We are dog owners but ours is always on lead.  It still doesn’t stop other dog owners letting theirs run up to him being “friendly “ though 🙄

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I have.

Dogs should be off leads on beaches or in glens etc ever IMO.

Maybe there should be a part of the beach, or particular beaches assigned for dogs to be off lead that the rest of us can avoid?

We are dog owners but ours is always on lead.  It still doesn’t stop other dog owners letting theirs run up to him being “friendly “ though 🙄

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I walk along the prom most nights and the beach huts have had a load of use from whoever rents them, families outside with kids playing, doors open loads of activity there.

• Like 1

Thank you for your sensible comments.  There is actually a small area on Douglas Beach designated for dogs at all times, but it is shared with all other users.

I would like to add at DBC, they have a huge beach to manage with a probably extremely overstretched budget.  Many of us Douglas rate payers enjoy a varied use of beach. It used by large number of the community local and visitors alike. 

My post was more of awareness.  l myself, in the future, will take more caution when walking my dog on the beach.

33 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Could it be Algae build up rather than the actual seaweed? Said to be toxic?

If it were the salt the Dog would just throw up and be on its way? That's how I sober up!

or Bird flu?

Yes, l was thinking more Algae than anything.  Thank you Kopek 😊 

• Like 1

The clearing of the seaweed, a long long debated subject on here! ( it's not still going on is it???).................and yet it crops up all the time. Would seem that DBC have bit the bullet and saved ratepayers some money but it will crop up again and again!!!

Truth is, the vast majority of ratepayers do not use the beach! So why should they pay for it???

Post a ☠️, let the buyer beware!!!

Just now, Kopek said:

The clearing of the seaweed, a long long debated subject on here! ( it's not still going on is it???).................and yet it crops up all the time. Would seem that DBC have bit the bullet and saved ratepayers some money but it will crop up again and again!!!

Truth is, the vast majority of ratepayers do not use the beach! So why should they pay for it???

Post a ☠️, let the buyer beware!!!

Not sure l agree with you. But love the last bit, really funny 😄