More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Just now, Omobono said:

Yes they  used to be called Groynes and the corporation let them deteriorate to such an extend  that they fell into disrepair ,while you are in the UK go and look at some of the beaches in the south or England , not many without groynes  and nobody hauling seaweed down the beach only to be washed up again on the next tide , 

I hope you will be back for Mayors Sunday , the councils biggest event 

Groynes aren't there for seaweed. They were put there to stop longshore drift, which gradually moves the precious golden sand off the beach - not ideal for a beach resort back in the heyday of Douglas. They've been removed since the decline of tourism doesn't justify the spend on maintaining them. The days of thousands of deckchairs covering the sandy beach has long gone. 

Beaches in the south of England unsurprisingly have the same challenges of seaweed removal, groynes and all. Google it, you'll note that the bathing water studies of resorts like Eastbourne note that seaweed sometimes covers the beach.

13 minutes ago, The Bastard said:
23 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Summer is over , lets let the beach revert back to nature  and stop wasting money  and polluting the atmosphere with diesel fumes  ,time someone was looking at this contract 

People complain endlessly when it's "left to nature".  The seaweed rots, and angry people start ranting about sewage when it starts unsurprisingly to smell

Typical DBC, useless…

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

When did they effectively vanish?   Anyone got a year - or a link?

Within the last 20 years I think, I can remember a lot of DBC debate and a Councillor (a Mrs?) either had her way over the removal or was put in charge of it.

• Thanks 1

Why increase the harbour wall, how is this going to affect tides/sand and seaweed on the foreshore. Then again it is McNichole, must be like Ashford knows everything about everything. Sent him away to look at buying a knew sweeper. Not the fleet manager and mechanics, lets send a meter reader . Trips for the boys dont you know.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

That’s more recently than I expected.   So the groynes were in place prior to 2020, but in a state of poor repair?

Seemingly. They're on the Google maps imagery from 2010, along with the usual amount of seaweed. 

image.thumb.png.b0f65fc8f9aa3abd854819e869e97c45.png

Stock Photos of removal in July 2020 here : https://www.alamy.com/groynes-being-removed-on-douglas-beach-image385235846.html

Commentary on Douglas Sea Defences here : http://abc.org.im/BAR/BAR110 2020-10-20 Sea walls promenades and groynes.pdf

Edited by The Bastard
  • Thanks 1

since the groynes were removed the scour on the beach is starting to expose the old sewer pipes , the one at broadway has always been visible but others on the northern side are being exposed , then because there are no Groynes the sand and shingle  are scoured and eventuly  it all   accumulates at the high water mark , 

if we have some decent on shore easterly gales this autumn  the whole lot will be up on the promenade , walkway and road   

you can hardly call this beach management ,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

since the groynes were removed the scour on the beach is starting to expose the old sewer pipes , the one at broadway has always been visible but others on the northern side are being exposed , then because there are no Groynes the sand and shingle  are scoured and eventuly  it all   accumulates at the high water mark , 

if we have some decent on shore easterly gales this autumn  the whole lot will be up on the promenade , walkway and road   

you can hardly call this beach management ,

They look visible on satellite images from 13 years ago though. 

5 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Dogs biting people - yes, Douglas beach, somewhere I spend a lot of time in the summer. I've been bitten there by off-the-lead dogs over the years, even this summer after I specifically picked a time when dogs were not supposed to be there to avoid them ! I was pretty pissed-off - the beach is a multi-use space, and out-of-control dogs interfere with that. 

Have a trawl through local Facebook groups, and you'll see occasional posts from people whose dogs and children have been nibbled. Unsurprisingly, letting a dog be illegally at large on the beach causes problems, hence the by-laws.  I know they are people's fur babies, but to some of us they're a just a pain in the arse that shits everywhere, barks, fights and bites. I've no problem with them if they're under control and on a lead, as the law says, but dog owners tend to be irresponsible - maybe Toxocara at work ? 

I agree, times are confusing ! DBC's website specifically says 10 to 6pm, whilst the 2018 by-laws say another thing. It should be clearer, and say one thing.

image.thumb.png.0f40722f92a0b9fba2352b2d40318a13.png

You're right, I haven't read the notices at the beach recently (I don't go with a dog so I have no need to study them in detail) - but then neither have most of the dog owners apparently. I don't think the dogs can read them.

I'm sorry you have had bad experiences around dogs.  They give alot of pleasure to lots of people.  Like humans, they  all have different personalities, but unlike some humans, they are extraordinary loyal.

If you ever want to meet a placid, happy dog whom l can guarantee will not nibble you, poo on you, etc. There is a group of lovely people (doggy types) who are kind, caring individuals who would welcome you to say hello to their dogs.  Meeting place! Well l think you know that already.  Lilly 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And if we don’t do it people will be like “the seaweed stinks the council is doing nothing”. Can’t win unless you do a large scale project to address the tidal flows. 

They should have put tractor money into infrastructure on the beach like the Victorians did,  fools following fools in Corpy,  pretend to be wanting to go electric, green whatever latest fad is but power a tractor to go round and round chairing its tail rounding up seaweed and then the next tide disperses it again.  Idiots. 

7 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

They should have put tractor money into infrastructure on the beach like the Victorians did,  fools following fools in Corpy,  pretend to be wanting to go electric, green whatever latest fad is but power a tractor to go round and round chairing its tail rounding up seaweed and then the next tide disperses it again.  Idiots. 

Yes it does all seem pointless, as the tractor just does it again the next day.  But is there an actual, valid reason for this?  I've often wondered?

8 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Didn’t I read further upthread that the groynes had nothing to do with seaweed and didn’t stop it accumulating?   So what kind of infrastructure did you have in mind?