More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Ideally we should do a big project to change the tidal flows in the bay but that's mega £££. I did suggest we just get a few trucks and get the sand from Peel and PE. I mean they won't miss it right? 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Ideally we should do a big project to change the tidal flows in the bay but that's mega £££. I did suggest we just get a few trucks and get the sand from Peel and PE. I mean they won't miss it right? 

if you replace the groynes the sand will replace itself , let nature do the work   ! no need to ship sand in from elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was the shift in tidal pattern caused by the breakwater extension not the cause ? I'm sure i read of this a few years back?

I think in the 50's, post war, to relieve unemployment work schemes were started, my ould fella did "Tide work" on groyne installation, the Marine drive bridge replacements, similar, a good few blokes were shipped to Linconshire to harvest sugar beet, different days now 🙄

10 hours ago, The Bastard said:

There's always hope.

Some of it has to be down to managing expectations - like buying a house on the TT course then complaining about the racing, seaweed is going to be a factor when you live by the sea. 

Yes, l think l see what you mean.   Well, you are right about managing expectations  My garage bill for my eco car yet again skyrocketed, and apparently parts needed replacing due to salt damage from living close to the sea. 😄 

Thank you for the other information; it was interesting, particularly the bottles to sand, l can just imagine a great community project with a drop-off facility.  Result; lovely golden beaches ⛱ 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes, l think l see what you mean.   Well, you are right about managing expectations  My garage bill for my eco car yet again skyrocketed, and apparently parts needed replacing due to salt damage from living close to the sea. 😄 

Thank you for the other information; it was interesting, particularly the bottles to sand, l can just imagine a great community project with a drop-off facility.  Result; lovely golden beaches ⛱ 

We can dream. The reality is that other places are doing it - I love the passion of some of the projects, they have some amazing people driving them forward. The machinery is initially expensive to start, and it needs lots of energy to get the community and commercial partners involved, but it must be immensely satisfying to see an unloved waste product literally turning into beach. 

Commercial realities get in the way of course - local authorities recycling glass are really just doing it for profit from reselling the results rather than any green motivation. It would take some hefty persuasion to get them to back a genuine environmental project for its own reasons.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Bastard said:

We can dream. The reality is that other places are doing it - I love the passion of some of the projects, they have some amazing people driving them forward. The machinery is initially expensive to start, and it needs lots of energy to get the community and commercial partners involved, but it must be immensely satisfying to see an unloved waste product literally turning into beach. 

Commercial realities get in the way of course - local authorities recycling glass are really just doing it for profit from reselling the results rather than any green motivation. It would take some hefty persuasion to get them to back a genuine environmental project for its own reasons.   

The glass bottles here are crushed down to an aggregate, not as fine as sand but smaller than gravel. Its good for block paving. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Not what I heard or been shown. 

then lets see the report of what you have been shown ,you are  very good at publishing youtube  clips,   lets see one that shows  how the replacement of the Groynes  have no effect on the retention of sand on the beach , either that or declare it a nature reserve and watch the birds feeding on the flies and  sand hoppers living in the seaweed, hauling the seaweed up and down the beach everyday is just a complete waste o time and ratepayers money 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

then lets see the report of what you have been shown ,you are  very good at publishing youtube  clips,   lets see one that shows  how the replacement of the Groynes  have no effect on the retention of sand on the beach , either that or declare it a nature reserve and watch the birds feeding on the flies and  sand hoppers living in the seaweed, hauling the seaweed up and down the beach everyday is just a complete waste o time and ratepayers money 

I think there are enough videos about Germans and beach defences on YouTube. But I’ll check my notes when I’m back as I did request info on this before. 

• Haha 2